“We were part of the scene, it's so canal-view.”

Canalview Hotel Ter Reien
Ranked #73 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We did not expect the great room we had. In the official photo above, we were at the window at the extreme left (of the grey buildings) at canal level. If one sat in the window alcove reading, one received waves from the tour boats passing a few meters away. (We jokingly discussed - but did not execute - walking nude deeper in the room to give those who were looking in windows a story to take home. We're in our late 60s so this is not about exhibitionism; the point is that it is so close to the canal)

Negatives: (1) tiny bathroom, like many European hotels that have added en suite bathrooms to historic properties but if I were overweight I'd have been touching the shower curtain and walls simultaneously. (2) staff seldom at desk, though can be summoned by a bell. (3) extra one-time charge for wi-fi and/or computer access.

Positives: (1) location, a few blocks from downtown either by the high street or along the canal, (2) canal view!!! (3) price, (4) good and ample breakfast, including soft-boiled eggs I can never quite make that well at home, (5) helpful staff, when they're available (see previous para.) They're even a couple of doors away from a Michelin *** restaurant if you want to blow several times the money you've saved by staying here, and across the street from a simpler restaurant run by the same chef and his son.

Room Tip: While interior rooms exist, the reason (besides location) for staying here is the canal view. Go for...

Reviewed 20 May 2014

The reviews were a bit mixed so was prepared for disappointment but couldn't have been more wrong - this is a gem of a hotel! The location is perfect, staff helpful, breakfasts amazing. Rooms were basic but comfortable, lovely big bathroom with hot power shower, fresh towels daily. Wi-fi worked perfectly, lovely courtyard overlooking canal for guests to use, vending machine which sold wine! Would definitely return. Very good value for money.

Room Tip: Room 109 was good!
1  Thank ajeffery61
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This is the 4th hotel I have stayed in whilst in Bruges and was the best by far. Location is excellent, simply laid out but really very nice. Would definitely recommend a canal view room. I usually turn my nose up at the prospect of paying extra for a view but in this case it was absolutely justified. I only booked it because that was the only room available but very pleased I did. I would happily return

Room Tip: Book a canal view room- worth every extra penny
1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I only tend to stay in budget hotels, and have done so in Bruge, Pisa, Prague, NYC and a few places in Asia ... my room in this hotel was possibly the most comfortable, and certainly the quietest of all the hotels I've stayed in over the last few years.

The location is pretty good ... Is perhaps 5 - 8 minutes leisurely walk from the main market square.

I had read the reviews that stated a charge for tea service, so I packed a travel kettle ... job done! The lack of wifi is also a bit poor ... but pretty common in the EU ... no wifi meant doing something over than post photos to Facebook though ... not always a bad thing eh!

I loved the breakfasts here. A selection of meat and cheese, rolls, croissants and bread ... fruit juices, tea and coffee ... plus boiled eggs, yoghurts and pancake. A simple continental menu served buffet style but was another big plus point for me.

A freindly welcome ... a trouble-free check out ... 5 stars from me ... nothing to fault at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TEFLnick
Reviewed 4 May 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Ulrich S
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We chose this hotel because it has canal view rooms and price was reasonable - well you'd hope so for a 2* hotel - and only expected service level of a 2* hotel. And both our reasons were proven right.

All in all, I enjoyed our stay. We needed clean and reasonably priced hotel and we got that. With added bonus of nice canal view but only because we upgraded to canal view room when we booked.

Receptionist was friendly enough, but failed to explain to us about breakfast time. So it's on the poster on the wall too, but that's not the point - if she took time to explain it to couple who checked in ahead of us, I'd like her to make an effort for us too.

Also on checking out, she had to double check we had paid when we booked. I expected them to have list of people leaving each day with exact amount to be invoiced - which would mean doing simple task of going through those guest's bookings on the day. Surely not a taxing task!

We checked in around 11 am, we were told room would not be ready until 3 pm which is fine. What was NOT fine is that when we turned up at 4 pm, it still wasn't. They are not big rooms, if room cannot be cleaned in timely manner then perhaps they need more staff.

I think several reviews here have mentioned redecoration going on in the hotel - on our arrival we were warned about renovation going on in the corridor. Who knows how long they have been redecorating the place but from the look of it, it's a one-man operation so I guess it will take months! From the gloomy look on the guy's face, I would say it still has many months to do. He very kindly flashed his builders crack to us too.

Good things:
Location; 5 min walk to Burg which means 7 min walk to Markt. There is a corner shop selling water/food not too far, and if you don't want to go into centre for dinner, then there are at least 4 restaurant within 1 min walk or less. But be warned those restaurants aren't any cheaper than those in centre.

Upgrade to Canal view room when you book - else there really isn't much point of being at this hotel, unless you just wanted cheap place to stay. The view to the canal is lovely.

Good enough breakfast for 2* hotel, usual continental spread but plenty in quantity, nice fresh bread and coffee machine. I was happy with it.

5 euro on-off payment for Wifi, which is SLOW. But 5 euro for entire stay is cheap for wifi in comparison to other hotels. Obviously free would have been better.

Bad things:
Thin walls. VERY thin walls and thin floors. Not good if you have noisy neighbours.

Plumbing. The pipes in bathroom made gurgling noise every time someone else - maybe upstairs? - used their sink/toilet/shower. I was very afraid sewage was going to come spurting out of the sink.

Small bathroom. And I mean SMALL. That itself isn't the worst - the worst is the door. It is basically like those old Western saloon swing doors. Yup, with gap at the top, bottom and in between the doors. Which means everything you do in the bathroom can be heard and smelled by others in the room. I don't know about the rest of the world, but my husband and I are not in the habit of doing No. 2 if each other could hear/smell. So we both had to go use the toilet by the reception if we were to, ahem, do a No. 2.

if you are on the ground floor canal view room, the canal tour boat goes past it every 2, 3 min constantly during the day and they can definitely look into the room. So if you are going to take a shower after 8:30 am, close the curtains or be unwittingly naked photo-bomb some tourists' photos!

Also the utility room they use as luggage storage for guests who wants to leave their luggage before/after checking in has a lock on the door, but it appears they don't bother locking. So you have to use it at your own risk - which I think hotel is legally obliged to warn the guests, but they didn't. I'm not saying that the hotel suffers from theft often, and our bags were fine. BUT! it only takes one opportunist to just decide to take the cases. And I can guarantee receptionist won't stop anyone walking out with someone else's' bag - how would they know who's bag is who because they don't tag it (like other hotels might), and the fact receptionist isn't there all the time during the day wither.

Which brings me to the fact reception is NOT 24 hrs. Which is OK. We were given plenty of warning to let us know that we must have our room key with us to get back into the hotel after 9 pm, as reception closes and so does the front door of the hotel. So don't leave your key at reception, and don't leave it behind in your room either.

I don't think I will stay here again - mainly because I've now seen Bruge and I won't need so many nights if we come again, which means we can pay for bit more expensive hotel. And I would recommend this hotel to anyone, just as long as they are warned about the bathroom and manage their expectation.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Canal View rooms! Else there's no point staying at this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silkchild_77
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Bruges is lovely and the Canal View accommodation is in a very pleasant location. It took 45 minutes to walk there from the railway station and a taxi return cost E8.40. Our room 12 was nice but small with a canal view and the shower/toilet was as small as it could be and was elevated about 9” from the ground which may not suit anybody with mobility problems. Sound proofing could be better, you could hear traffic noise from a distant main road. Tea making facilities cost E5 per day ( honestly) and internet ( which is poor) a one off payment of E5. We were surprised to be asked to pay the city charge on leaving which was a was E7.5 for 3 nights for a couple but they would charge you to breath in Bruges if they could. On arrival use of the railway station toilet was 50c per person, even museums often charged for toilet use after paying the entrance fee. Nor is food and alcohol cheap. A no frills 3 course meal costs from E15 and a half litre of beer E6, that’s for 3% proof and the price goes up with the alcohol content! Expect to pay E20 or more for a bottle of wine with your meal. There is a bar near the youth hostel (go right) that charges E4 for a large beer but the place is pretty dreary. Uk sports are shown at another pub
( go slightly left and up ). If you intend to visit the museums and other attractions a City Card is the best option. E40 per person for 2 days may seem expensive but the attractions are overpriced and you can easily spend a lot more than E40 in 2 days. A canal trip is included with the City Card. It doesn’t last long and ours consisted of going forwards and backwards to the same spot.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple