“Ter Brughe - Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
hampshire
“Ter Brughe - Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Just got back from Bruges after a three day break for my birthday. Stayed at this hotel. What a super place - a little gem of a place. Close enough to be in the heart of things in the city, but far enough away to enjoy the peace and quiet.Everything about the hotel oozes olde worlde charm. The room we had on second floor was a good size and the bed was huge. Lovely soft, white towels in the bathroom and a lovely warm room (especially when you came in after a night out, the warm room was just heaven). Breakfast (included in the room rate) was the usual continental but there was plenty of it. If you are not good with stairs, then book a lower ground room. The steps are quite steep. All in all a great hotel and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Great restaurant Huzaar - massive meals.
1 Thank lozzaNorthernlass

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

The hotel is very well located to the center and it was easy to get to from the station. We had a room with canal view which was absolutly amazing. The room was big, nice and clean.
The only thing we did not like is a very expensive internet and the receptionist did not tell us that we cant use it in the room.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaTripzz
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Myself and my partner stayed for 4 nights during October. Particularly busy time for the hotel as there was a football match in the town (which was the big point of converstion throughtout the weekend). We walked to the hotel from the station as we couldn't get a taxi. As soon as we walked in the hotel we could really feel the heat in the lobby. We got room 1, which was a great room. It was on the -1 floor beside the breakfast room, the canal is right beside the river. Great room when you love to waking up looking out at ducks on the canal and about 10 feet from the breakfast room, besides that it would just be a basic room but all we wanted was a be and a shower.

As far as continental breakfasts goes this is really good. Not short of anything and all fresh including bread, crossants and dairy yogurt. The hotel is very well located because it is really close to the market square but in a really quiet and peacefull part of the city. Unlike other reviewers we both had really good sleep everynight.

Staff were helpful and could speak english fine. The bar/lounge was a really nice place to relax after a long day of walking and sightseeing infront of a nice glass of the local beer (brugge zot).

If there was any bad points I would say that the hotel is very basic, but that's all we paid for and expected. Don't know if I'd call it a 4 star, but good all the same

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sobri07
St Andrews
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Just spent 4 nights in Bruges and was recommended by my travel agent to go to Hotel Ter Bruges as it was "lovely"....................actually, it was quite basic and nothing special.
We paid for an upgrade to a De-Luxe Room.........what a joke! All it meant was a cheap hairdryer in the bathroom and a shower head attached to the taps! No walk-in shower which made it quite difficult as all you can do is stand in the bath and shower yourself down. My wife refuses to get into a bath she hasn't cleaned herself! The room was large with a super-king bed which was really comfortable and the room was clean as was the bathroom.
There was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room so I asked reception twice for 2 pots of tea which I carried to the room and was charged 10 euros for the pleasure!
Breakfast like most european hotels was a continental offering but again, very basic. Bread, cheese,a couple of cereals, bananas,apples and some cold meat which didn't look very appetising. My wife could only have a banana for breakfast because of the poor choice.
Considering the cost was 170 euros per night bed & breakfast we both felt this hotel could do better.

Room Tip: Ask for room 41 overlooking the canal
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

very romantic, very quite region though centrally located. nice staff, fair price.

Room Tip: room 22 has a nice view to the canal
Great Coates, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

We've just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel. First the good points -

The location is fantastic, right next to the canal, and only a 5 minute walk from the lovely Markt, you'd think it was further way though it was so quiet and peaceful.

The building itself is lovely and quaint, obviously very old and full of character. The reception was very nice as was the bar and breakfast room. Speaking of breakfast, it was lovely - there was plenty to choose from and it was all very fresh, the croissants and pain au chocolat were amongst the best I've ever had

The staff that we saw (mainly on reception and in the breakfast room were pleasant and polite

Our room was on the ground floor so no stairs to climb which was good! We had a basic room overlooking the canal (room 7) and it was very comfortable with a large bed, wardrobe, bedside table, desk, chairs and small tv. The bathroom was basic and a bit 'white' (a splash of colour would have brightened things up a bit!) but it was clean and it was lovely having a bath rather than just a shower so I could soak my tired legs and feet after a day's sightseeing. We didn't have an issue with the towels, they looked new and were reasonably soft and fluffy - not threadbare in the least as other reviewers have suggested, but maybe they've invested in new ones recently! I didn't use the shower attachment as a shower as such, I washed my hair in the bath so it wasn't an issue for me.

And now the not so good -

The main thing for us was our ceiling - which happened to be the room above's floor boards. It was a lovely wooden ceiling, obviously very old, but my goodness it creaked so loudly every time the occupants above walked about! Unfortunately they were up early in the morning (around 4:45am, probably for the loo) and it woke us both up the noise was so bad. Once we were awake we couldn't get back to sleep - just as we nodded off they were up and about again, so after 2 nights we were pretty tired.

We were there at the end of October so it wasn't thathot weather wise, having said that we slept with the windows open as the room was quite warm, as a result I ended up with a couple of nasty mozzy bites which surprised me, I didn't think it was the time of year for them....I don't think I'd like to stay there in the hotter months as there's no air conditioning, and I wouldn't want to have to sleep in the room with the windows closed if it was much hotter

All in all it's a lovely hotel, very picturesque and in an ideal location...but if I was to go again I think I'd pay for a deluxe room in the hope that it would be quieter.

Room Tip: I would definitely consider paying more for an upgrade - I think you'd get a better night's...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bev_Lewis_11
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in October. The hotel’s location is perfect. It is centrally located and many of the rooms have canal view. Our room opened up right on the canal. The hotel has a charming old feel to it as the building is very old and the common spaces have been nicely remodeled. The breakfast was nice. There was a fresh batch of croissants and a variety of fresh breads available daily along with meats, cheeses, and various cereals. The hotel is also close to major bus stops so if you need to take a bus from the train station get off at Jan Van Eyck square and walk 2-3 minutes to the hotel. I do think the rooms need upgrades. The caulking was peeling off in the bathroom. The tub did not have a shower curtain or a hook to hang the shower head up high so you are forced to hold the shower head in your hand as you attempt to wash. I found that very uncomfortable. Another thing that I did not like was that not only do you have to pay for the Wi-Fi but it was expensive. I think a Wi-Fi connection should be free or cost very little. The hotel charges 2euros for 30 minutes. The front desk staff, while helpful and knowledgeable, did not seem to be too excited about being there. I won’t say they were rude, because they weren’t, but I think they could make a bit more of an effort. Overall, it’s a decent hotel which is centrally located with a nice canal view. I would recommend the hotel invest in shower curtains and hooks for the shower head had to be hung above you so you are not struggling to wash and hold the shower head at the same time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends