1,217 results
All reviews no lift canal level lovely hotel old building listed building overlooking the canal breakfast room shower head hand held shower walls are paper thin the main square bread wooden beams small bar no air conditioning quiet location superior room
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights and whilst it was a really nice building, I was slightly disappointed by our room. We were in a standard room at the back of the building which was a bit dark with no view at all out of the window. The decor could have done with a bit of a spruce but the room was clean and the staff pleasant.

Breakfast was a strong point; standard continental fare but in a lovely room right by the canal. I'd imagine the superior rooms which overlooked the canal would be very nice so could be worth an upgrade. All in all, perfectly reasonable hotel but I'd possibly try elsewhere if I were to go back.

Room Tip: Don't necessarily expect a view with a standard room
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is a wonderful quaint hotel right on the canal, our view was exceptional. Surprisingly, and very welcome, it was quiet during the night. We didn't have any street noise though there were some creaks and groans as you might expect in a hotel of this age.

The room could be described as small and with no frills. However, the bed was comfortable and the linens were very soft. We had a small bathroom with a tub, no shower, which my husband didn't care for. I personally enjoyed a long soak after hiking stairs all day. There was a small tv that we didn't turn on and a minibar that we didn't investigate.

The service was exceptional, quite nice and accommodating throughout our stay. A small breakfast was served in the canal level dining room and it was fun to see the swans and ducks float by. The hotel is very conveniently located. You'll have to hoof it to the parking garage which is a 5 minute walk but since most people in Bruges are wheeling luggage behind them it seems to fit the ambiance. The walk to most of the major attractions is less than 10 minutes and there is numerous lunch and dinner restaurant options close by.

We would return to this hotel easily and hope to return to Bruges soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a canal room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geminijen77
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay in this charming hotel. I cannot do much more than endorse the good comments made by the other guests.

The hotel is situated on the canal within easy walking distance, despite the cobbles, of the city centre and its numerous bars and restaurants.

From the moment we arrived to the time we left we found the staff very welcoming and helpful.
We had a room on the first floor overlooking the courtyard which was a reasonable size, with a small TV, 2 easy chairs and a very large wardrobe. As has been mentioned before, the bathroom has a bath but no shower, just a hand held shower head. If I had one small criticism, there was a lack of drawer space but as we were only staying 3 nights this didn’t present too much of an issue.

The breakfasts were typically continental with an as much as you could eat buffet where you could fuel yourself up for the day. The setting of the breakfast room looking out onto the canal makes for a pleasant start to the day.

The hotel has a small bar, handy for a late evening drink should you want one and a pleasant terrace area, where if the weather had been more kind, you could enjoy a drink in the evening, or during the day if you so wished.

One word of warning, as I had never encountered this in Bruges before. We were supplied in our room with a mosquito plug and tablets. I’m not sure if this was because of our proximity to the canal as we stayed in a hotel close to the canal on a previous visit but this was something new. However, as my wife will testify after sitting by the bedroom window reading her book, mosquitoes are definitely a problem, so make sure you keep your repellent handy.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and would certainly return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eric51
Reviewed 7 June 2012

The Hotel Ter Brughe is situated a bit out of the main areas you would want to see, but it's literally a 4 minute stroll to get to the main market square (and you would already have passed plenty of restaurants to get there). It is in a very quiet area of Bruges. We walked from the train station to the hotel which took about 20 mins, but I would recommend taking a taxi as the streets in Bruges are all cobbled which makes for a very noisy walk with your wheeled luggage. We took a Taxi back which cost €10.

Reception and our welcome was excellent. Very polite and very helpful, happy to look after our luggage (we arrived early) and point us in the direction of some local food.

We stayed for a couple of nights, originally booked a standard room but were apparently upgraded. We ended up in a room in the basement over looking the canal (room 32).

On walking down to our room, those with a sensitive nose (e.g. me) would be able to smell a little bit of mustiness but actually inside the room it was perfectly fine and you could no longer smell it even though the floor of the room must be below the canal water line. The room was large and very clean, the television was small and old with no English channels on it, the beds have seen some action, it was a little dark with one small window. The bathroom was a good size with an excellent bath although no standing shower (Mrs Chunkylover said she wanted to come back just for the bath, apparently its dimensions and shape were perfect). It could get a little stuffy throughout (especially after a bath) as the extractor fan is past its best. The room was incredibly quiet, which is perfect (a little sound in the bathroom which must be through the ventilation system connections). Overall very pleased with the room, after all it's just a base for exploring but it was much better than average.

There's a little public area on the ground floor which has some seating and a small bar all priced reasonably for the area. Buffet breakfast in the morning was nothing special, but certainly enough choice to fuel you through to lunch.

Overall was very pleased with our choice in the Hotel Ter Brughe. If I were to return to Bruges on a mid ranged budget then I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chunkylover53__x
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I have just returned from a 3 night break at this hotel, it was a real find, very friendly staff, excellent breakfast with plenty of choice, the room was a good size with a bright clean modern bathroom and the hotel is in a superb location. My only criticism is the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in the room and it is for this reason only that I am not sure if I will stay here next time I visit Bruges and is the only reason I could not give the five stars it otherwise deserves

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family