“Great hotel in a great location!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bryghia Hotel

Bryghia Hotel
Ranked #39 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great hotel in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Great hotel and great time in Bruges. The hotel is in an excellent location, in a quiet and safe area of central bruges, close enough to walk everywhere but nice and quiet at night. Staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a large variety and nice atmosphere. Rooms were very clean and spacious and had a lovely 'feel' of the city opposed to other hotels with simple plain rooms. We were impressed with the prices for the mini bar- even cheaper for beer and soft drinks than out in the main centre! Would recommend this hotel to anyone, great value for money.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KAston642

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed at the Bryghia in June 2012 for a couple of nights. Hotel is fairly well placed in Bruges but Bruges has issues with traffic and parking so we ended up leaving the car at the railway station which is a good walk or bus ride away. The stay was pleasant, staff were ok rather than over-friendly. Breakfast was continental but plentiful. The room was a little small and basic but it did the job and we all slept very well.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Long Crendon, Bucks, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Very reasonably priced and comfortable hotel in a quiet, but central square in Bruges. Breakfast delicious and plentiful - rooms clean and tidy. Owner is quiet and rather reserved, but very polite and helpful. It was very quiet when we stayed - so not a hotel to drink in the bar at. A very good base to see a beautiful city.Some rooms have showers/half baths and others full baths- so worth being specific if you have a preference.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael A
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Five minutes walk from the Markt Platz in a quiet neighbourhood, Hotel Bryghia was a great find. The hotel is very pleasant. We had booked two rooms and whilst one of the bathrooms was nicer than the other (it had a full bath and a window), both were spotlessly clean. The decor is dated, but there's nothing wrong with that if its clean and well maintained which it is. The buffet breakfast was good with a selection of yoghurt, fruit, croissant, bread, cheese and cold meats and a wonderfully old-fashioned egg-cooker.

We were very pleased with our choice and found it very good value indeed and ideally situated.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Cannock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

We were a little worried after reading reviews on your site but found them to be untrue.The hotel was clean and in a fantastic location-quiet but not far from the markt platz.The hotel is in an old building and the decor perfectly fitted it. My husband and I would stay there again if we came back to Bruges!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Telford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

My partner and I stayed here in August 2010.

We were initially planning on staying for just one night but when we arrived into Bruges we fell in love and decided to stay for two, the hotel had the space and although we had to move rooms, we did not mind. My complaint is not to do with the rooms, we found these to be clean, quiet and comfortable, the problem was with the attitude of the staff...

On our first morning in the breakfast room (which had no atmosphere and was so quiet, we both felt like we could not have a relaxed conversation without disturbiing others in their silent breakfasts), my parnter dropped a piece of ham on the floor, she did not want to eat this and instead of leaving it on the floor she tried to pass it to a member of staff through the open kitchen door to put in the bin. The guy on shift gave her a look, did not say anything to her as if she should have just left it on the floor for others to slip on, which made her feel quite uncomfortable and embarassed.

In addition to this, on the second morning we wanted to take a couple of croissants with us for our lunch. I know some may think this is wrong but I dont see the harm in taking a pastry with us-what is the difference between eating it there in the breakfast room or in a couple of hours time somewhere else? People take breakfast rolls all the time in sure! The reason we were taking the pastries was because we wanted to eat them away from the breakfast room as the atomsphere felt similar to a morgue!

The woman on duty noticed that we had the two pastries on the table and we were not eating them, so must have guessed we wanted to take them with us. I then had to endure her standing next to the washing area staring at me intently, keeping an eye on her pastries (this went on for around 15 mins). When I awkwardly put one into my bag,the lady came storming out, walked up to me, leaned in and said 'this is a breakfast room, not a lunch making room'... I was so shocked I simply said 'ok' , she walked away back to her post and continued to watch us. Feeling like criminals we left the breakfast room.

What upset me the most was the was she spoke to me. As most of the guests were middle aged, I believe if I had been an 'adult' and not a silly 23 year old she would definately not have spoke to me like that. If I am paying the same money as 'adults' I expect the same treatment.

I want to stress that there was nothing wrong with the room, but from the moment we arrived there we did not see one smile, we feel there was a lack of hospitality about the place, which is a shame when you visit such a beautiful town. I wish I had had the courage to say something to her but at the time I was in a state of shock at being spoken to so rudely by someone who is meant to build their business around welcoming hospitailty. The only time we saw a smile was when we paid our bill at the end of our stay!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Wobulf
Dunoon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Having read the reviews, we decided to book this hotel for a six night stay during the last week in September. We are delighted we did. The hotel has a very old fashioned feel to it with some excellent touches. Guido and his wife provide very good service. The breakfast is typical with cheese, various hams and salami. there is also yoghurt and fruit. Try the rolls, they are delicious. Our room was very clean and had sufficient space for clothes. Previous people talked about noise and it can be as it is situated just off one of te main squares. I think every hotel would have that problem. We enjoyed staying there and would recommend it. Beware of Bruges - it is a very expensive city eg 33cl of beer is 3,80 euros! But it is a beautiful city with lots to see.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple