Bryghia Hotel
  • Pool
US$236
US$193
  • Room Service
Hotel Bourgoensch Hof(Bruges)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$74
US$69
US$321
Hotels.com
All reviewsquiet locationthe main squarebreadcroissantscontinental breakfastquaint hoteltea and coffee making facilitiesbeautiful citycold meatsminute walkfamily run hotelsmall roomthree nightsshort staynice breakfasttown centreham
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights as part of a longer tour of Flanders. We stayed during a heatwave, with daytime temps in the mid-30s and nights around 21 degrees; the plug in mosquito repellent was most useful. It's located just far enough from the centre of town to be quiet, but near enough that the 5 minute walk wasn't burdensome. Staff were friendly & warm if you took time for a chat. Breakfast was huge, with a good choice and refills of coffee were available on request. The building is full of character & the owners have packed it full of curiosities, making it homely and rather eccentric. They are rightfully proud of it- charming.

Room Tip: There is a lift to all floors- we stayed on the first, in room 27, & it was small, but perfectly sufficient for 2 adults
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Stayed for 4 nights in August 2012.

Check in
The most efficient check in I've ever had - a quick signature and we had the keys to the room. No fuss, friendly.

Room
Had been modernised and was of a very good standard with usual facilities - tea/coffee, hairdrier etc. My only criticism of the hotel is that the room stayed very hot at all times - even though the the temperature ranged from around 15-23 degrees outside. So we could have done with air conditioning. Minimal noise from outside room (although the bells will wake you up around 8 am - regardless of where you are staying)

Breakfast
Lots of choice, fresh e.g. boiled eggs, cereal, fresh breads, fruit, hams cheeses, yoghurt. Fresh orange juice. Good coffee. Attentive service. No complaints at all.

Staff
Friendly and helpful. I could see why some reviewers might see service as slightly cold - I think this is more a cultural thing. We were treated very well, we had help with a restaurant reservation and pre-booking of a taxi.

Overall great value in a fairly expensive city. Centrally located.

Would recommend and this would be my first choice when in Bruges again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank argerich1
Reviewed 12 August 2012

The room we had wasn't the best in the place I'm sure (326, small, outdated decor etc) but it was clean. More importantly though the couple running it are very welcoming and helpful; he went to the trouble of getting me a working adaptor to allow us to charge phone etc as the standard European one didn't work.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Searching for a romantic break with my wife we found this hotel was exactly like the city of Bruges....relaxing, stylish and oozing character.
A double room with canal view was requested and granted. To be so close to the centre of the city yet have such a wonderful, serene view was excellent. The location could not be beaten.
The owners are unintrusive but always available to help and obviously take a lot of pride in the hotel. The breakfast room is a great place to start the day. The food is fresh, replenished quickly and, for a continental breakfast, very tasty.
Whilst wandering around Bruges taking in the sights and seeking out decent pubs, not once did I see another hotel I preferred. Highly recommended.
As for Bruges itself, try to stay clear of pubs and restaurants in Markt and Burg squares as they can be expensive. For food try Cambrinus (Philipstockstraat 19 and book if later than 20:00). For beer you are spoilt for choice but definately try t' Brugs Beertje (Kemelstraat 5) and Don Quichotte (Elermarkt 14).

Room Tip: If going for a romantic break request canal view. It cost us 10 euros extra per night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I found Bryghia to be a decent enough hotel. It was quite quiet and clean. However, I went out of my way to book a double bed room (not a twin). Unfortunately, when we arrived at night, we found that they had booked us into a twin. When I spoke to the front desk the next day, I was informed that they did not have any information indicating that I had reserved a double bed. Yet, when I checked out, the reservation form they had clearly indicated that I had reserved a double. I found this to be quite frustrating. They earned some points back by offering to have us change rooms that next day, but it was too late as it would have been more difficult to re-pack our bags just to change rooms for one night. They but some padding over the two beds to try to make it feel like one bed, but sleeping on it was only a little better. This mistake was enough to keep me from returning again in the future.

On a separate note, their breakfast room was deadly quiet even with many people in it. A strange and uncomfortable environment that made conversation awkward.

Furthermore, I was frustrated that the angle of the TV on the wall made it impossible to see while lying in bed, and you were unable to change the angle - basically making the TV useless.

This place was also the most expensive place we stayed on our trip, but this may simply be a reflection on Bruges being an expensive city.

Overall, decent, but frustrating and not worth the money.

Room Tip: You might not get the room you reserved.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple