Floris Karos Hotel
Lace Hotel(Bruges)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
1,235 results
All reviewsswimming poolplay area for childrensmall gymminute walkscrambled eggs and baconfree upgradecommunal areastea and coffee facilitiesmain roadcold meatscroissantsfamily roombreakfast stafflovely hotelcontinental breakfastnice sizetown centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We had a great deal that gave us three nights in the Floris plus travel there via Eurostar for just 360 euros for two. For that price you shouldn't be too critical so we were pleased by the wonderfully quiet location, which was convenient for town centre and railway station alike, helpful and friendly staff, and clean, spacious room. The hotel pool is a real bonus and there was a bar and comfortable lobby. The main weakness is the breakfast system for which they use outside caterers, who let them down in staffing terms on two of our three nights. The second in particular was chaotic with just one poor lad having to cope with what seemed to be around 100 guests all arriving at 9.00! That said, the breakfast itself was fine, including two cooked dishes. We enjoyed our stay - the Floris has a lot going for it.

2  Thank NJH1952
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Why we chose the hotel:
This was a happy accident. We had left it rather late in the day to book our accommodation and the Floris Karos Hotel was the only one who could accommodate the four of us – ie, me, my husband and our two children (16 & 9). Have to say we were nervous given the reviews on Trip advisor, but we had very little choice given our timeframe and budget.
The Cost:
It cost €768.50 for 5 nights, including breakfast and some drinks that were added to our tab – more about that later... We arrived on a Friday, checked out on a Wednesday. You can book in from 1500hrs, check out at 11am.
The Location:
The hotel is a 15min walk from the train station, and a 5min walk to ‘t Zand, but you have to cross a busy dual carriageway to get to the ‘t Zand. There is a zebra crossing, but pedestrian right of way isn’t always respected by Belgian motorists. Everywhere in Bruges is within walking distance from the hotel.
First impression:
We arrived at 1800hrs and I was immediately struck by how different the decor is in comparison to other images posted on Trip advisor – the place has obviously been extensively refurbished. There is a reception area which includes a small bar, and a wifi area – there is a computer and printer available free of charge. Central to reception is a contemporary fireplace with seating areas to either side of it. The design seems to be a fusion between contemporary and traditional – chunky old tables surrounded by modern seating. As you walk through the hotel there are facilities for children – a TV and Xbox and a good selection of games. There are lots of soft beanbags and a seating area nearby where the adults can sit while the children play. There is also a small pool – this closes at 2000hrs. Near the pool there is a small room containing gym equipment - there is one treadmill, boxing equipment, a Swiss ball, weights and a yoga mat. There is also a lift.
The receptionist was very friendly and gave a map of Bruges. She marked where the hotel was located on it and drew directions on how to get to the Burg – we found this very helpful. We had to provide passport and credit card details.
The carpet on the first floor was poorly fitted – had to be cautious not to trip on it. We did however notice a carpet fitter repairing the carpet on a different floor – maybe this is soon to be dealt with.
Our Room:
The room contained a king sized bed and two singles. There was a small balcony as well – it just had room for two chairs and a small table, but still, it was nice to be able to sit outside our room. There was a small sofa and two chairs and a coffee table. There was also a wall mounted LCD TV, a desk, and built in wardrobe. The room had an ensuite, but the shower was in the bath. There was a ceiling fan too, but sadly, it didn’t work. We didn’t report it, so can’t comment on maintenance service. Complementary toiletries were provided on arrival. No tea/coffee making facilities (the first I have ever encountered this), no mini-bar. The room was clean, although I noticed mould around the window, and rust in the bath had been re-enamelled. There was also an odd light fitting that was reminiscent of Princess Bea’s atrocious hat at the Royal Wedding – but this provided hilarious photo opportunities!
The Service:
We stayed 5 nights and the sheets were never changed. The towels were changed every day, but the toiletries weren’t replenished. Breakfast was a continental buffet – cereals, croissants, pain de chocolat, toast, scrambled egg, bacon (although not as we know it – sort of shredded), coffee, fruit juices and yogurt was provided. The coffee was provided via a coffee machine. We found the breakfast staff to be extremely attentive despite being busy. The hotel is bed and breakfast only, so you have to eat out all the time – this proved to be extremely expensive in Bruges.
The Staff:
Most were friendly and polite and spoke English. We only encountered one staff member who was rather brusque and sharp. We had misplaced our little map, and when we asked for another, she told us to buy one at the tourist office. She always seemed to be in bad form when on duty. There only ever seems to be one receptionist on duty at any given time. They are also expected to run the bar, and sometimes they seemed swamped by the workload – waiting times at the bar were long. We only availed of the facility once.
The Bar:
As is the case with most hotels, the drinks are overpriced. During our stay we had four drinks – 3 beers and one glass of wine. The wine cost €5 per glass, and the beer (Jupiler) was €2.50 for a small glass. We later found a supermarket nearby (Carrefour) that sold Jupiler for 49cents a bottle.
The Pool:
Small, but the kids loved it. It was a nice way to round off the day. However, it seems crowded if there are more than six people in it. Still, it was nice to have the pool. There’s also showers at the poolside so can shower before you get in. Pool room was always lovely and warm – water cold though.
Most favourite thing:
The pool was an added bonus. The children’s facilities were great. And the price – good value and cheaper than any of the other 3 star hotels in Bruges, although none of them could accommodate us at the time.
Least favourite thing:
No tea/coffee making facilities in the room.
Would we recommend it?
Most definitely!
A final note: Have taken tons of recent pics – check ‘em out! Had to do submit some of them separately from this review though (would only let me upload ten.)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank married-mummy
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I have been trying to book a room here for two days, and as yet no body has dealt with my query.
I purchased a coupon via an offers site, which is valid subject to availability. I was told to call and quote the voucher number to check availability.
When I called I was told they could not deal with my enquiry via the telephone and I had to email my reservation request. Which I did, two days ago.
After the first day I telephoned to ensure they had received my email, and was told they had and that it would be dealt with and responded to the next morning.
It wasn't, I have still heard nothing about room availability for my chosen dates.
I just tried to call again, and the phone rang until it was cut off.
I'm really not happy. The affordable seats on the Eurostar for the dates I requested have almost all gone. If the hotel leaves this much longer then it will not be possible to travel at this time.
This was supposed to be a romantic anniversary trip for my boyfriend and I - and all it is doing is giving me a headache.
On top of this, the member of staff I spoke to was very dismissive when it became apparent I was booking via a voucher offer, and I was made to feel like a second class citizen.
I would be very interested in what the hotel manager has to say to this.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NatalieC3
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I recently stayed for 3 nights at the Karos / Floris Hotel in Bruges. It's a nice budget hotel. We had a large twin room with en-suite bathroom. Staff was nice and friendly and there is a lot of extras like a small swimming pool that I could imagine would be perfect for kids and gym people.

One negative thing was the breakfast, not the best products and the breakfast room was far too small for the amount of guest resulting in an extremely noisy atmosphere. After 3 days we figured it out, but far too late; go and get your breakfast and find a table outside the breakfast area.

2  Thank HeatonN