“Great hotel”

Halifax, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Great hotel !
Newly refurbished, very modern, and stylish.

The receptionist let us check in early, as we had arrived by ferry at around 9.00 am.

Very helpful staff, lovely decor, very stylish and comfortable rooms.

Would definitely stay there again, and would highly recommend to friends

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diane S
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
Dear Diana,

first of all thank you for your warm comments! It truly was our pleasure hosting you and we can't wait to welcome you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Before I start my review, I have to preface it by saying that the hotel was not expensive and inevitably you do get what you pay for. Like many guests, I imagine, we arrived on the Bruges connection from the Brussels Eurostar. We reached the hotel just after two o'clock. The receptionist said that we could not book in until 3. I was not too worried, so we had a drink in the lobby and with a number of others waited for the allotted time. Almost exactly at three, as a large queue formed, the lady receptionist choice this exact moment to log-off to be replaced by a very tall man – he did not have a name badge that I could see – probably to avoid recognition – so I shall simply call him Basil. Basil was then faced with booking in everyone on his own. This seemed a bit odd to me - a half hour overlap would have helped considerably in reducing the queue. A party of 8 in front of me booked in successfully, followed by a young couple. They did not have everything Basil required to hand, e.g. credit card, and so it took them a few minutes to complete the check-in requirements, during which Basil - raised his eyebrows constantly to others in the queue. My time arrived, but I was told that our room was still not ready - I said the lady told us it would be three - he replied very curtly, ‘’ ... 'from' three... 'from' three' - we were full last night - you can't expect us to have all the rooms ready can you?’’ Well actually, I can - the fact that the rooms are not ready at three in the afternoon is an organisational and staffing issue, not an over-expectation by the guest (indeed, I only ever saw one room maid on duty on the ground floor, so I imagine the hotel is understaffed). Ironically, there was a flat screen TV on the wall behind the reception, which said in large letters - Check-in 3 'o' clock. I asked when the room might be ready and Basil just shrugged. I said I would sit down again then and come back later. He did not apologise and say, ’I will call you when your room is ready’ as I expected, so I resumed my seat along with many others, whom I assume were in a similar position. The queue remained long and the process slow. I re-joined forty minutes later, thinking our room might be cleared by then. Just before I reached the desk, a French couple clearly asked Basil if their room was ready, which precipitated an argument. I have never heard a ‘receptionist’ actually shout at guests before, but Basil 'lost it' and was literally screaming at them in front of a large queue and a full lobby - I think he was saying, “ ... 'from three'... 'from three'… “. I do not know what the hotel training is like, but Basil is a liability for the hotel and I am surprised he still has a job – he was rude, surly, unhelpful and, perhaps his worst trait, arrogant – he genuinely believed he was in the right as he said to the next couple. It might not have been his fault that rooms were not ready, and no doubt he was under pressure, but his behaviour in a customer service industry was unforgivable - he was an embarrassment.

We finally checked in about 4.15, just as it was getting dark as the weather was poor. The room was average – certainly not bad, but basic. I would say the room was not particularly clean, but adequate. It was a quiet location at the back and the beds were not uncomfortable. The TV was fine, but the choice of channels was slightly strange – but perhaps reflecting the hotel demographic – there were two children’s channels in English, but no news channel at all – no CNN nor BBC World. The free wi-fi worked well. There were certainly plenty of activities for children including the pool and, I believe, a Wii.
Breakfast was again very average. If you wanted anything even remotely healthy, that was impossible. The cereals were cornflakes or some chocolate concoction – no muesli , fruit or nuts (there were Apples and just a natural yoghurt – no other flavours). It was continental with plenty of bread-based fare. The coffee was awful – I went out and bought a jar of something better. The design of the breakfast room was odd. It was a relatively small packed room with the serving area in the far right corner with a pillar in the middle of the room and tables close by, so everyone funnelled through a small space. If the hotel moved the serving area to the left of the room, it would solve many of the problems. The room was packed so it appears that occupancy was quite good, despite Basil.

So to sum up – the hotel facilities were reflective of a three start hotel. It was well positioned for the centree of Bruges. If the staff had been better, one might forgive some of the rough edges and even the mediocre breakfast. For me, Basil was the deciding factor – I will never frequent this hotel again. If Basil remains, perhaps you should not either.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tripleaUK
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
Dear,

first of all thank you for your detailed writing and for bringing to my attention some of your findings. It's fair to say that Basil wouldn't be Basil without Sybil so let me try to bridge the pieces by apologizing for the rather rude encounter you had with one of our team members.
Being quit sure that I have the former team member who you are referring to in mind, I'm pleased to say that he was only on a try-out base with us and is no longer working for our company.

Once again my sincerest apologies. Please contact me directly when booking your next stay in Bruges as it will be my personal duty making your stay as memorable as possible.
Warm regards

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Manchester England
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We are more used to staying in hostels and apartments so not really a lot compare with. To me this felt like a friendly functional family hotel. Rooms were a little warm at first but these were adjusted when we asked at reception.

There was plenty of open space, breakfast was fine and the pool though small was perfectly adequate - very clean.

The staff were all very helpful and spoke excellent English. We given good advice on restaurants, walks and activities.

Coffee at the hotel was excellent but unfortunately no hot chocolate.

There was free wi-fi but we didn't have a device with us so we used a the free terminal in the lounge.

As a previous reviewer commented this is a very family friendly hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Dear David,

first of all thank you for staying with us! It was our pleasure hosting you.
I'm pleased to read your first 'hotel-experience' was a good one for both you and your family and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again one day.

Warm regards
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 October 2012

We spent 3 nights here and I thought it was just OK. The lobby is really nice but the rooms were average. We had to run the water for 10 minutes to get hot water in the shower. The tub/shower could use a little upgrading. The breakfast had kids running around everywhere which I guess is ok for families but pretty noisy otherwise. The bed was hard and the pillows horrible.I felt the staff were pretty much unfriendly and didn't go out of their way to make us feel welcome. I would't stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Grant & Wendy,

Thanks for staying with us and sharing your experiences within our walls.
Children's laughter always makes me happy and I'm truly sorry you experienced this to be disturbing. I honestly hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again one day and to prove to you that we always do our best to make all our guests feel equally welcome.

Warm regards.
Oxford
Reviewed 24 October 2012

This hotel didn't really have anything to offer. It was neither near the station, or in the middle of the old city.

It was cheap and the rooms were clean, but there was no character to the hotel and it was all a bit boring.

There is really nothing much else to say! I would rather pay a few quid more and get a charming room in the middle of town than stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank JamesypOxford
Dear James,

thank you for sharing your experiences within our walls. Needless to say it leaves me with a bad feeling as I truly don't understand why exactly you find our hotel to be "a bit dull". Our hotel is within walking distance of the city center (just a 3minute walk away!) and offers a trendy lounge with bar, open fire place for those cold evenings, iMac with FREE internet connection, FREE Wi-Fi, an entertainment corner with Xbox , games, DVDs and much more....a small fitness and heated indoor swimming pool! In other words: good value for money.

Best regards.
Reviewed 15 October 2012

great stay lovely clean rooms great facilities,,
could of done with tea and coffee facilities in the room that did not spoil the stay, staff really friendly the reception area fantastic nice chill out area would definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank rickygee146
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Karos Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor this nice feedback about your recent stay at Floris Karos, Bruges. We were truly delighted to read how much you enjoyed the services of our staff, as well as the location of the hotel.

Hoping to welcome you once again, very soon!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Nice location and friendly chilled hotel. Very good value for money and would stay again on a return to Bruges. Small pool but warm and big enough for a swim and relax after a day touring the local sites. Could do with tea and coffee facilities in all rooms but not the end of the world.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Lisa,

Thank you for having posted your comments on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to read you would stay again on return to Bruges! Don’t hesitate to contact me directly when doing so, it will be my personal pleasure ensuring you have a memorable stay once again. We indeed don’t offer tea and coffee facilities, most European hotels actually don’t but we do have a trendy lounge bar where guests can enjoy a drink!

Best regards