“Location location location”
Review of Academie Hotel

Academie Hotel
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 16 March 2011

This Hotel is not 4 star as it states. The rooms are a little dull as is the reception area and no Restuarant in the evening. My wife sneezed in room 169 and a gentleman in 171 was heard saying bless you ( she was loud). However it is clean and the staff are efficient. It is well positioned in town away from the main road. The Hotel is right in not investing in an evening restuarant as turn left out of the Hotel and within 50 metres are a choice of 4 good ones. Do try Maximiliaan van Uostenriik, a brilliant meal but with the £/Euro it was on the pricey side,112 euros for two courses, bot wine and coffee liquers. Bruges is amazing and I would recommend this Hotel, they just need to be honest as to what rating they are

Reviewed 15 March 2011

Hotel is very well located close to the main city attractions.
In very well conditions and with a very helpful staff. Also rooms and bathroom were new and very clean.
What I'd mention is that the hotel looks more like a 3 stars superior class than a 4 stars. There are a few small details like plastic glasses in the bathroom, switches with a hand written mark sayin "on" and "off"... Nothing mayor but things you´d not expect in a 4 starts hotel.
Other than that, it´s a great place to stay.

Reviewed 11 March 2011

More than happy with the hotel. Right in the centre of town, but in a side street so not noisy. Clean bedrooms - perfectly fine. Staff pleasant. Very decadently decorated bar area with lots of velvet red and black seating - quite novel!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank moxxy-girl
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Just returned from 2 nights in Bruges. Hotel Academie was a perfect place to stay, clean, quiet, friendly staff, had fairly spacious room on 3rd floor with views over the Bruges rooftops, perfectly adequate for a couple of nights and nice touches like personal safe and fridge in the room. Only a few minutes walk from the train station. Would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank AJP61
Reviewed 6 March 2011

Travelled to the hotel with Riviera Travel - check in was rapid and the room was modern - good size with an almost new bathroom. Staff were very helpful and housekeeping very efficient. Nice bar with reasonable prices. Location of hotel excellent with several good restaurants within 100 metres. Only grumble - whitener not milk which is not great in tea! Good breakfast without time pressures.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Firstly I will start with the good points! Excellent location about a 10 minute walk from the stunningly beautiful market square. The hotel is also very near some excellent restaurants and tea rooms. The breakfast was quite good.

The Bad Points

On arrival the lobby entrance announced 4 star! That in my humble opinion is where it stopped. Check in was very smooth and the receptionist showed us a map and gave us a discount card for local attractions etc. We were given a room on the 2nd floor (room 122) and was very disappointed. The whole persona of the hotel was tired and quite grubby and unclean.

The room itself could best be described as an attic room with sloping roof, and again this was very tired looking although it did have a flat screen TV. We were very surprised though to see the main light switch had on and off written above it on the wallpaper in biro?? Facilities in the room included tea and coffee making facilities however we were left with two plastic vending machine cups to drink out of. 4 star I think not! The bathroom again was so dated with a mid blue coloured bathroom suite. I read on some reviews that each of the rooms had showers. Our room did have a shower which would have been fine for a 2 year old child standing up in the bath but it was completely inadequate for an adult due to the sloping roof. Coupled with the fact that the sealant was hanging off the bath and the plug in heater was rusty it was basically a disgrace. In fact if you stayed still in the bath too long the automatic light would go off and you would have to wave your hands around to get it to turn on.

The bed was comfortable and in fairness the room was clean although it was just so dated!

As I have said in my title the Acadamie Hotel is an insult to any reasonable 4 star hotel in my opinion and I would hazard a guess that if it was to be inspected again then it would lose its status and be given 3 stars max! The photos say it all!

Very very disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Have just returned from a weekend break in Bruges, what a wonderful city with amazing art and stunning architecture. This was our fifth trip and it never ceases to please, however, that's the city...our hotel on the otherhand was anything but pleasing. We arrived on Friday afternoon and after checking in we were directed to our rooms( travelled with my husband and brother in law). First impression of the foyer was unclean and dusty with leaves strewn around the floor...they remained there for the duration of our 3 night stay. On entering the room my brother in law found a dirty sock on the floor...yet the room had been cleaned?? Then in our room there was a half bottle of champagne corked with a tissue in the fridge...once again a prepared room...We voiced our concerns to the receptionist whose reply was, "OK". No one came to retrieve the belongings so we left them sitting outside the room where they remained until the next day. I was very disappointed that these issues were not immediately addressed, however, I did think that the receptionist would raise our concerns with the manager...not so...On the day of check out I asked to speak with the manager but the receptionist (different girl) felt that she was best placed to deal with our compaint. After explaining our plight regarding other people's belongings in our rooms I was informed that we had got the rooms at a good price and that other people had paid more for the same rooms...thus inferring that had we paid more that our rooms would have been cleaned more thoroughly... she reminded me that the Academie is a 4* and of a very high standard and that if I were to have a look around some of the other hotels in the city I would understand the rating better. Having stayed in four other hotels in this city from 3 to 4* as well as a number of fhotels across Europe I believe my judgement to be fair and unbiased and as a paying guest the very least I would expect from any hotel let alone a 4* is cleanliness and a sympathetic and understanding staff when the standard is not reflected in the rating....on this occasion the Academie Hotel have disappointingly failed.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple