2,499 results
All reviewsriviera travellight switchesgood sizetrain stationlovely hotelcobbled streetminnewater parktea and coffeereception staffminute walkperfect locationshort breakhot and cold foodstar hotelwithin easy walking distancebuffet breakfasttriple room
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Stayed at the Academie Hotel for one night and thank god not for longer. Hotel seemed upon arrival worthy of a four-star standard: staff friendly, entrance neat and tidy, great first impression. Unfortunately, it went all downhill from there: on the way to our room, there were plastic flower bouquets - not classy enough for a four-star hotel and very tacky. Costs saved at the wrong end. The room itself was pretty boring and the interior as well as furniture massively outdated. Random brown spots on the wall and bedside tables, the carpet was full of lint and definitely not hoovered. Dark hair on bed and on the sheets and in the bathroom. At least wifi was working fine.

The doors do not have silent stoppers so door slamming is a big thing in this hotel. No signs to remind guests to be considerate towards others so constant loud chatter in the hallway and door slamming. I had a 6h train journey after me when I arrived so called it an early night at around 10:30 pm but couldn't fall asleep because of the inconsiderate guests in the lift and hallway. Carpet outside was thin and didn't swallow any noise which echoed even more and emphasised the noise. No soundproofing.

The highlight of the night then at midnight: next door neighbour arrives, switches on TV and sings for full ten minutes. Walls are as thin as baking paper so you hear everything- every word, breath and well other activities. This was followed by a 40-minute sex session when I had enough. Walked to reception to be greeted by a member of staff without a name badge. She spoke broken English and didn't understand my concerns. She had to get another member of staff who instructed her to call the room and tell them to be quiet. He advised her to "make it sound bigger" and "lots of guests have complaint". The receptionist was very embarrassed and hesitant to call but did, in the end, telling the troublemakers "the people next door want to sleep". This was uncomfortable as I was having to potentially deal with a fuming neighbour upon my return to the room but luckily the scenario didn't happen. Instead, I enjoyed their loud snoring all night long (worse than a humpback whale). Found the behaviour from reception very odd and I left reception telling them that I'm very unhappy and not enjoying my stay at all. This is a four-star hotel and not a brothel. Was expecting some sort of apology or anything to redeem the stay but no statement or reactions came from the hotel the next morning.

Night came to an end at 7am when the cleaning team slammed doors in the hallway. Management didn't apologise or addressed issues from the night again. Staff friendly but disengaged and "couldn't be bothered" attitude during check out. Won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carolin S
Inge_De_Ketelaere, Front Office Manager at Academie Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2018

Dear Carolin,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your stay with us. As I can imagine, this was not a nice experience during your stay. Unfortunately, we didn’t receive a message from you that the room wasn’t clean. However, we apologise for this matter. We will take a deeper look at our system of the cleaning, so we can avoid these kind of matters for the next guests! About the walls: we know that these are tiny. We are looking now for sound-proofing measures, which we will apply at the end of the year.

My colleague of the night is not working for a long time here and this was the first time she experienced these kind of situation. She didn’t know exactly what we do and was nervous to make the phone call. During that phone call she said indeed that the neighbors were complaining. This is not how it should be. We will give these information to all the staff during day and night. When you came to the reception to say this problem, we also asked friendly “if they don’t stop, please call us”. During the night we didn’t received any phone calls.

However, we feel very sorry about the inconveniences. We will take your feedback and we will do something about it. Therefore we would like to say thank you!

Kindest Regards,

Team Academie!

Reviewed 8 January 2018

I absolutely loved this hotel. It was very cold and very late when I arrived and my reservation somehow had not gone through. The woman at the front desk was patient and friendly as I frantically searched my email looking for a confirmation, only to discover I didn't have one. Luckily they still had some rooms left, so she quickly wrung me up and I was on my way to my room.

The room was a scrumptiously warm haven and all I wanted to do was fall into the fluffy king bed, but I resisted because I still had eat, and let's be honest, hunger trumps sleepiness.

I was very impressed with the modernity of the room. It had a button-controlled light system installed by the door, the desk, and the bed, with options for dim lighting, table lighting, or full lighting. It was also equipped with two outlets and USB ports, one by the desk and one by the bed.

The bathroom was large and accessible - support beams surrounding the WC and a big shower with two wide doors. Not sure if they're all like that, but I was digging the big shower!

It was also extremely quiet. Needless to say, I slept wonderfully and wished I could have stayed another night!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We booked a 3 night break to see the Christmas Market with friends. The hotel is well situated and very comfortable with lovely decor and fantastic Breakfast available. We were spoilt for choice with everything you would expect to find at a more expensive Hotel. The pink Fizz was a bonus Lovely spacious rooms with a great bathroom and nice toiletries included...the only slight niggle was the noise from the room above at night...but we think it may have been a family room which you have to accept. There is a really lovely Coffee House right opposite the Hotel which is worth a visit. Would return for certain.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2018

The Academie is perfectly located for all of Bruges's attractions, and my wife and I have stayed here several times. Comfortable, quiet and friendly, the room (standard double) was ideal, and the breakfast buffet excellent.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daunrussell
Reviewed 3 January 2018

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of December. Our room was 333, spacious and clean .
The hotel is a good location, beside the love lake . Close to the brewery for a visit.
10 minutes walk to the main square.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple