“Pleasant stay”

Ranked #10 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed for 2 nights and chose Adornes because of the free parking and good reviews. We were not disappointed - the hotel was cosy, bed was comfy and location was great (7 minute walk to the Market square, passing a decent chocolate and beer shop on route!). The reception staff were happy to help with recommendations. The only downside is that the bathroom was small with a bath and showerhead, rather than a walk in shower, with precarious beams hanging over. My boyfriend managed to get a splinter wedged in his fingernail reaching for a towel - very painful! Thankfully hotel staff were able to arrange a doctors appointment for a few hours later, at his practice 2 streets away. The hotel were helpful but it wasn't an ideal situation to be in, so watch out for low hanging beams as it is an old building! I wouldn't say that the hotel is cheap - but then we found Bruges to be an expensive city (and we live in London!) - it wasn't uncommon to see main dishes for around 20-25 euros in the most simple of restaurants - but bikes are free to use and we made use of these to see the city, and obviously free parking and breakfast included are good bonuses.

Overall we loved our stay in Bruges and would recommend the Hotel Adornes for a cosy base in a charming city.

Room Tip: Room 16 had a lovely view but watch out for beams in the tiny bathroom!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
21 Thank lottie_west

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 May 2012

We stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed every minute. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The breakfast room was warm and welcoming, with a lovely fire in the large fireplace. The staff and owners were friendly and very helpful. No matter what we needed help with they took time to discuss options. Make sure to ask for a room that faces the canal. We were in a room on the side street and could see the canal by leaning our our window just a little bit. It is a lovely site to see first thing in the morning.

It is a short walk to the wonderful Medieval center of Brugge and all of its excellent sites. A variety of restaurants are a short walk away.

We want to go back to Brugge again and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the front - these overlook the canals.
22 Thank MethosAdventures
Minnesota
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I am writing this review from room number 6 at the Adornes. I am having a hard time leaving the room because it is so nice and cozy! I have a most lovely canal-side view. I cannot speak to the views out of the other rooms, but I find that often, as a solo traveler, hotel staff like to stick me in the back. I think they figure I am of less social value since I am traveling alone (they do not know of my power on the internet). However, at the Adornes, I was given the most lovely canal-side room! The other advantage of room number 6 is its position directly above the lobby. For those people to whom wifi is indispensable, Adornes is not fully outfitted, with wifi only available in the lobby--unless you are lucky enough to have a room, as I do, directly above the lobby!

It is true that my room is "small," however, although I am an american, I tend to like smaller, cozier hotel rooms, so this is actually a plus in my book. As I said, I am canal-side, with a view out on the street, which may have presented a privacy issue if the staff had not thought of providing privacy-giving half-curtains. It really is a great touch. Plus, they are very charming.

In addition, there are copious electrical outlets. Since I have various devices, this is always nice--in many hotels I have to unplug lamps and/or tvs to get the juice I need.

FREE breakfast, FREE bike rental! I am going to bike to Damme today, if i can get myself out of bed (i might not succeed in this, as my room, as I have said, is CANAL-SIDE and all the horse carriages seem to pass here, and I love the sound of their hooves...)

The bathroom has a tub with a spray dealie, not a full shower, which may be the only thing that might annoy some travelers. Also, it is a little jaunt to the main city center through a very picturesque setting.

I should also mention that I can open the windows fully, which is often something one cannot do in hotels. I love it!

Room Tip: Canal-side above the lobby, for internet access!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
24 Thank Erica D
California
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We chose Hotel Adornes for its location in the quiet and picturesque St. Anne district of Brugge where an easy ten to fifteen minute walk along the canals gets you to the historic city center, lots of restaurants, and nearly all the other sights you come to Brugge for. The hotel is a fusion of skillfully refurbished older adjoining buildings seamlessly woven together into a very clean, bright, and well maintained property. For the maximum Brugge experience request a canal-side room. Ours was room 17, a large top floor room with a high ceiling, open beams, and an unobstructed view of the canal and the charming neighborhood buildings. It is convenient to the elevator, yet extremely quiet. The bathroom is spacious but doesn't have a separate shower; instead, it's a very European arrangement with tub/hand-held shower.
A buffet-style breakfast is available in a large ground floor room made cozy by a massive fireplace and regional décor. Expect a good selection of cereals, breads and pastries, meats and cheeses, boiled eggs, yogurt, fruits and jams, but no cooked-to-order items. The coffee is excellent.
We interacted mostly with two staff members - Rik and Kim, and both were super friendly, accommodating, and extremely helpful. Between them, they helped make our first stay in Brugge a memorable experience. Be sure to ask Rik for restaurant suggestions. Within 24 hours of departure we had received an e-mail from Rik thanking us for our stay and wishing us happy further travels – that's classy.
Bicycles are available at no extra charge. Wi-fi is free - reception was spotty in our room but perfect in the public lounge and reception area. If you arrive in Brugge by train expect a taxi to the hotel to cost around 7 Euros.

Room Tip: For the maximum Brugge experience request a canal-side room. Ours was room 17, a large top floor roo...
23 Thank 2SLOTRAVELER
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We cannot come up with anything to add to the glowing reviews from others. Believe the good reports. We traveled as two couples and stayed two nights in rooms 15 and 17, overlooking the canal - a great stay in a wonderful city.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
24 Thank McTravelz
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed 2 nights in April. This place far exceeded our expectations The staff here really make this a comfortable spot to stay. The setting is on an intersection of 2 canals and one of the most beautiful areas of Bruges. It is only a 3 minute walk to the main square and near lots of restaurants. Rooms are comfortable and breakfast is world class, where you can dine beside a wood fireplace.
This would be my number one recommendation for Bruges. It is also written up in Rick Steve's travel book where he also endorses it as one of the best. We agreed with him.

21 Thank jekyllpug
BruggeBruges, Manager at Adornes, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Hello from bruges ! What a lovely comment you wrote , thanks a lot .
So I thank you in name of my whole team ! hope to see you again in Brugge one day.... and Arthus says hi to the cute doggie on your profile ;-) Nathalie
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed here over Easter and loved the hotel and location. Staff go out of their way to be helpful, the breakfast buffet is plentiful and varied, free underground parking is a real bonus in a city where parking is almost non-existing. Each evening they put up notices of events and markets in town the next day so you know where to go. We had restaurants recommended to us which were excellent. (we went to the Peter Pourbus Restaurant for dinner - make reservations!; and also the neaby Vlissinghe Pub round the corner for a bottle of wine and a snack one evening - both are lovely character places)

When we arrived we were a little horrified at how small our "small double" room was, but by the time we left 3 days later, it was a small price to pay for the location, friendlienss and extras of this place. Our room had queensize bed up against one wall and a small side table that you could easily walk into if you got up in the night (so we moved it!), ensuite bathroom with shower (the only room in the hotel with a shower - which was what we requested) and lovely views from the window of the canal outside.

The bed was comfortable, location quiet and it's a pleasant 7 min walk to the main market square. We walked everywhere and had a wonderful time. This city certainly exceeded my expectations in terms of things to do, and how lovely the city was.

The only reason I have not given an excellent was because the bedroom was so small and I had to climb into bed as it was up against the wall.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the larger rooms if you can - I wish I had....
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family