“Great hotel, even better people running it”
Review of Adornes

Adornes
Ranked #11 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Chicago, Illinois
“Great hotel, even better people running it”
Reviewed 8 March 2009

My wife and I chose the Adornes based on other reviews and we weren't sorry. It's a fantastic little 20-room inn on the north side of the city, an easy 5-10 minute walk from the center of town. The staff at the Adornes were extremely helpful, spoke English (which was excellent, because my Dutch could barely get us a cup of coffee), gave us coupons for different events in town and offered excellent recommendations for food.

The room was cozy. We stayed on the top floor facing a side street and had a beautiful view. The bed was more comfortable than your average european hotel. Breakfast was delicious with a variety of drinks (juice, water, tea, coffee) breads, fruit and meat available. There's a charming courtyard in the back with bikes available as well as parking (we did not drive). It is an easy cab from the train station if you're arriving, or a half-hour or so jaunt if you're walking (not recommended with bags on Brugge's cobblestone streets).

And while there is a dog of Brugge sitting watch over one of the canals, there's an even friendlier one at the hotel (a pet of one of the innkeepers). Being an ocean away from our dogs, he was a willing substitute and played fetch in the courtyard after breakfast every morning.

I can say that we enjoyed our time in Brugge and the Adornes, but it's truly a testament to the charm of a hotel when you're sad to leave it at the end of a stay. We look forward to our return.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Yellowdog442

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Greek first

Nice Location
Rooms Small but vgood
Staff excellent
Free Bikes
High Price (for Brits @150E for attic canal facing double)....ask for a 10% discount...sometimes given

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank davidrboyne
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 24 February 2009

My wife and I have been travelling to Bruges for years on business and often stay at Adornes. We like the beautiful location, wonderful staff and good breakfasts. The rooms are on the small side and could use some updating but are always very clean. The beds are just OK. I can sleep on anything buy my wife finds the mattresses thin and a little uncomfortable. All in all, it was a very nice place for us to stay-not fancy but cozy and comfortable. However, of late their room prices have increased substantially making Adornes less than a good value for the price.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank PAPASMURF46
Birmingham, England.
Reviewed 22 January 2009

We visited the Adornes hotel for 4 nights in September 2008 and there isn’t much I can add to what has already been said.
The location of the hotel is superb, no more than a 10 minute walk to the main square, it overlooks a very pretty canal. If you book a room with a canal view then you need to be prepared for some noise from the street below, this might be more of a problem in the summer rather than the winter. The hotel also offers free parking which is huge bonus in Bruges where parking is generally very difficult.
The hotel staff we’re all very helpful and pleasant, they were more than happy to recommend a local restaurant or bar.
The rooms we’re kept very clean and although not large, there is more than enough space. The decor of the rooms is a little Spartan but still very nice. It has already been mentioned many times that the shower head is hand held and not fixed to a wall bracket, this can be a bit awkward at first but you soon get used to it.
There a few nice bars in the immediate area (very important to us heavy drinkers). Directly across from the hotel on the other side of the canal is a bar whose name I cannot remember but it’s bright red exterior makes it hard to miss. There is also a very old bar, I think the oldest in Bruges, just behind the hotel in one of the side streets, this is also well worth a visit, again I can’t remember it’s name.
I can’t comment on the breakfast as we didn’t manage to make it out of bed in time.
Bruges itself is a lovely city and I would thoroughly recommend both Bruges and the Adornes Hotel, we will certainly be using this hotel again when we next visit Bruges.
Before I finish I should mention the hotel dog Arthur, he seems to live in the courtyard where all of the bikes are kept (the hotel also offers free bike hire). When you press the buzzer to re-enter the courtyard with your bike the first thing you will be confronted with is Arthur and his football. He’s one hell of a goalkeeper, he’s also very good with his head and his passing ability with both front paws is exceptional. In fact, I would go as far as to say he’s a lot more talented than most of the blokes I’ve played football with during my younger years!

• Liked — Friendly helpful staff, location.
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Craig B
vancouver, bc
Reviewed 2 January 2009

My husband and I spent 2 nights here last Summer. The hotel was a little hard to find, but once we were there everything was perfect. Take advantage of their parking garage (its free but you have to reserve it). We had the canal view room which was great, it was clean big, and very quiet. The breakfast buffet in the morning was delicious and served in a very charming room. The staff is very helpful, the location is scenic and excellent, walking distance to everything. Overall a perfect stay!

• Liked — the canal view
  • Disliked — hard to find
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Traveltoads
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 30 December 2008

My wife and I spent three wonderful days at the Hotel Adornes (11-16 DEC 08). We chose the hotel based on Trip Advisor rankings and a recommendation by Rick Steeves. The hotel exceeded our expectations primarily due to the personal attention provided by the entire staff. Recommendations for tours, lace, chocolate, and restaurants all proved execeptional. The also coordinated train reservations to our next location. They have bikes in excellent condition to tour the town. Breakfast was also very nice. The hotel was spotless, the rooms comfortable and the canal location was charming. It was also very convenient to a bus stop.

• Liked — Location and the attitude of the staff
  • Disliked — No shower curtain on the tub making the shower a little tricky
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Fairfax_Travelers
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 December 2008

Visited 12/3-6/08. Married couple.

From the front desk, to the room, to the location and the beautiful breakfast room, this hotel was wonderful. Be assured your needs will be attended to, your questions answered with a smile and you will be made to feel at home by the staff and your fellow travelers.

Located on a quite canal street, you are a short stroll to town. Our room (no.19) while comfortably sparse, was immaculate and had the most comfortable bed I have slept on in europe so far. Room is above average in size for europe. We had a queen bed and tub/shower. The typical flemish breakfast (meat, cheeses, fruit pastry, cereals, etc.), included in the price, is a great way to start your day! With its many windows and beautiful huge old fireplace as a centerpiece, the breakfast room is warm and inviting. The basket of breakfast pastries and bread served each morning are to be enjoyed! Indulge - you will walk off the calories :)

Since we were there during winter (it snowed one day! Yeah!) we did not utilize the free bikes - but know this would be a great way to get around and highly suggest it!

With free Wifi in the room and a computer for your internet use off of the lobby, you can stay connected.

If arriving my train, take a taxi from the train station - no more than 10 euros and a short, convenient ride to the front door. Getting on the bus with luggage looks to be a challange and it is a very long walk!

If you appreciate understated and charming comfort, having all of your basic comforts and lodging needs met, without all the unnecessary wrappings of flashy extravagance, you will enjoy your stay at the Hotel Adornes - we did!

Bruges is beautiful, even in the winter! Enjoy!

Just a note - there was not a minifridge in the room - this we would have utilized but may not be important to others. Toiletries were minimal, but since I had my own did not ask for extras, but I am quite confident they would have provided extra with pleasure if I had.

• Liked — Comfort, cleanliness, location, great value, breakfast, hospitality! Most everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Passtraveler