“Excellent location, good value for money”
Review of Jacobs Hotel

Jacobs Hotel
Ranked #73 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
“Excellent location, good value for money”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

With the Markt just 10 minutes walk south along the pretty canals of Bruges, this hotel has a terrific location. If you walk away in the other direction, you will soon come upon the beautiful windmills at the eastern edge of the city. The hotel itself is neat and clean, rather bijou, does its job with few frills or pretensions. Internet is available - thank God for the free wifi. There's a lesson there for the larger hotel chains and the ripoff American hotels. Breakfast could be better admittedly, but overall I have no hesitation in recommending this place.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I booked a room for 3 nights in early February at this hotel without looking at the reviews (which I normally do). I, subsequently, looked at the reviews and was bit worried, prior to my visit, that I might have made a mistake. Fortunately, this was not the case.

STAFF:
I arrived late(ish) and was welcomed by a man who I assumed was the manager. He was very friendly and gave me advice and directions on where to go to eat that evening. I had no further interractions with any members of staff until my departure and, having read the reviews, was prepared for the 'Tourist Tax'. The lady at the reception was quite friendly and booked me a taxi without any problems.

ACCOMMODATION:
I was quite surprised at the standard of the room which was very nice. Having read some of the more negative reviews, I can only assume that some rooms are better than others. The only problem that I experienced was that I was unfortunate to be in the next room to a child who appeared to be practicing tap dancing or gymnastics first thing each morning. His parents were obviously used to this as they had their own room further up the corridoor.

LOCATION:
I found the area around the hotel to be quite charming and enjoyed my daily walks along the canal into the main part of town. I am disabled but did not find the distance too far.

I did not attend breakfast (I'm not a breakfast person) so I cannot comment on the quality, etc.

All in all, I found my time there to be pleasant so would consider staying there on a future trip.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I'll get the negatives out of the way first, the 'Tourist Tax' appeared as we were checking out, but to be fair to the lady on reception she said that some companies pay it some don't. Legally (according to the Brugge Tourist board) the taxes should be included in the price, but the company i booked with said that the hotel collect it themselves, who's telling the correct story is anyone's guess. The room we had didn't have a shower curtain and therefore the floor became wet when we had a shower, which could have been hotter and there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the room. They are the only faults I could find. The staff were friendly and helpful, told us various places to eat, where banks are situated, live music venues etc and even changed the time for us on the parking permit. The rooms were spotless and comfortable, breakfast was nice and plentiful, a buffet style with meats, cheese and pastries as well as the usual cereals and toast, tea, coffee and juice. Its in a quiet part of town which means a walk wherever you go, but after a few beers and something to eat that is not a bad thing and its not as far as it looks on the map. The reason I have put 'check your booking' as the title is because i booked as B&B. The conformation e-mail confirmed that taxes had 'been paid' yet when we came to check out there was the question of this 'tourist or city tax' and according to the hotels conformation, we had booked on a 'room only' basis, so before you travel, if you have booked via the internet make sure that the conformation e-mails states that you have paid all taxes and that you are B&B or whatever.

Granger, Indiana
Reviewed 9 March 2013

The room was cozy and the neighborhood very quaint, but the staff was less than helpful. We arrived late so we were given the code to the front door to let ourselves in. Thank goodness it worked since there was no one working who could have helped. Our room did not get cleaned the next day because they didn't know we were there. Breakfast does not start until 8:30, this is also when the front desk staff shows up. We needed a taxi at 7:30 to catch a train and luckily found a member of the kitchen staff to help. Neither of us could figure out the hotel phone so the kitchen girl used her own phone to call us a taxi. We called the "emergency" number because we blew a fuse in the bathroom, we left a message and got no return call. Thank god it wasnt' a real emergency!

Room Tip: Plan ahead any needs with the staff the night before.
1 Thank NurseMarcella
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in February 2013. Unfortunately this hotel is ruined by the staff and the infamous (only to this hotel) 'city tax'. When we asked for any documentation to prove the city tax was lawful (if this was shown, we would have been happy to pay), the man at the desk got into a very childish strop that we could not see his 'private emails' and stormed off.
It did tarnish the end of our stay, and I would discourage anyone to stay here with dishonest staff and management at the helm.
Our room was 202 which had two single beds and the bathroom was up the hallway which is bizarre. Breakfast was an expensive at $12 per person.
The hotel is a great location and Bruges is a beautiful city, I would tell everyone to visit the city but never step into Jacobs Hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 202, it does not have en-suit and you have to walk up the corridor to find your...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jon O

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We stayed one night here on a booze and fag run from Portsmouth. Room was nice but no hot water when we arrived that evening or next morning. Shame really as this is what we will remember this hotel for and not the quiet location, good size room. Average breakfast - at least the tea and coffee was hot...!

Room Tip: Superior room was good
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Ignore all the reviews on here that talk about poor rooms and building work. Our room was lovely and there was no building work going on whilst we were there. The staff was friendly and helpful - they went so far as to leave breakfast in our rooms on the last day as we had to leave at 6.30am and they also booked us a taxi to the station.

Room Tip: The only rooms that might have a possible downside are the ones facing the fire escape - only 3 out...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends