“Good accomodation, terrible receptionist”
Review of Jacobs Hotel

Jacobs Hotel
Ranked #74 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Ias
“Good accomodation, terrible receptionist”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed at Jacobs for one night with a group of young actors who were taking part in an international theatre festival for students.
The receptionist was more than impolite with us. I wanted to complain to the manager for her asking us to leave our passports at the hotel just in case our students broke anything, which , obviousy didn't happen. But the idea of taking one's papers was unacceptable.
The breakfast was pretty good, and so were the rooms, but the unfriendly attitude of the staff spoilt our stay in Bruges.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alina40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

The hotel is in a good location, just 10 mins walking distance to the market place.The rooms are clean and tidy, we stayed in the budget room which means the bathroom is private but outside the room but that wasn't a huge problem. The materasses weren't the most confortable but we slept quite well. Breakfats is very average, staff are very helpful and their English is really good. Overall not a bad experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Great location , great decor , amazing breakfast ...Only 10 minutes stroll to the sights, free parking outside , friendly staff , breakdast even included pancakes , We got a room close to the stairs on the 1st floor , nice room but very noisy as guests returned from the town during the night could be heard chatting as they went to their rooms and also the guy in the room next door snoring loudly was also easily heard , Sleep quality was'nt great as a result but nice room, good bed and big shower ...

Room Tip: avoid rooms near the stairs
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Kent, UK
Reviewed 25 April 2013

The hotel is in a nice quiet square looking over the church. The rooms are a good size, clean and well decorated. It is a short walk to the Belfry past the Choco museum and canals. For food you are best off finding somewhere in the city centre but the receptionist is helpful and will point you in the direction of the best places for shopping, eating and drinking. I would stay here again if I visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We stayed for two nights this weekend just gone and were very impressed. The rooms were beautiful, it was easy to find and the staff were very helpful.
They were friendly, jokey and helped enormously with the logistics of leaving Bruges.
Not too far from the main market square but through some small back roads so having a map helped!
Having read some reviews that were unhappy with the 'tourist tax' I did some research and it is a legitimate thing- €2.50 per person per night, payable at the end. Had I not researched and been expecting it I imagine it would come as quite a surprise!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Remixyourbrain
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed 22 April 2013

With the Markt just 10 minutes walk south along the pretty canals of Bruges, this hotel has a terrific location. If you walk away in the other direction, you will soon come upon the beautiful windmills at the eastern edge of the city. The hotel itself is neat and clean, rather bijou, does its job with few frills or pretensions. Internet is available - thank God for the free wifi. There's a lesson there for the larger hotel chains and the ripoff American hotels. Breakfast could be better admittedly, but overall I have no hesitation in recommending this place.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I booked a room for 3 nights in early February at this hotel without looking at the reviews (which I normally do). I, subsequently, looked at the reviews and was bit worried, prior to my visit, that I might have made a mistake. Fortunately, this was not the case.

STAFF:
I arrived late(ish) and was welcomed by a man who I assumed was the manager. He was very friendly and gave me advice and directions on where to go to eat that evening. I had no further interractions with any members of staff until my departure and, having read the reviews, was prepared for the 'Tourist Tax'. The lady at the reception was quite friendly and booked me a taxi without any problems.

ACCOMMODATION:
I was quite surprised at the standard of the room which was very nice. Having read some of the more negative reviews, I can only assume that some rooms are better than others. The only problem that I experienced was that I was unfortunate to be in the next room to a child who appeared to be practicing tap dancing or gymnastics first thing each morning. His parents were obviously used to this as they had their own room further up the corridoor.

LOCATION:
I found the area around the hotel to be quite charming and enjoyed my daily walks along the canal into the main part of town. I am disabled but did not find the distance too far.

I did not attend breakfast (I'm not a breakfast person) so I cannot comment on the quality, etc.

All in all, I found my time there to be pleasant so would consider staying there on a future trip.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo