“Good location but small shabby room”
Review of Jacobs Hotel

Jacobs Hotel
Ranked #74 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
UK
“Good location but small shabby room”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Spent one night at the Hotel Jacobs as part of a 3 week road trip round Europe. It was in a good and quiet location - 10 minute walk from the town, and the best value hotel we found on the internet to book prior to leaving Englang (paid about 75 euros). Staff were friendly and helpful and our room was ready on arrival at 12pm. The room itself was the main disappointment really, it was small and a bit musty with a soft saggy bed and a tiny en-suite bathroom. The curtains were almost see through so we were awake as soon as it got light. I wonder if we were given this room for having paid a cheaper price on the internet - all three adjacent rooms to ours were empty all night, and we saw when we looked in them were massive, light and airy compared to ours!

This aside, though, there was quite a good self-serve breakfast in the morning included, of croissants, meats and cheeses, bread, cereal etc and coffee and juice. The hotel also takes credit cards. We parked just on the road outside which was free. All in all it was an OK place to stay for the night, but we didn't have a great night's sleep on the saggy bed and I would only recommend it to people on the basis that it was cheap and in a good location. It would probably be described as 'charming and authentic' in a travel guide, but I have to say we preferred the next more modern hotel we stayed at in Ghent with the crisp white sheets, air conditioning and black out curtains for 10 euros less! Philistines, I know.......

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
St Andrews
Reviewed 29 May 2007

We had a pleasant room at the top of the hotel, great view across the rooftops to the Belfort, a bit lacking in cupboard space, but made up for by a big shiny modern bathroom, and most important - a very comfortable bed. The staff were helpful, breakfasts good. 10 mins walk from the centre of things, in a very nice neighbourhood with canals a stones throw away.

Transfers from the Superfast Ferry were very well organized, everything ran like clockwork.
Can't wait to go back....

• Liked — Good bed - slept like a baby.
  • Disliked — Coffee could have been better
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Annaku
bristol
Reviewed 28 May 2007

After failing to get into the hotel of our choice we found the Hotel Jacobs was available and it turned out to be better than our prefferred hotel! The hotel is very relaxing and there were plenty of helpful staff avilable to pass on their knowledge and advice. The room we had, a triple, was very clean, quite spacious and with a very nice bathroom, although the room faced the front of the hotel it was still very quiet. The breakfast room is very pleasant and large with a great choice of cereals and continental style food. A small bar area and a guest lounge are perfectly adequate for such a hotel.
We had stayed in this part of Brugge previously and knew it was a quiet area within easy walking - 10 minutes, of the Market Square with some very nice cafe/restaurants en route.
We'd have no hesitation using this hotel again or recommending this professionally run hotel to anyone else

• Liked — location and price
  • Disliked — nothing, everything was fine
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank bornagaincyclist
Hampshire, UK
Reviewed 3 November 2006

The Jacobs is a small hotel in a quiet predominantly residential area of Bruges, with very friendly & helpful staff. It is a pleasant 10 minute walk from the main centre of town (but so are some of the "central" hotels).

I had no trouble parking in the street, but I felt guilty about parking outside someone's house for the duration of my stay. But it is more convenient than having to park in one of the underground car parks, and free.

The hotel is comfortable but not luxurious, with more character than the chain hotels but without the frills such as a swimming pool. It has a small bar, but I never saw anyone else in there. Breakfast was fine, but some items did start to run out towards the end of the session (so get down early). Rooms at the front overlook the church. Our room had quite gaudy colours and fairly old furniture - more like a B&B than a hotel.

A bonus of staying this end of town is that you can buy Belgian chocolates & beers cheaper in the local shops than in the more glitzy ones in the centre.

Cost wise, I found this on par with the Novotel which offers less character but more facilities and better breakfasts. This may be because I was travelling with my wife and son; the Novotel (and other chains) tend to work out better value for families because children in the parents' room go free, whereas we had to book a triple room at the Jacobs, effectively paying for 3 adults. It may work out cheaper for a couple.

I will stay at the Jacobs again, but I did return to the Novotel last time I was in Bruges (I have posted a review of that hotel too). As I say, the Novotel did work out similarly priced for me and does rate slightly higher on some factors than the Jacobs, in my opinion. But if staying in a smaller hotel in a residential part of town means a lot to you, go for the Jacobs. I'm just glad I've found 2 excellent hotels in my favourite city.

• Liked — Small & friendy, in quiet part of town but a short walk to the main attractions.
  • Disliked — Can't actually find fault, but lacks some of the comfort of bigger hotels.
  • Tips/Secrets — Be careful where you park - there is plenty of free on-street parking, but also plenty of permit or no-parking zones. If in doubt, ask a reception if your car is OK where it is.
  • Stayed July 2004, travelled with family
7 Thank Farnborough
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 October 2006

We were trying to make this trip on a budget since we're doing quite a lot of traveling this year, and the Hotel Jacobs was a perfectly fine budget hotel. It was a bit away from the "action", as someone mentioned, but we preferred that because it was quiet. It was only a 10 minute walk to the Markt and Brugge is a wonderful walking town. (In fact, we were there 3 days and intended to go to Ghent on one of them, but we so enjoyed wandering around from one "Kodak moment" to the next, that we never got out of Brugge.)

We did spend a bit more for one of the larger rooms and I think it was worth the few extra Euros since we were there 4 nights and didn't feel as claustrophobic as in we do in some European budget hotels. Breakfast was more than adequate. My only caution would be that it might be hot in the summer. Our room got the afternoon sun and was pretty warm when we got back at night, even though it wasn't particularly hot in mid-Sept. The larger room had cross ventilation, so we were able to cool it off pretty quickly by opening both windows (which housekeeping closed daily, I suppose to keep out the mosquitoes). And we didn't have a lot of trouble with mosquitoes but that could be a problem sometimes, I imagine, since they supply some sort of electrical mosquito device. But some of the smaller rooms we saw (since they keep the doors open when the rooms aren't occupied) might have benefited from a fan in warmer months.

• Liked — the quiet location
  • Disliked — room too warm when we got back at night
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tripsforwalters
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 July 2006

We stayed here in June and had a lovely stay in the city of Brugge. This was a last minute decision, and we are very glad we decided to go. This hotel has definite character and a wonderful breakfast, decent room. The only complaint I would state is that it's about 20 minute walk from where all the action is. But, the hotels 'where are all the action is' is about 70-100 Euro more. I think I would rather walk. :)

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank lionheart15
miami
Reviewed 21 May 2006

i was thrilled when i saw my hotel and the beautiful large room and large bathroom i was given in Brugge....a ten minute walk took me to all the tourist attractions and there were restaurants nearby with excellent food at very fair prices...the staff was terrific...everything was spotless and the breakfast was fantastic...although i stayed only one night i could have moved right in and never left...obviously i loved it!

6 Thank flyaway40