“Unique Knights Room”

Ranked #27 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Long Beach, NY
“Unique Knights Room”
Reviewed 23 October 2011

After much research, I decided to reserve a Knights Room at Hotel Jan Brito. My husband and I spent four nights in room 10.

Room 10 is located on an upper floor, facing the street. The room has a very high ceiling with 16th century oak beams. At first, I was apprehensive at having to sleep under all that old wood! My husband, on the other hand, instantly loved the room. Use caution, as there is a low beam between the bed area and the space where the table and chairs are located. Surprisingly, we never bumped into the beam.

The bathroom is charming with oak beams, scalloped sink and small window. There was a generous supply of towels, including washcloth mitts. Good hair dryer in the bathroom, one of the best I’ve used in a hotel. The top of the bathroom doorway is slanted, watch your head! The bathtub is deep, with nothing (except a beam) to hold onto if you are stepping out of the bathtub after taking a shower.

The buffet breakfast was excellent. The woman working at breakfast was especially nice. Everyone at Hotel Jan Brito was helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 21 October 2011

I do not know what I am missing based upon all the great reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor but my experience spending two nights in this hotel was sadly disappointing. The staff is good, the historic hotel is close to Market Square, and the parking garage is located close by. I booked a garden suite, priced from 199-320 Euro/night, and paid the lessor amount, non-refundable fee. Maybe my expectations are out of whack but when I book a 4-star hotel, I expect a comfortable place to sit, sleep, and eat and a place to drink a few good cups of coffee in the morning. I booked a suite but I was given a horribly uncomfortable loft room with extremely steep stairs, a small upstairs bedroom that actually had a nice bathroom with a separate tub and shower, I didn't need both but it is too bad I couldn't sleep in there, it looked more inviting than the rest of the suite. The suite had two terribly uncomfortable low-sitting hard-cushioned straight-backed chairs available to sit on downstairs & a bed upstairs. They did have televisions available, two 9-inch screen TV's, one upstairs & one downstairs, 9-inch - really?! Moammar Gadhafi was killed today and I wanted to watch CNN, what no CNN available in a 4-star hotel?! Upon check-in, they provided me with a password to use their 'free' Wi-Fi and I was able to get on-line in my room for a few minutes before I was automatically disconnected, repeatedly. I was on a business trip and I had to go elsewhere to be able to access my work. The lack of comfort, my inability to sleep well in this room, the small screen TV, the non-existent 'free' Wi-Fi & the bad coffee were unacceptable for the price of these accommodations. I always thought 4-star hotels had restaurants available on-site too. They do offer limited food items that can be delivered via room service that they get from a restaurant nearby but it is closed on Monday. They do have a nice breakfast buffet but the coffee was bad. I felt like I was chasing a good cup of coffee all day to make up for that horrible taste in my mouth. The room itself provided the most uncomfortable accommodations I have ever stayed in to date. I will not be back; I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay at the 16th Century Hotel Erasmus, they have a lovely suite that overlooks the canal
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank Ives_11
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This hotel is lovely. The staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful and the rooms were palatial. A higher ceilinged bedroom I have scarcely seen, and whilst the Marie Antoinette inspired interiors aren't something I would choose to live with on a daily basis, they made for a luxurious feeling hotel room and certainly gave it a wow factor. Our room was more than large enough, as was the bathroom, and everything was present to ensure a lovely stay. If we had to criticise anything it would be that our room was a little dusty, and a dead fly present on the windowsill when we arrived was still there until we removed it ourselves a couple of days later. But that's extremely nitpicky and doesn't detract much from the overall greatness of the hotel.

Breakfast was lovely, and was served in an eccentrically-decorated room staffed by smiley and multilingual staff. Reception was similarly staffed by happy and courteous people.

Overall we loved our stay there and would definitely go back to the Jan Brito should we return to Brugge.

Room Tip: We had a Baroness room, with a king-sized bed and a slightly larger room. If you can manage the ext...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CLHScott
Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2011

The hotel is located a few minutes walk from the centre of Bruges. The reception areas and breakfast room were lovely. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious. The Knight's Room in which we stayed was large and clean with an enormous, modern bathroom overlooking the street. The room was reached by walking through the courtyard, unlocking a door, and then climbing a steep staircase to the actual bedroom and bathroom. Since we had only one small suitcase each, it was not a problem to get our luggage to and from the room. (Those individuals with more luggage or difficulty climbing stairs may wish, when booking, to specify a room that can be reached by the elevator.) Bruges is absolutely delightful and we regretted having only two days to visit it.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Betty D, Owner at Hotel Jan Brito, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear,

We are delighted to read you had a lovely retreat!
Visiting Bruges for 2 days is a good start, but indeed, it offers a lot more than people expect.
So, we‘re looking forward to welcome you and your friends at our hotel again to discover more about our lovely town.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Having read the reviews we decided to book the Jan Brito for a 'big' birthday break and we were not disappointed. The hotel was lovely and is elegant and charming and ideally placed. We stayed in the newer block at the back which suited us well as it was quiet but atmospheric. The room was stylish and perfectly well cleaned and the bathroom was blissful. The buffet breakfast is absolutely heaving and if you cannot be satisfied by the very varied choice then you must be a particularly picky eater!

The staff were pleasant and helpful. Not in your face but effective when asked. They even opened the bar at 2am in the morning to serve us a couple of gin & tonics, after we had arrived a very weary pair.

The location is good being within walking distance of everything you could need or wish to visit. Bruges is a lovely old city and we thoroughly enjoyed our time and heartily recommend the Jan Brito.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Betty D, Owner at Hotel Jan Brito, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
Dear,

We appreciate you took some time to write this kind review and we’re pleased to read you enjoyed the Birthday break.

Looking forward to welcome you and / or your friends on another occasion.

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one week 26th September- 3 October for our honeymoon.
We chose the hotel because of its excellent reviews and it most certainly did not disappoint!! Our room (A Duchess Suite- room 22 in the old outbuildings overlooking the beautiful gardens), was clean, tidy, well sized and utterly charming. On arrival we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room, where we found a congratulations card from the owner of the hotel (such a nice touch). We were also treated to a bottle of champagne by the hotel, which was such a generous gesture we were blown away by it.
The breakfasts were superb, a real feast, in a beautiful breakfast room, and the staff (breakfast, cleaning, and reception) were all utterly faultless.
The hotel is in a lovely location near the fish market- no more than five minutes away from the Belfry and the Markt, but such a quiet and peaceful location!
Of course this hotel is not as new and sparkling as a modern hotel, but it is very good condition in keeping with the feeling of the building- the rooms are modern and clean but the overall experience is authentically Belgian. Some modern hotels feel sterile but the Jan Brito has a real personality, which we really loved.
Overall, we cannot fault our stay at the Jan Brito- it was a perfect hotel for a perfect honeymoon and we would love to return at some point!
Thank you to everyone at Jan Brito for making our honeymoon so wonderful- keep up the good work!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amy B
Betty D, Owner at Hotel Jan Brito, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Dear,

We appreciate you took some time to write this kind review. It’s a pleasure to read you had a lovely time at our hotel and a perfect Honeymoon!
Providing our guests a memorable stay with moments to never forget, is what we try to achieve.

We’re all looking forward to welcome you again and celebrate your wedding anniversaries at our hotel!

Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 2 October 2011

This is a lovely place. There is a wonderful garden/courtyard with a fountain that was splendid to relax in after walking about the city. The hotel is conveniently located and the staff was wonderful. I thought this hotel was an excellent value.

• Stayed September 2011
Betty D, Owner at Hotel Jan Brito, responded to this review, 9 October 2011
Dear,

We thank you for your kind words and we're pleased to read you had a lovely time in our hotel.
We’re looking forward to welcome you and / or your friends at the Jan Brito hotel.