“Elegant small hotel”
Review of Hotel Jan Brito

Hotel Jan Brito
Ranked #24 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights. It is in a beautifully restored building a short walk from the Vismarkt. Even with a fractured foot I had no trouble walking to the points of interest in Bruges. The staff was very nice and very helpful. The room immaculate and cleaned each day. I would definitely recommend the Jan Brito to friends.

Breakfast was very good. There was a selection of cheeses,cold meats, cereals, yogurts, eggs, bacon, sausage and baked goods.

I have two very minor complaints. One is that the hairdryer, attached to the wall, was inconveniently placed and not powerful enough. My second is that the shower curtain tried to stick to you while showering. Picky, I know.

If you are visiting Bruges, stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 6. It faced the courtyard and was very quiet.
2  Thank Suetoo62
Write a ReviewReviews (1,255)

Reviewed 11 June 2013

This hotel was a very good choice for a 3-night-stay in Bruges. We stayed in one of the more affordable rooms, and our room was comfy and clean. The free wifi was a huge bonus, as was the nice breakfast with a lovely view to the garden. The building itself was magnificently restored old building with character. Staff was very nice and helpful. The hotel was perfectly located, only a few-minute-walk from the Markt. Would recommend to all.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Hotel was spotless, staff friendly and helpful. Situated just minutes from the sights of Bruges. Breakfast good our room was cleaned every day. Courtyard was lovely and peaceful. We would return to this hotel.

1  Thank Rozza20
Reviewed 5 June 2013

A good hotel near to the centre of the city. No onsite parking but there is a very safe underground parking facility a couple of hundred yards away which is about 10 euros a day. Hotel very clean with lots of character. Fantastic breakfast. Rooms are very nice with pleasant decor and huge bathrooms with an excellent shower. Didn't drink in the hotel bar (too many other places to drink) but it looked pleasant enough. Ideally located to all the main attractions and in easy walking distance to the main square. Good for a weekend visit. I was staying there for my birthday and they even gave me a card which was a nice touch. Nothing was too much trouble at all. The only small criticism is that they charge you for a city map if you lose the first one they give you which is free. Basically its one per booking and after that you have to pay 2 euros per map.

Room Tip: There are some rooms which have sloping ceilings so if you are tall like my husband you may want to...
2  Thank Rachel U
Reviewed 3 June 2013

The property is definitely a nicely restored old building with character respectful to retro values. Breakfast was 4 stars: high quality, ample choices with freshly made juice. Also the hotel staff was kind and eager to answer questions at their best abilities.

However..

In Room 24 where we were booked, one of the light bulbs implemented on the roof's rafters was burned and another one about to go out...
Curtains (Roman) next to the bed had stains on them...
Most importantly utility-wise, Internet in our room did not work at all and I mean the wi-fi was not even visible even though when I booked the room it was stated to be complimentary. I complained twice at the reception for this but nothing changed. So I had to stay close to the reception area in order to send some important mails...

If you want to charge like a 4 star hotel you must provide full 4 star service to your guests. Yet even though I complained during check out about the internet problems the receptionist did nothing to address these shortfalls. Check out date was 30.5.13

I understand when problems occur and they will always occur but for me the most important factor is how they are dealt with, how the last chapter is being written and this time I felt I didn't get full service for the full amount I paid

Room Tip: If Internet is important to you make sure reception is given while you check in
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank yourgas
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed at the Hotel jan Brito room no. 14 some days ago for one night.
The reception was welcome and warm. Service and willing to help were great.
The Hotel is situated near the interesting things in Brugge .
The breakfast was good and we could be more than satisfied. But the room we received
Was very narrow we couldn't move . Actually the bathroom was almost the size of the room.
We managed for one night but for longer time it is impossible.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I arrived today and phoned reception to say the drains in the bathroom smell bad and could we be moved...to which I was told there would be a charge.

Receptionist came to the room with drain cleaner and just put it in, I asked would we be able to shower as it we were expecting to.To which I was killed with a smile. She smiled and said I just came up to help you I will ask the supervisor. Long conversation key points were:
No manager available at weekend
She said its an old hotel what do you expect
She cut me off and said "aren't you going to let me finish"
Rude and all with a patronising smile

Hideous!