“Great place to stay”

De Barge Hotel
Ranked #45 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

What a great find. We've just returned from ha great stay at De Barge and loved it. Rooms were clean and comfy our standard room was on the small side but remember this is a boat. Parked our motorbike right outside for free and had no worries about security. Staff were friendly and a great buffet breakfast. didn't try the restaurant but the menu looked excellent. The city centre is about 20mins walk and there are a couple of decent bars 5 mins away. We downloaded a city walking guide onto our tablet http://www.in-bruges.co.uk/walking-tour-in-bruges/walking-tour-in-bruges.html. This starts at the railway station which is not far but we gave this a miss and began at the Minnewater which is stop no 2 on the itinerary and just across the road from the hotel.
Minor compliant about the erratic water supply to our room but would defiantly recommend a stay.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2013

On Friday evening of the 19th of April this year both myself and my partner made a spur of the moment decison to drive down to Folkstone from Cardiff, take the shuttle and spend the weekend in Bruges. We booked the shuttle and our Sunday evening hotel in Calais for our return journey but finding an hotel in Bruges was proving difficult. All the hotels I looked at, when I rang, the rooms they were actually showing weren't the rooms we would be given. At a last attempt I clicked to the next page and De Barge Hotel appeared. It looked perfect. Without checking on Trip Advisor I booked the last available room "The Captains Room" No 27. When my partner came in and I told him, he quickly checked on Trip Advisor while I started packing. "OMG what have you done" he called out. "Have you read the reviews". They weren't good. I decided to put it to the back of my mind and the following morning early we drove to the shuttle. One and a quarter hours after arriving in Calais we were at De Barge Hotel. The instructions were brilliant and we arrived with no mistakes. The Barge looked fantastic. Parking was just outside and free. With trepidation we entered. I was expecting the place to be dirty, smelly and very uninviting. To the contrary, the decor was superb. Very nautical and spotlessly clean. No smell of smoke. Probably one of the quietest hotels I have stayed in. No noisy hotel room doors slamming and I didnt hear anybody in the rooms next door. We had a beautiful view from the windows of the canal with the ducks bobbing about. The staff were friendly and helpful. It was just across the road, 2 mins walk and you were entering the centre of Bruges. So convenient. We decided to eat at the hotel in the evening and I must say the food was first class. We had the six course menu which included an Amuse Bouche, Lobster Soup, Snails, a choice of main course, I chose the Veal Tongue with mashed potato. It was gorgeous. A sorbet between courses and desert. The staff were a little slow but it was busy and I think the young girl was training. Possibly more staff needed for the restaurant. I would definately return to this hotel again especially if you are looking for something a little bit different. I do have some photographs which I shall be adding later. So pleased that I didnt listen to the bad reviews.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lee1963
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

In all my 40 years of travelling this is the worst hotel I have stayed in a) the cabins are miniscule b)the walls are paper thin you can hear everything from the next room c)the rooms smell d) most importantly I hit my head on the light fitting which I have taken photos of and sent to health and safety in Belgium they made single single rooms into doubles without changing the fittings e) the staff were very rude f) don't be conned into the romantism of staying on a barge etc it is horrible!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank iskender1142
Germany
Reviewed 25 March 2013

Pretty good Hotel, walking distance from downtown, rooms are pretty small but nice. Reception could be more helpful and friendly, but was ok. Breakfast was good. Free parking outside the hotel.Very special so worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luis7804
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We took a two week road trip to Europe and the only hotel we booked before going over was this one which was for our first night because we knew we would have jet lag. The hotel is made from an old barge and sits on a river. If you're looking for a fun and different hotel, this is a great choice! We weren't in the town center, but just a short walk away (and away from any noise!). We were able to park on property at the hotel which is always a plus! We checked in, went out and explored, had a beer, and then slept for several hours. It was late when we finally wanted dinner (8:30 pm-ish) so we went to the restaurant at the hotel. We were the only other people dining. A young college guy, Dardan, was our server for the night. We enjoyed an excellent first meal in Europe! We had local beer, frites, and dessert! We also enjoyed great conversation with Dardan!

Our room looked out onto the water and we even enjoyed ducks quaking during the night. The hotel doesn't have lots of frills, but we weren't looking for that. This is definitely the most unique hotel we've stayed in and it was a great first night in Europe for us thanks to the uniqueness of the room and the pleasant service and conversation with Dardan at dinner!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The De Barge Hotel is a converted barge. So, if you are looking for marble bathrooms or a suite of rooms you are going to be disappointed. The rooms were small, but very comfortable, functional and well-appointed. It is hilarious to enter your "cabin" to find life jackets prominently displayed on the bed. We were on the lower "deck" and thus were just above water level. We were thus well positioned to watch the ducks and swans swim past our room. After much study we resolved that some of the ducks were but decoys. We had a very nice view of the canal on which De Barge floats and of the green space beyond the canal. The staff was very friendly, helpful and courteous. The breakfast was delicious with a nice variety of fruits, breads, cheeses, etc. The hotel is away from the historic area of Brugge, but is a very easy and pleasant walk of perhaps half a mile. To get to Brugge you'll go through a very nice garden/park. The hotel has a restaurant that serves dinner. There is another restaurant next door. So, if you are concerned about wandering around after dark to find a restaurant, this should not be a concern. The hotel is also fairly close to the railroad station. We were able to walk with our bags with little difficulty. The hotel is also fairly easy to find from the railroad station. I have no doubt that when we return to Brugge, and we will, we'll stay at De Barge.

Room Tip: Make sure that you ask for a canal or water view. The land-side of De Barge faces what appears to be...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights in the Officer's cabin, which was an absolute delight. The room was very large and contained a doublr bed, escritoire, small sofa, jacuzzi bath with seperate shower and was decorated in wonderful nautical theme that is tasteful and not trashy. The room also had views over the canal so one could watch other barges pass and receive waves from the captain or watch ducks float by.

The breakfast was outstanding with a wide continental selection which is of good quality; smoked salmon, various meats, crepes, selection of fruit etc.

The barge is 5 minute walk from the train station and 15 minutes from the Grote Markt (Grand Place), although walking at night can take you a little longer when you think you know where your going! The streets feel very safe and particulatly quite but that may be because we came after Christmas season.

We had an excellent stay here and would recommend it, especially if you want to get away from bog standard hotels.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple