“You need to stay here!!!”

Hotel De Tuilerieen
Ranked #24 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I have to admit this wasn't my first choice when looking for a hotel but it was my second choice and when I found out they were fully booked for the time I needed, I switched my travel plans to come to Bruges first so I could stay here. I arrived early in the day and found I did not have a canal view but the wonderful staff took care of that. The room was great. You can't ask for a better view with the belfry and the canal- just wonderful. And ideally situated. Some people have said that street facing rooms were noisey but I did not find that the case and I'm a light sleeper. The sound of horses clopping down the street is not what I call a bad noise to wake up to! The staff were great. I got bitten by some bug somewhere and they helped me with some antiseptic and asked after me later on. I was very sad to leave this hotel and I can't say enough great things about it. Stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,550)

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Delightful old world charm located next to the canal. Large comfortable tastefully furnished rooms.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank GDenman
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The staff at this hotel were excellent and we had an enjoyable stay. We stayed in the apartment which was very impressive and felt quite special but the bathroom in particular needed a good clean tas there was a lot of mould the fridge leaked and the electrics seemed very antiquated -lamp lights flickered when you touched the cables etc. Overall a place full of character but i wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank aheroofourtime
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We had a lovely room that overlooked the canal. We were able to open our large windows to enjoy the fall air - but sadly, there was a lot of traffic noise from the street - particularly since people drive amazingly fast down the cobblestone streets. The bathroom was good size and our room had a comfortable bed with two chairs, a table, and a desk. The staff was very helpful, particularly as my spouse lost his wallet, and we needed help making a claim with the train station. The hotel is in a great location and we would stay there again. The pictures in the bar suggest that the movie stars from the movie "In Brugges" stayed there as well. If it was good enough for Ralph Finnes, it is good enough enough for me!

Room Tip: The view is lovely if you get a canal view but you are paying more to hear street noise - at least i...
1  Thank ilovehuck
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Well worth the visit. Beautiful location, and beautiful interior. Good sized rooms, and the service from the staff was faultless. Highly recommmended. Check ahead if you want to eat dinner as they don't serve dinner every day, but this is a family run hotel and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Chose canal view if you want the view, this is a city hotel and side rooms have limited views.
Reviewed 20 September 2011

None of the reviews mention the annex of the hotel by the parking lot. Well, that used to be the stables back in the day that have been converted by the hotel to hotel rooms. Lucky us, that was our room on the first floor. It first looked charming, but the three stairs up to the bathroom are not very safe in the middle of the night. Also, the bathroom came with a tub (no shower), no shower curtain and no hook for the water hose. Plus, the water hose was broken spraying water all over the bathroom. The toiletries were slapped with the hotel name, so no idea what brand they were. The room was nice but all we heard were stomping footsteps from the room above in the early hours.
Besides Nicolas at the front desk, we did not find the hotel staff either attentive or useful. In fact, we asked one of the front desk members to exchange currency for us but he said he needed his money for other hotel patrons. Hello, what are we? So we had to find a currency exchange shop since he was unwilling to accomodate us. The worst part of our stay was our last night when we informed the front desk we had an early flight and had to check out at 5:15 am. They said no problem. We show up to check out only to find an inexperienced person at the front desk that hasn't been trained to do that. This person even has the nerve to ask us if we informed the hotel that we were checking out early! We did, but what if we didn't? He proceeds to call his manager/supervisor and wastes our morning minutes we need to catch the train. Not cool. Besides the great location of the hotel, I would not stay here again.

3  Thank EscapeChick
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We expected more from this member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World. Check-in was very elegant and nice, but it was downhill after that. Our room was in what appeared to be the old stables, which is their new annex across from the rear parking lot. No worries, it doesn’t look anything like stables anymore. The hardwood floor had hairs all over it that stuck to our socks. The bed was lumpy and uncomfortable. With the hardwood, we heard ever step taken by the people above us. The bathroom was large and had his and her sinks, which we enjoyed. However, the shower situation was a joke. They have a handheld shower with no hook to hang it from, so you wet yourself, drop the handheld in the tub hoping it doesn’t spray out, soap yourself up, then rinse off. Washing our face was the hardest part – trying to find the handheld with eyes closed. There wasn’t even a shower curtain, so we were always afraid of spraying the water out. Unfortunately for us, the handheld was broken upon arrival and sprayed out in multiple directions. All we wanted to do was shower after a day of travel. So, we just let the water spray all over the bathroom. It was a mess, but they came and cleaned it and fixed the problem quickly. Kudos for that, I guess. One final mention about the room, the toiletries stink, literally and figuratively. They smell way too sweet and are only branded with the hotel name. I suspect they use some cheap manufacturer and slap their branding on it to hide it up. Last, and possibly worst, they left some poor untrained fellow to run the front desk the morning of our departure. He had no clue how to check us out. He apologized and made a few calls. Eventually, he let us leave since we had a prepaid voucher. The whole check out experience was very amateur and we felt bad for the poor guy. Not an experience one would expect from a “luxury” hotel.

Room Tip: Do not stay in annex.
3  Thank VacationDude