“Excellent choice in Brugge”

Hotel De Tuilerieen
Ranked #21 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Edmonton, Canada
“Excellent choice in Brugge”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

When in Brugge, this hotel is close to the core plaza. The rooms are well-appointed and clean, with enough room to spare. The breakfast is actually outstanding, with a delightful chocolate fountain that pleases everyone. We enjoyed a beer tasting in the hotel bar - very good selection and knowledgeable bar staff.

Room Tip: select a courtyard view - usually quieter - unless you prefer a canal view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Greek first
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at the Tuilerieen Hotel in Bruges this last weekend through Voyage Prive. I have to say we VERY disappointed with our stay, from the advertisment they had made it sound like we would be issued a Junior suite which had a canal view (I know this is a Voyage Prive issue they have been emailed). When we got there we were issued a duplex suite which was situated in the far side of the car park, nowhere near the main hotel or the canal. The room had no natural light and was very dark, it was a converted attic room above an old gate house, it had a mezzanine level where the bed was and a lounge area at the base, although this sounds lovely it wasn't. The aircon unit didn't work properly and my Husband and I spent the whole night taking it in turns every half hour to get up walk down the stairs and switch it back on, as it was incredibly hot, outside it was 31 degrees at night inside the thermometer on the wall read 44 degrees (with aircon)!! We complained at reception and offered to pay more to upgrade, we were told they were full so we basically had to make do. We asked if they could give us a fan...nope, the only one was being used by the staff on reception, seriously is this 4/5 star service, I don't think so! The room didn't even have windows that could be opened wide, infact it didn't have a view at all apart from the top of the maintenance workers van that was parked in the car park below! I would also warn others that the stairs are polished wood and very slippy, we had to be very careful each time we used them and we are young, if you are elderly please don't accept this room. The room wasn't overly clean there was dust all round the skirting, some of you might think this is me being picky, I'm not my skirting boards at home are clean so I expect the same from a 4/5 star hotel. Also the towels in the bathroom were once white but had seen better days, two I wouldn't use and put straight into the linen basket.
So we thought, okay lets enjoy the pool and cool down...unfortunatley it was the size of a postage stamp and was full each time we went, when I say full, three people per time filled it!

The staff helped us to try and find a restaurant in the city for vegans, in fact they were most helpful with this, although unfortunatley Bruges doesn't seem to cater for vegans, well not in August anyway, the two vegan restaurants were closed until the 26th August...quite strange, being British we adapt and overcome, chip van it was then!

We had emailed the hotel after we booked though Voyage Prive and requested Gluten free and dairy free items at breakfast...I was issued with two pieces of just thawed GF bread and there was a choice of two different types of 'puddings', so for a £25 breakfast I had one piece of bread, three heated tomatoes and a chocolate pudding! Pathetic!

This hotel is really not what it sells itself as, the service we received was good, the staff were lovely however the room was awful and we would never recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept the suites in the carpark they are dreadful!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
qubilai
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Historic Bruges is not so very large so any hotel in the center is a good choice as a base for sightseeing, including De Tuilerieen. In addition, it has a beautiful interior and our room, at least, was cozy and comfortable and nicely decorated. It did not have a canal view but since we were out and about most of the time it really did not matter, and I believe it cost less than rooms facing the canal as well. We had a noise-free night and comfortable beds, so slept very well. The air conditioning was much appreciated as we were there during some of the hottest weather of the year so far. Free wifi was also welcome.

The staff were courteous and attentive, we have absolutely no complaints. We were able to drop off our bags and check in several hours early, although we could not go to the room until 3 p.m. We went sightseeing and when we returned at 3:00 our bags were in already in the room.

Breakfast the next morning was great, lots of choices and delicacies of all sorts -- try the crepes! On our morning there they had a nice assortment of berries as fresh as could be. And the service at breakfast was more attentive than one usually finds. Also the dining room décor is elegant yet cheerful -- a nice wake-up experience overall and a good start for the day. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights on way home from Italy.
Booked Superior room which was large and well furnished with a good sized and well fitted bathroom.
Hotel is located in centre of Brugge, adjacent to a canal, with everything in walking distance.
Whilst the hotel doesn't have a restaurant for dinner the dining room for breakfast is lovely and the breakfasts are very good.
Bar is small and very comfortable.
Staff were friendly and efficient.
Car park to the rear of the hotel is secure and whilst it is expensive, €25 / day you would be unable to park centrally and securely in Brugge for such an amount.
I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having decided to drive down to Bruges for a quick 2-day jaunt, I did a little research on the central hotels. I did use other TripAdvisor reviews to separate the wheat from the chaff, and I am so glad I did...it swayed me towards this little gem! De Tuilerieen could not have been a more perfect choice for our stay. The staff were friendly, helpful, and professional at all times. The room (we were on the third floor, so had windows in the sloped ceiling, which was very cute) was pristine, and the decor was glorious without being overbearing. I must admit that I didn't book the breakfast, as I knew we'd rather take a walk and find a caffe in the morning rather than try and eat our way through 25euro's worth of breakfast each, so I cannot comment on the food. However, this hotel is possibly the most perfect one I could have chosen. I was actually in Bruges looking for a hotel for a large group at Christmas, so I did get the chance to look around many hotels in the city during my little 48-hour adventure, and there are some splendid and very impressive hotels throughout this gorgeous city. However, De Tuilerieen is simply a little gem - wonderful location, beautiful boutique hotel with bags of style, and wonderfully happy and informative staff...I was *very* happy with my choice!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is an absoultely beautiful hotel in an old rustic way, with lovely staff and very large rooms and bathrooms. Rooms are clean and comfortable and there is a car park available at the back. They also accommodate dogs if you feel the need to take yours

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We had three nights at this lovely hotel. It is so well situated right opposite the canal
and within walking distance to everything. The hotel staff are very warm and friendly, and the breakfast is delicious, they even have a chocalate fountain, great for strawberry dipping. We had a suite overlooking the courtyard, I was a bit disappointed with the room as it was quite dark, and also on two floors, with the bathroom being downstairs. The funiture needs up dating in the lounge area, as it looked a but shabby, that was just a small thing as the bed was so comfortable.. I would go back to this hotel, but would want to stay in the main hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel and upgrade your room
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple