“Absolutely Wonderful!”

Hotel De Tuilerieen
Ranked #22 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The Hotel De Tuilerieen exceeded all of my expectations. One might expect to sacrifice modern comforts when staying in a hotel fashioned from a home built in the 15th Century. Not the case at Hotel De Tuilerieen. It is truly a lovely boutique hotel, each room unique and personal, and from my experience, this little gem of a hotel can compete with the best of them. The Hotel is sparkling clean, and the furnishings and fixtures are high quality but retain the charm of a period hotel. My stay was quiet and comfortable, and I enjoyed the lounge and the bar in the evening. The Hotel's breakfast is spectacular and not to be missed: freshly-made crepes, quiche, meats and cheeses, breads, eggs, fruits of all kinds, and a chocolate fountain! I had such a great experience, I will definitely return to visit Bruges and Hotel De Tuilerieen.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front of the hotel face the canal. In the back, they face the parking lot. Mine faced t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank RoxxinTampa

Reviewed 25 September 2013

This hotel/bed and breakfast has amazing customer service and is just beautifully charming! It has so much character, comfy beds, delicious smelling custom soap/shampoo/lotion, is quite, has a pool and steam room that is beautiful and a fabulous breskfast. STAY HERE, you will not regret it.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Randee B
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I booked this hotel well in advance, it was meant for a nice end to my drive home through Europe from Portugal before we went to the Eurotunnel. I booked it on the basis of, it was fairly expensive and in a good location. It is around a 5 minute walk from the main square, to which you can access all parts of Bruges.

We paid 180EUR for the room, and a supplement of 25EUR for the canal view. I felt a bit disappointed if I'm honest. Reason being, we arrived a day early in Bruges and stayed in another, much cheaper hotel. We were given (randomly) a canal view room, which was literally ON the canal, we were able to feed the ducks. So being charged 25EUR for a canal view, which wasn't anywhere near as spectacular as my previous hotel, felt a little bit sour.

Paying 180EUR for the room, I expect superior quality, as with any hotel that breaches the £150+ mark. Sadly, I felt the rooms didn't match the prestigious aura the hotel were trying to achieve in my opinion. I thought they were a little rough around the edges, whether they were looking for that effect, I don't know. The hotel seemed to be the type, where everything is charged for, and what they do charge for is always a bit steeper than what you'd normally expect. 25EUR for a breakfast per person, for example, seems very expensive to me. To combat this we ate at a small french cafe which is located en route to the main square, which was lovely! (I'll try and get a review up on here).

I get the feeling that if you pay for some of the more expensive rooms in this hotel, you may get a better room. But in hindsight, I would rather spend the money on the glorious food and sights, as to be fair you are not in your room very much!

Room Tip: Canal view means; over the road, over the pavement and then you see the canal. Do not be fooled, it...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lloydemery
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed in five different hotels over 2 weeks. Out of them all, this one was disappointing.

We are more about quiet than views (sadly)! We were offered an upgrade to a canal view and declined. Our room was in the main building on the back side, 1st floor at the top of a wooden stairway, overlooking an atrium #110 with what I think was a view of Our Lady of the Lake. I was planning on taking a picture the day of our departure, but when we didn't receive our requested wake up call and had to pack and leave abruptly to catch our train, I didn't get my shot.

The accomodations felt more like a Bed & Breakfast versus a hotel, due to the door being right next to the bed. Surprisingly it was quiet, until the cleaning staff starts to move about at 7:30 am. Our room was highly decorated with too many nick nacks collecting dust, a four poster bed and a make shift closet of a coat road above the bedside table. Creative planning! I did like the vintage feel, but prefer a more moden interior.

One staffer was friendly and accomodating, another was neutral and another seemed as if we were an inconvenience. Maybe she was shopping on line for a guest(could see reflection in the glass), however, they weren't present, so would have appreciated her being friendly, attentive and accomodating to us.

Location was perfect to sights and on a picturesque canal. Breakfast room was small and at one time people were waiting for tables. Not sure if they offered hot options. We asked about oatmeal/porridge which they didn't offer. When we were there on Saturday, I noticed hot foods coming out of the kitchen, but nothing was offered to us.

They were having a problem with their satellite, so only local channels were available in the rooms. English speaking programs were only available in the down stairs living area. Wifi connectivity was good.

Took a day trip to Knokke seaside resort. The staffer made it sound like it was difficult to get to and made it sound unappealing. Glad we didn't take her perspective. It was a quick trip and easy to get to and something I am glad we didn't miss!

Room Tip: Avoid the back house away from the main building.
1  Thank Diana L
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed in this hotel last week during our first trip to Bruges. We have travelled quite a bit around Europe and stayed in some lovely 5 star hotels (through some great online deals I should say!) We absolutely loved this hotel which was total luxury. We were allocated room 242 which is on the second floor at the front of the hotel overlooking the canal. We had a lovely big four poster bed with the softest pillows ever! Some of the reviews say that the rooms at the front are quite noisy but i did not find this to be the case and slept so well every night. I know some of the reviews also talk about rooms at the back of the hotel off the car park but thankfully we had this lovely room at the front and would highly recommend It! The shower was really powerful and hot (although you can set it according to your own preference). Breakfast was lovely and in the most romantic room at the front of the hotel, albeit a little cramped at busy periods and on one occasion we had to wait for 5 mins or so in the bar area. The lady that works in the breakfast room (I never actually caught her name) was so so friendly and remembered our room number and tea /coffee preference the 5 mornings we went for breakfast. Although I could not warrant €25 per person for this particular breakfast (breakfast was included in the deal we got online). The only other very small criticism i have about this hotel is that there was no tea/coffee making facilities in the bedroom but there are tearooms etc so close by it hardly matters. I would highly recommend this hotel and in fact my parents booked 5 nights in it next month on foot of my recommendation. The location of the hotel is excellent and you are so close to everything. Staff are very very friendly and helpful and the tv room and bar are really lovely areas to relax in. I would book this hotel again when (and not if!) I go back to Bruges.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the front of the hotel overlooking the canal with a four poster bed! Luxury!
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This hotel was perfect for a relaxing short break to Bruges. The building is full of character and provided a calm, luxurious base for exploring the fascinating city of Bruges. Location is perfect, adjacent to an attractive canal and within comfortable walking distance of the main market square, several museums, a variety of good restaurants and all the sites you are likely to want to explore.
Breakfast was excellent! The best I have experienced on the continent - an amazing variety of hot and cold dishes, with service until 11.30am.
Bedroom and bathroom - very comfortable, with everything you would expect from a 4 star hotel (no tea and coffee, but these are available from the bar).
Service was excellent at all times - prompt and quietly efficient with friendly and helpful staff.
If I return to Bruges I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Having read mixed reviews from others we didn't know what to expect, but were very pleasantly surprised. For us the location was perfect and our room was peaceful, comfortable, clean and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was great too. The hotel staff were so helpful and seemed to have lots of information to offer. As mentioned by another reviewer - the breakfasts are well worth paying for - we had them included in our holiday price so didn't have to think about the cost when we were there. Some Japanese tourists were taking photos of what was on offer! We went without lunch each day as the breakfast kept us going. We would definitely go back to this hotel and highly recommend it.

1  Thank Jane D