“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #28 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Bruges
England
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Really great atmosphere here!

Pool tables in the back ,helpful staff, well stocked bar (lots of choices of different beers) and amazingly close to the centre.

The room wasn't huge but we literally only slept there. As with all hostels, you're not staying there for the room your staying to meet people and have a good time.

2 big tips for your stay:

Make sure you book yourself on to a free "In Bruges" tour. You don't have to have seen the film (I hadn't and most of our group hadn't either!! - In fact only 3 had) It's ran by Kai, a guy from Brooklyn who moved to Bruges and has set up his own business doing tours. It's free but tips are appreciated. It's great. He tells you the cheap but great places to eat, drink and buy gifts. He sorted us out with deals on restaurants which we used and they were great too. Plus he's funny, we had an amazing time on the tour and got to know a few people in our hostel during in it.

Second tip - go to the takeaway across the road from the hostel for a Kip Burger...amazing. The guy has the world record for frying chips.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2011

It's important to say first that there are NO LOCKERS in the rooms, and no facility for staff to keep valuables on your behalf. Staff were polite to us, however, observed them being very rude to other guests. We stayed in a 10 bed dorm.

Other than this, there were not enough keys for every guest to have one, so you need to leave keys at the bar when you go out, and when you're in the room you need to leave the door unlocked so others can get in through the night. Being that there is nowhere for valuables this feels pretty unsafe security-wise.

We stayed in 6 bed dorm that had one private toilet and shower but with no locking doors, so anyone could walk in anytime and immediately see you in the shower. The button for the shower had to be held in at all times or water would turn off, which was very awkward.

There was no windows in our room, instead the roof had a sheet of plastic propped up with wood. This meant that when it was cold the wind rushed through, and because it was raining the room was full of mosquitoes for two of the nights we were there.
We came back to the room one afternoon and our belongings had been moved by staff who didn't know who was staying in the room - there was noone keeping track of who was coming and going.

The sign at the hostel says there is a 4am curfew (however I didn't stay out this late so I don't know if it is still in effect).

No internet access in our room but free WiFi available downstairs at the bar. Only one powerpoint in the room (10 bed dorm).

Great location, only about 2 - 5 min from Burg and Markt Squares.

Breakfast is available for 3EUR a day.

Overall, would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank silvericemaiden

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Charlie Rockets is always a great place to stay, the location is unbeatable, you have a bar on site, the staff is great. We stayed in a private room which is on the top floor away from the bar noise which was nice. Be warned that some of the dorms are right off the bar and not the quietest. All in all though this is where you want to stay, free breakfast and great wifi.

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 July 2011

First thing everyone should know is that this hostel is located on top of a pub. Therefore any reviews that complain about noise should be disregarded - it's a pub, not a library!
Having said that, I had no problems sleeping despite the noise, but maybe that's because I'm used to tuning out unwanted noise when sleep is needed.

Location is very good, within walking distance of the square and other main attractions. The hostel is also situated opposite a rather expensive-looking hotel, there's no problem going home late at night as there will always be people on the streets or nearby to make you feel safe.

Cleanliness is at par with typical hostels. Showers and toilets are a bit small but adequate. Rooms are relatively clean but there is not much space to move around especially if you have big backpacks on the floor. Hardly any restaurants nearby (unless you enjoy pub food) but that shouldn't be an issue with the square being only a 5-10 minute walk away (plenty of restaurants in that area).

Security may be an issue, as they only have a couple of keys for each room and is a problem if you have many different groups staying in the same room. Upon leaving the room you are expected to leave the key at the bar/reception, so practically anyone can come up to the bar saying they need the keys to the room and not be questioned, so I'd say it would be the individual's responsibility to take care of belongings and not leave any valubles around. Not sure if lockers were available but I didn't see any.

Overall, satisfactory for the price you pay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Not terribly difficult to find, but it's basically a bar with a hostel upstairs. It's not top-notch or anything, but I didn't find anything seriously wrong with the room.
A strong suggestion I have is to be friendly with your roommates, since there are only two keys to a room that you have to leave at the front desk when you go out. I was lucky that I was rooming with four friendly Australians who invited me to hang out, and I'm glad they did.
Another thing I noticed about the hostel is that they didn't seem to have a lot of posted rules, such as "bring your sheets back to reception at checkout," which was a little strange, but I figured they take care of it.
Also, if you're bringing anything really valuable and have to put your bags in storage, keep in mind that the "luggage room" is just the old theater in the back behind the pool room and it looked a lot like the Room of Hidden Things from Harry Potter. From what I can remember, there was no lock on the door, so carry anything important with you.
If you're just looking for a cheap place to rest your head and you're as laid-back as I am, you'll be alright at this hostel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Graz, Austria
Reviewed 9 January 2011

At first glance, you'd have no idea Charlie Rocket's is a hostel. It's definitely a bar first off! You have to check in at the bar, which isn't really a problem.

My friend and I stayed in a dorm with four other people. The biggest problem was the fact that we were three different groups, yet there were only two keys to the room. One of the groups would leave and not turn the key in, so if they weren't back when we were, we'd have to sit and wait at the bar.

Not that that was a huge problem, considering the bar was great! Pool tables weren't too expensive, and drinks were also decently priced. Great for solo travelers... very easy to meet people.

The shower in our dorm didn't work well at all (it kept turning off), but the ones in the hall were fine. I'd definitely return to this hostel!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Pollenca, Spain
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Do yourself a favour and pay a little extra and go somewhere else! I've stayed in many hostels over the year as a traveller and this is by far the worst. There was only one key for each room which meant that for the entire two days we were in Bruges, our dorm room remained unlocked as no one knew where the key was or who had it. Poor service as the staff also work in the bar downstairs (I think this would have contributed to the key problem as you were supposed to leave the key at reception each time you left the room but of course if no one is at the reception....) Horrible showers - after 10 seconds they turn off automatically. Basically, we felt unsafe during our stay, luckily we had minimal belongings as it was just an overnight stay but if you are travelling with a suitcase or larger backpack, I would stay somewhere else if you wanted to keep your belongings! I even felt I had to lock my bag to the bed which is something I've never had to do before in a hostel. Only good point was the location - about a 2 min walk to the main market square and it's quite easy to find from the train station.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends