“Beautiful Renovations”

Lybeer Travellers Hostel
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful Renovations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Apparently, this hostel has been under renovation for some time. While they aren't quite finished, let me say, the new parts are amazing. some of the nicest facilities I've had during my few months of travel. they appear to be close to finishing up, and i'm sure everything will end up as nice as the rooms. and everyone was so nice. if I come back to brugge, i will definitely be staying here again!

oh, and they hooked us up with free tours and a beer tasting. while through another company, both events happened right in our own hostel. great!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed in a 4-person dorm at Lybeer in October. The room was sparse, with a sink and 4-person bunk bed and nothing else - all belongings go on the floor or on your bed. The workers wins the award for Worst Staff Ever...one night we were hanging out in the lounge/bar (coolest part about this hostel) and a solo girl came in late at night. The night employee was sitting on the couch playing with his iPad and didn't bat an eyelash, even when he heard her ask where she should check in. We told her that she needed to talk to him and when she approached him, he grumbled something about having just sat down and waited for several MINUTES, while she stood there awkwardly and watched him.

The location is great, but then Bruges is pretty small so most locations are great. The showers were temperamental and the bathrooms could have been, but it's a hostel. It was pretty quiet at night due to the 11 pm lounge closing time and I felt safe, but overall I think I could have found a better hostel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kirsten M
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Me and a group of friends stayed here for one night on our recent trip to Bruges. Initially we were looking for a hotel, but many of the good options had a two night minimum stay during December. The hostel was well located for everything in Bruges including the train station which was a short walk away. It was in the middle of being renovated when we stayed, but that wasn't too much of an issue. Also I was awoken in the night but some very drunk fellow Brits returning from a night on the Belgian beers, but considering I live in the middle of East London, this wasn't anything particularly unusual for me!If you're looking to save some pennies and you have a group of you travelling together this is a pretty good option, i'd consider it again, which says something because i thought my hostel days were over.

Room Tip: As four of us were travelling together we got a four bed dorm with an en suite
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thuin, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I went to this hostel last month and I had a great stay. The rooms are very clean, there's no excessive noise, the showers are no longer in renovation as I read before going.
The rooms have a unique style. Wi-fi is free, both in common and private rooms. My only "complaint" is that it's quite hard to find a staff member during the day in case you have a problem.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Maybe we just got the only bad room in the building but our room was the size of a shoebox! Your luggage bag could hardly fit inbetween the two bunks in our room.
if you are booking a 4 bed dorm, ask that they do not put you in room 9!

Do not bother trying to have a shower in the morning as there is rarely any hot water. Shower at night!

Breakfast is an additional 4EUR and consists of coffee, tea, cereal, bread, spreads, cheese and ham.

Towels are free to use. Common room area is quite cool. Shame they kick everyone out of it at 11pm. Good place for the solo traveler.

Staff could do with a smile on their faces! Wifi is temperamental. Location is wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask that they not put you in room 9. It's tiny!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I really am amazed to see what the new owners have done to the place! I first stayed here 3 years ago (before the renovations) and doubted I would ever go back. All rooms have been renovated in great style and to a high standard in design and materials. Only the common areas need to be upgraded a little bit, but I am sure that is just a matter of time. I had a nice chat with one of the owners and they advised me too take the pub tour (I was traveling alone). I met a lot of great people during my stay here. Breakfast is what it promises. Wi-fi is free and great and there are 2 computers to uses in the common room as well. I would definately recommend this hostel and will be back again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I was aware before my arrival that renovations were underway, as the website said they were due to be completed this summer, but there is still a great deal of work being carried out. I had requested a single room, on the top (3rd floor) rather than a dorm. There are still some dorms being refurbed on that floor, as they are working from the top down. Upside was I was next to the showers and toilet. Staircase was narrow and steep, but it is an old building after all! Room was comfortable, and had own sink. However, it did look out onto the fire escape which I discovered the workmen were using, often til 9pm! I therefore had to use a scarf to cover the window. Wi-fi is free, and covers the whole building. My only real complaint is that it is hard to find a staff member most of the time! When I arrived at around 6:30pm, the sign at main desk said go to office through the common room, but office door was locked and no sign of staff, eventually someone appeared after about 20 mins so I could check in. You have to pay a €10 refundable deposit when you arrive, which was not mentioned at all at time of booking. Breakfast is €4, for usual selection of bread, meat, jam, cereal, tea and coffee. I would recommend you go to the nearby Hema department store, where breakfast is €1 for an omelette baguette, croissant with jam, and tea or coffee. You can add juice for 50c and bacon for 25c. It opens at 9am, and gets busy with all the locals, so get there early! I would recommend Lybeer, and think it will look great once renovations are completed.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo