“wonderful find in Bruges”

Oud Huis de Peellaert
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had reservations at the Crowne Plaza (a little "up the street" from this property).. but our rooms were not ready and we were tired so as we roamed around a bit, we found this hotel.
We made the move and were glad we did. There is a sauna, steam room downstairs that is so peaceful... we loved our stay so much we extended two additional nights. The rooms are small as I recall... we did this trip several years ago.. and, they are a bit dark.. but the atmosphere is so nice that the other amenities I generally look for in a hotel did not matter.
In fact, we have been trying to use our air line miles for over a year so that we could get back to this wonderful little hotel and town. Loved our stay!

Room Tip: Our stay at this hotel was probably five years or so ago.. the choices above did not go that far bac...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Oud Huis de Peellaert

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Stayed at this hotel immediately prior to Christmas with my husband - we had booked through great escapes at an very fair price and were looking for something a little different as it was a wedding gift for our son and daughter in law and a chance to get to know the lady better.

On arrival the hotel surpassed our expectation. Rooms were comfortable and a good size - we were in a small annexe area at the rear of the hotel and this ensured no disturbance from the street.

The breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful. The wellness room was well maintained and offered sauna and steam room as promised a hot tub / jacuzzi would have been the icing on the cake!

Only thing that concerned us slightly was to find that our passport (retained as security for the bathrobes for the wellness centre) had been just dropped in an unlocked drawer during our stay which we didn't find too agreeable - just a small disappointment in an otherwise great stay

Despite the fact that at advertised price this would be well above what we would spend normally for a hotel we would definitely consider it if returning to Brugge and would certainly book again through a deal such as Great Escapes

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the 'annexe' at the back - it feels strange as you have to walk out th...
Reviewed 8 January 2014

'The high ceilings in the ’Deluxe’ and ’Executive’ rooms, and the historical features in the Junior Suite, provide an additional dimension.' - Oud Huis de Peellaert website

It most certainly added another dimension, this is true. Our room was the size of a postage stamp, but with high ceilings, giving it less of a dungeon feel and more like an oubliette.

As for the service, The Oud Huis de Peellaert website states....'Care for our guests is translated down to the tiniest details.'

I'm really not sure what their idea of 'the tiniest details' is but I'm pretty sure it does not include a molding shower curtain and bits of the toilet fixtures coming off the wall. The lighting was atrocious as well. Throughout the hotel , there was a distinct lack of attention to detail. When we arrived before check in time, we were asked to leave our bags in an unlocked, unsupervised holding area, where any guest or person walking in off the street could have a good rummage through. When it came time to check in, we were disappointed to find that there is no porter....at all....ever....in a 4 star hotel........

At breakfast, guests were provided with a toaster that did not toast bread and a hot plate of bacon that looked like something out of a slasher film. I wouldn't have fed it to my dog. We had to wait until we were nearly finished with our 'breakfast' before we were offered a coffee or tea.

After a long day of exploring Bruges, we thought it would be nice to relax in the wellness centre. It was a nice little set up in the 500 year old cellars of the hotel. It was nicely done and comfortable. Again, the lack of attention to detail was apparent. The floor in the steam sauna was dirty and the water cooler was empty as well as the cup dispenser. Robes are provided but no slippers of any kind.

In the evening, we decided to try our luck at the bar. The atmosphere was comfortable and the furniture luxurious. The bar was well stocked and we were served a selection of salty snacks in a lovely silver tray. We were served immediately, but not by the bartender. The front desk had to leave his post to serve us which he did as best he could but was clearly untrained. He left immediately to get back to the front desk and must have fallen into a tear in the space time continuum, as we never saw him again. I guess I didn't want that second drink anyway.

'We provide you with a wide range of relaxing bath products from “L’Occitane ", and all rooms are equipped with free wireless internet, air conditioning and tea and coffee making facilities.' - Oud Huis de Peellaert website

They do provide all of the amenities stated above. Interesting, they did not say anything about heating. It was freezing in our room and the supposed temperature control was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard.

In conclusion, the staff was helpful when forced to be, but did not extend any greetings or well wishes upon our arrival or when we departed. My husband's passport was nearly left behind when we left it as a deposit for a GB to EU adaptor. I am well aware of our responsibility for our own documents, but the staff in a 4 star hotel should remember they have a guests passport behind the desk. There were only two staff present in the hotel so it should not have been difficult to pass on the information to the night staff.......Oh wait! There were no night staff present. I guess we should thank your lucky stars there wasn't a fire or something equally dire.

Overall it seemed as though the hotel had been abandoned by any semblance of management and left completely to the children to run. It is a 3 star hotel with the prices of a 4 star.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shandra W
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Lovely hotel, excellent staff who were very helpful on the front desk. Location is fantastic, short walk to everything you need. Nice room, a little on small side but excellent bathroom and facilities. Nice little bar area to relax and the breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel if you dont want noise from the hostel, which wasnt too bad but noticeable.
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We love are annual overnight stay in the beautiful city of Brugge to break up our car journey from staying with family for the new year in Germany before heading back to the UK. I choose a different hotel on this occasion instead of the lovley modern hotel we normallt stay in as was tempted by the luxurious old style photos of this hotel & the rooms plus knowing the location of this hotel near to the market square & beer house we like to visit. We stayed in room 207 on the 2nd floor for 1 night on the 2nd Jan & was looking forward to a good nights sleep in a big comfy bed following our long journey. This was not to be as i was woken up before midnight by loud, rowdy, drunken youths shouting, screaming & yelling their heads off from the a YHA bar & rooms opposite the hotel & underneath our window called "Johnny Rockets". I was kept awake until extreme tiredness took hold at 3amish with the party still going on. The room had some sort out of inadequate secondary glazing that did not help the noise levels from people having a cigarette outside the bar or even the noise inside the bar. I did ring down to reception at 1am to ask what time this bar closes. I was informed when the last person leaves the bar! I asked for another room, at the back of the hotel, but was I formed fully booked. Do not get me wrong i am happy for people having a good time & don't blame then but i do blame the hotel. I am sure i am not the only person to complain about the noise level & really do 't know how anyone could sleep in that room in the summer when you would need the windows open! The hotel should fit some sort of sound proofing to ensure their customers get what they pay for a good, solid & unbroken nights sleep. When I mentioned all this upon check out & told them I did not expect to pay the full price for a terrible nights sleep was informed little they could of done or do. My response & promise is that I will therefore take my annual bookings & those of my extended families back to out usual hotel.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie-Ann70
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed here for four nights over new year. Have stayed in three other quality Bruges hotels previously and this one has the edge. Had rooms 2 and 3 for ourselves and our daughter and partner. Roomy, good size bathroom and QUIET at the rear of the hotel. Good quality extras. Rooms cleaned really well, breakfast staff a delight and reception very helpful.
My wife and daughter had massages in the fitness area and said they were fantastic. Gym small but had everything one needs, sauna etcetc.
Breakfasts excellent in lovely modern orangerie room. Lounge areas beautiful and comfortable, very relaxing.
Location one of the best aspects, perfect for all major tourist sites. Limited parking (5/6) spots BUT underground staffed car park five minutes walk away next to the Park restaurant E8.70 per 24 hours!!
Carpet in room 3 a little stained but not a big issue. Will return and would recommend unreservedly.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel from 27-30 dec. the hotel looks very nice in the photos and the hotel lived up to the pictures. The room, on the third floor, was nice and quiet and was very pleasant. It is a shame that we were given a twin when we booked a double but other reviewers suggest that all rooms are twin so we didn't bother to request a change. In any event the beds were very comfortable. The hotel is extremely well located just a two min walk to the burg, and then the markt. The hotel staff were ok. The breakfast was very good. There is a lot of choice and the dining room is really light and airy. I would certainly return to bruges and would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again, but would probably just make sure I reserved a room on the third floor given what other reviewers have said about the ground floor rooms.

1  Thank LondonLoopo