“Stay away if you want a romantic getaway”

Oud Huis de Peellaert
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights in Jan 2010 to celebrate my birthday over a weekend. We requested a double bed and they confirmed this in our booking by email. When we arrived, we discovered they had put two single beds together with separate quilts. I slept very badly with the big crack down the middle of the bed and the separate quilt covers letting in the cold air. When we asked them about this, they responded that they do not have double beds. This is not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. You can get double beds even in hostels or 3 star hotels and they should have said something before we booked the room given that we were very clear with our requirement. For the second night, they attempted to fix things by giving us one double bed quilt cover (so it wouldn't end up on the floor). I asked for a discount given the inconvenience and the fact that this was for a special occasion but they refused. On this basis, the service was very poor. The service level is illustrated the most when something goes wrong and they refused to give us a discount when they didn't provide what we had booked. The room was very clean which is essential on my list of requirements for a hotel. The breakfast was very good but there was no room service which I found odd for a 4 star hotel. One other complaint is the lack of security. They give room keys to anyone without checking ID and they told us to leave our luggage (with no ticket) in a room where anyone could have taken the bag away. If you are travelling with a friend or family member or partner and you are happy sleeping in individual beds -go there, if you want a romantic getaway - stay away! I think it is set up for huge tours of people sleeping in separate beds.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 December 2009

ı and my wife we stayed 2 nights 24and 25th of dec.reception is quick and friendly,helpfull,bed is the most comfortable ı have slept .location is great breakfast is definitly over the average ,and lobby has very good atmosfere we normally donot prefer to sit at lobbies bu in this hotel we had coffee twicw and read our books at lobby instead of room.2 points ı would like to critise that one is we were expecting a slippers in the room but not existed.seconly our room was looking old.ı believe because of the old carpetsiwhich gives and impression that not vacuumed everyday bit had lost colour brightness,and same condition was valid for the bed covers.but overall good hotel and ı can stay next time again.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2009

The Oud Huis de Peellaert is very well located only a short distance from the Markt. There are lots of restaurants nearby. The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke excellent English. My room was in a corner on the third floor and was spacious and very comfortable. The bathroom, too was spacious. With one exception, the rooms were spotless.

The breakfast was really good and I found that it opened a little before the stated time of 8AM. The free wireless internet was a nice feature. Secure parking is available for 20 Euro per day. However, the number of spaces is limited so it may be worthwhile to let them know when you book that you will be parking a car in the garage. Driving to the hotel can be tricky with the number of one way streets, but I found Google maps to give accurate driving directions.

The only downside was that the toilet was not as clean as it could have been from the prior guests. That was disappointing considering the high standard throughout the rest of the hotel.

Overall, the Oud Huis de Peellaert is an excellent choice when staying in Bruges. I would not hesitate to stay in the Oud Huis de Peellaert again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2009

We joined friends at this hotel for their Ruby Wedding Anniversary. The service was excellent in all areas particularly at the reception desk and in the wonderful breakfast room.
The rooms were very comfortable and welcoming as well as beautifully clean.
Reception staff recommended three excellent restaurants for us to try during our 3 night stay and we all returned home saying This is a hotel to be visited again

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 November 2009

What an excellent hotel! A smashing room and bathroom, quality decorations, lovely staff, a great breakfast room and breakfast, relaxing lounges. Difficult to imagine how it could be better without doubling the price. We would certainly return again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We really liked this hotel in the centre of Bruges. Traditional Flemish architecture, very clean and well managed with attentive service. Breakfasts were very good. We had a room on the front over the street and I know that some reviewers have complained about the noise from the youth hostel opposite bit this was not a problem for us. The only noise was from the early morning traffic; probably our fault for having the window open.

They don't serve dinner in the evening and most guests turn left out of the hotel and head for the tourist areas near the Belfry. I would recommend turning right and seeking out some of the restaurants near the canal. They seemed to be better quality than the tourist traps and probably not that much more expensive.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2009

My husband and I stayed here last week for a 3 day half term break with our 5 children ages ranging from 16 to 2 years old. We had two large bedrooms, two double beds (in fact two singles pushed together) and two bed settees. The hotel was very pleasant and I have to agree with all the other reviews I read on this site prior to our visit with regard to position, cleanliness, helpful staff, etc all of which were excellent. The breakfast was very good, self service buffet which our teenage boys made full use of! My only criticism - well my boys' criticism, would be the ensuite bathrooms which do not have locks on at all and a misted door with clear writing on the top of the door which you can see through. This caused great problems amongst our teenage boys and 10 year old daughter! Apart from this, the bathrooms were lovely although there was no fan in them and so misted up very quickly. We had a look at the gym in the basement but this was rather disappointing having only 4 pieces of equipment in and the sauna you had to pay for. Downside would be the parking, we had to unload outside the hotel and then my husband had to drive outside city walls to park the car and walk back, took about 15 minutes. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family