“Excellent 4 star, great location, nearly gets full marks”

Oud Huis de Peellaert
Ranked #23 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Clonmel, Ireland
“Excellent 4 star, great location, nearly gets full marks”
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Just come back from a 3 night stay in this lovely hotel. I normally book hotels based on the reviews in Tripadvisor, and I have to say that all the positive comments are correct and well deserved.

Location:
Very central in Brugge and about a 5-7 minute walk from the main Market Square, to the left of the hotel. To the right and around the back of the hotel, and again about a 5-7 minute walk will bring you to the canals where you can get the canal cruise. The hotel is not specifically on a canal, but I'm sure if it was, the rates would probably double in price. To walk from the train station to the hotel would be a good 20-30 minute walk, and depending on how fit your are and how much luggage you have, I would recommend getting a taxi from just outside the train station. Expect to pay €7-10.
As the hotel is on a busy road, during the Summer, with windows open and in a front facing facing you may experience some traffic noise, but how much time will you be in your room??

Room:
Spotless, big for an older building, tasteful with plush decoration yet up to date technology. Tall 12 ft high ceilings and original cornicing. Yes the bed was 2 singles put together, but don't you get that in most hotels in Europe these days????? We had a double duvet and that made is feel like a normal double/queen bed. The ensuite was huge, with a big bath and a seperate shower. My only complaint in the ensuite was the toliet........ It must have been a tall man who fitted this because the toilet was so high that neither myself or my Fiance could sit on it and put our feet on the floor !!!!! A previous member commented on the Hostel accross the road and while we had a front facing room and we could litterally look into the dorms, it was not a problem for us as the windows were closed most of the time.

Breakfast:
Perfect, no complaints at all - all you could want from a breakfast.

Staff:
Exceptional - friendly, helpful and professional. We had checked out and left our bags at the hotel whilst we finished our sightseeing. We had left a cable for a digital camera in the room, but also some fresh homemade chocolates that we bought and totally forgot about both. The cleaning lady found both and kept for us for when we came back to collect our bags...these small things make a nice hotel and great hotel.

All in all, wonderful stay in the hotel, would recommend it to everyone and would have no problem staying there myself again.

The manager should be proud of his staff and should congratulate them on a job well done.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissPiggy73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Wantage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2010

We visited this hotel for my wifes 'special birthday' as we had read such great reviews. We have stayed in Bruges a few times and love it there, this hotel was slightly away from the Market but, to be honest, that was a blessing - you didn't get to hear the 'clip clop' of horses hooves first thing every morning!
The hotel is about two minutes walk from the central square, the rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious, with decent facilities such as a mini bar (in a fridge) and flat screen tv - plus FREE wi-fi that works! The safe in the room is also free, as are the generous amount of L'Occitaine products, which are normally jolly expensive. The bathroom was marble and mirrors, great shower and a massive bath - took half an hour to run the darn thing! The beds are the normal twins pushed together, this was okay as each bed was a decent size, so you could 'cuddle up' if you wanted to. No compalints on the room at all.
The breakfast is excellent, a vast choice of meats / cheese / yoghurts / salmon / scrambled eggs / bacon / sausages, etc. Proper toaster to toast your own bread, with another vast array of condiments! Fresh coffee in heavy ornate jugs, with fresh milk or cream available. Plenty of fresh orange juice, croissants, etc.; this is a good breakfast. We tended to stuff ourselves a bit at breakfast and then forget about lunch, we really didn't need it.
The hotel itself is spotless, with hanging chandeliers and expensive furniture, with a 'happy hour' in the evenings. We brought our own wine and used the fridge to cool it down each day, the maids never mentioned it.
The parking is expensive, at €20 per night, but then space is at a premium in Bruges. You could park in a public car park for a lot less, but then your car is not in the safety of their 'sealed' parking. Only five spaces, so I am pleased we booked this. The car was quite happy sitting there whilst we enjoyed Bruges - without some local 'yoofs' trying to have a go at my British car. We took a look at the parking rates in the centre; this was at €4.00 per 2 hours, so I guess the hotel was relatively cheap!
I could go on about Bruges for hours - we had a lovely time there and will go back again - this was our fifth time! This hotel was the nicest we have stayed in and I would recommend it fully, it is slightly more expensive than some but, quite frankly, you get what you pay for. On that basis, this was excellent value.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike P
United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2010

Just a quick drop in following our visit to Brugge during the last weekend of Feb. This is a fantastic hotel, nice and clean rooms, exceptional staff and service, 2 minutes walk from the market square, a beautiful lobby/bar area with bags of character. Breakfast was very nice too. You really cannot go wrong with this hotel. Also the wellness centre was very nice and refreshing after long hours walking in Brugge. We paid 105 euros per night with breakfast and thought this was reasonable. Also there is wifi throughout the hotel, along with several multilingual television channels including BBC 1 (which helps as I managed to catch the football on saturday night! )A definite thumbs up and highly recommended. Brugge is also a very nice place to visit. Apologies if I have missed anything.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Lincoln
Reviewed 9 February 2010

The hotel is five minutes walk from the Market Square and equally handy for various bars and restaurants. The foyer and bar are well appointed and the generous & inclusive breakfast buffet is a great bonus. The rooms are adequate for the class, my only niggle being the somewhat noisy ventilation which can't be turned off. What makes this hotel special was the exceptionally helpful, friendly and multi-lingual staff. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Oud Huis de Peellaert for two nights in mid January. Having booked through their own website and secured the room at half price (90 euro p/n) I was unsure as to what to expect. Whilst they have had some pretty fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor - their website did not seem to reflect this implied quality.

What can I say though - I am glad I stuck with them because nearly every other review on here is spot on. The hotel is situated in an old (perhaps 18th century) townhouse and still exudes old world luxury and charm. The delightfully positioned front desk sits behind modern glass doors, and with elegant staircases running up either wing - the hotel definitely lives up to it's 4 star billing.

The reception staff were fantastically helpful. We had forgotten to pack a UK plug adapter and were dreading having to waste money splashing out on a replacement. However one quick run down to the front desk later - we were soon in possession of a borrowed adapter. We also relied on the staff for recommendations for restaurants, chocolatiers and shops - they were always willing to assist and helped us find some real gems.

As with most European hotels (something some reviewers do not seem to realise), the de Peellaert uses two single beds pushed together to make doubles. Whilst this can be a tad inconvenient, it is now pretty standard in Europe and as such my partner and I were used to the situation. The room we had was a little bit cramped but the high quality of the finish and smartness of the bathroom (glass doors and all) more than made up for it.

The thing that really topped this hotel off for us though was the quality (and scale!) of the breakfasts. Bacon, sausages and scrambled eggs lead into pastries, croissants, fresh fruit and coffee. The waiting staff at breakfast were continually attentive and helpful also.

If you are planning a romantic get away to Bruges, the de Peellaert will certainly impress you and your other half. As a final note, I could not recommend going to Bruges in mid January (on weekdays) a more highly. Deserted streets and frozen canals were a trulling inspiring delight.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2010

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights in Jan 2010 to celebrate my birthday over a weekend. We requested a double bed and they confirmed this in our booking by email. When we arrived, we discovered they had put two single beds together with separate quilts. I slept very badly with the big crack down the middle of the bed and the separate quilt covers letting in the cold air. When we asked them about this, they responded that they do not have double beds. This is not what you expect from a 4 star hotel. You can get double beds even in hostels or 3 star hotels and they should have said something before we booked the room given that we were very clear with our requirement. For the second night, they attempted to fix things by giving us one double bed quilt cover (so it wouldn't end up on the floor). I asked for a discount given the inconvenience and the fact that this was for a special occasion but they refused. On this basis, the service was very poor. The service level is illustrated the most when something goes wrong and they refused to give us a discount when they didn't provide what we had booked. The room was very clean which is essential on my list of requirements for a hotel. The breakfast was very good but there was no room service which I found odd for a 4 star hotel. One other complaint is the lack of security. They give room keys to anyone without checking ID and they told us to leave our luggage (with no ticket) in a room where anyone could have taken the bag away. If you are travelling with a friend or family member or partner and you are happy sleeping in individual beds -go there, if you want a romantic getaway - stay away! I think it is set up for huge tours of people sleeping in separate beds.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
istanbul
Reviewed 30 December 2009

ı and my wife we stayed 2 nights 24and 25th of dec.reception is quick and friendly,helpfull,bed is the most comfortable ı have slept .location is great breakfast is definitly over the average ,and lobby has very good atmosfere we normally donot prefer to sit at lobbies bu in this hotel we had coffee twicw and read our books at lobby instead of room.2 points ı would like to critise that one is we were expecting a slippers in the room but not existed.seconly our room was looking old.ı believe because of the old carpetsiwhich gives and impression that not vacuumed everyday bit had lost colour brightness,and same condition was valid for the bed covers.but overall good hotel and ı can stay next time again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple