“Nice hotel but with problems”

Oud Huis de Peellaert
Ranked #18 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 23 February 2011

The hotel looks nice, clean, has a full breakfast that is pretty darn good. However, I will not return to this hotel because I had too many problems that just never got resolved:

(1) A big reason I came to this hotel was because of the FREE wireless internet available from my room. Well, upon trying it the connection never worked from either my laptop or phone. I spoke to them and they believed it was fine and that I should bring my laptop down to help me to connect. I am a long-time software engineer and know what I am talking about but I kept open-minded. Eventually, I had to prove to them that the internet was not working at all. They had an alternative but only available from the lobby - not what I originally wanted. They tried to reset the internet but that did not work, so the woman said she will speak to management about this. Ok fine so far and can happen anywhere. However, the next morning I spoke to a new person behind the desk and she had no idea about the wireless issue and again believed everything was fine. Again, I had to show that it was not working and again she tried to reset the internet for me and again it failed and again she said she would mention it to management. Believe it or not, the whole thing repeated again in the afternoon. No knowledge of the issue, tried to reset, etc, etc. I was quite frustrated. I explained that this was my big reason for coming to this hotel but they did not offer much of an alternative nor did they offer me anything - like a free drink or perhaps something along the lines of a discount on my room or something. I tried to emphasize the importance but it went no where. Not sure if this is a cultural thing or perhaps they are instructed not to do this for customers. However, I believe a small gesture goes a long way especially in this economy and the hotel business.

(2) The hotel room had problems. The bathroom had a heater that just would never turn off. There was no way to turn it off so the bathroom was always overheated. The shower head was a little faulty.

(3) A small issue but I found strange - the coffee at the breakfast buffet was terrible. It always seemed just warm, not hot, and was NOT good. They also do not serve cappuccinos at all or espressos. This appeared to be a really nice hotel. I was really surprised that with such an amazing breakfast spread, the only coffee option was this pot of coffee which was not at all good.

Well, the wireless never worked - I was there for 3 nights. The room was not ideal, with faults that I explained to the management. Not sure if anything got fixed. The breakfast spread is amazing, and the bathroom products in the room were really nice as well, but these things are not enough to bring me back. There is too much competition in Bruges where I am sure I can find something better.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank riverwad
Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed 22 February 2011

We had a lovely long weekend at the Oud Huis de Peellaert. The location is fine, very close to the main squares. The hotel looks lovely from the outside and inside is also grand with lots of marble and old portaits. We were greated very warmly each time we went to reception. Staff generally were very friendly.
Our room was a good size, not huge but fine for us. It was very clean with great l'occitane toiletries that were replaced daily. The bed was very comfy and the TV had some English and US channels. We were at the front of the hotel; we could hear vehicles go past on the street, but this was not too loud and we did not hear anything from the hostel across the road others mention. We drank in the bar both nights which was lovely and old fashioned, with relaxing piano music.
The breakfast was plentiful, lots of choice, I have not seen better. Overall I thought this hotel was great value for money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zoe025
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We travelled to Bruges for New Years Eve & stayed three days here. The staff were lovely. Initially we were disappointed to be in the annexe, although it was comfortable but on NYE when the noise was out in the street, we were grateful.

It is walkable to all major sites in Bruges.

There is a lovely little spa in the cellar.

Breakfast was good.

All in all a very pleasant stay at this hotel. Our friends met us in Bruges at stayed at another not to be named hotel & thought ours was far superior! Certainly four star quality.

Make sure you do the Flanders Fields Battle trip if in the area; great value, very informative & poignant.

The Italian restaurant across the road was also very good.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Everything was great about this hotel. Beautiful, good breakfast, free wifi and great location. The only thing they didn't warn me about was their checkout process. If you need to need before 7am in the morning, you need to do your checkout the night before (this does not mean you need to leave the hotel), since there is no one at reception after midnight. No worries, security is there. The hotel is very quiet, which is a plus. I loved the bathroom.....a shower and a separate tub!
PS - The key to the room weighs a ton

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2011

Warm and comfortable hotel in perfect location for a short stay. Huge selection of food at breakfast meant we didn't need to have lunch. A little hard to find, a satnav is essential, but parking is available nearby at a very reasonable rate. Our only complaint would be that the rooms at the front can be noisy at night, as people come out of bars and delivery lorries stop in the very narrow road outside.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I visited Bruges with some work colleagues in September and I loved it. It is so beautiful and full of character, a real fairytale town. I had not booked the hotel so I was pleasantly suprised to arrive at this hotel. The hotel is luxuriously decorated and full of charm and character. The room was a good size and nicely furnished. I must have had an inside room as I did not suffer with a sleepless night as a result of the hostel, which was a real relief. The breakfast was lovely and we were even treated to champange! The staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel was also perfectly situated making it a perfect choice for those on a weekend break looking for a quality place to sleep.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 13 January 2011

If a comfortable bed is a priority to you never stay at his hotel. My husband & I booked a double room, we arrived at 11.00 pm after a very long train journey and not until we went to bed did we realise our double bed was 2 single beds pushed together BUT NOT MADE TOGETHER . we had the worst nights sleep of our entire trip because the beds kept sliding apart.
at 8.00 am the next day I requested a new room and was told there were no double beds at all but we could have the beds made up as a double( no-one explained why this hadn't been done before our arrival!!)
we said we would be happy with that but when we returned to the room at 12.30 not only had the bed not been made our room hadn't been touched!
I asked at reception why it had taken more than 4 hours and our rooms had not been attended to and was told "we have a housekeeping timtable".
I asked to speak to the manager and no-one was available until 4.30.
Needless to say we left and within 40 minutes had booked into and were resting in a very comfortable bed at the Crowne Plaza down the street
we tried to get a refund but as is was a"special offer" got nothing but a very steely unapologetic response. The priorities of this hotel are clearly not customer focus

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple