“Very Nice Place to Stay”
Review of Hotel Alegria

Hotel Alegria
Ranked #38 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Very friendly, helpful people manage this bed and breakfast. Bathroom en suite. We stayed in the red room. This bed and breakfast is a very cute, clean, and charming place to stay. The breakfast was great! Lots to choose from including fresh squeezed orange juice and homemade jam. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We would deffinitely visit this bed and breakfast again.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drums4jay

Reviewed 1 December 2008

I booked Alegria because of its close location to the Makt. After I had booked, I read the unhappy reviews of others and was considering cancelling the booking. However, as I was only going to be in Bruges a couple of days, I thought I would just put up with the "rude staff" for the benefit of the good location. I did not find the staff to be rude at all; their manner is a little different to my own culture - but I know rudeness when I encounter it, and that was not the case at the Alegria. The elderly lady was very kind in her straight-forward way. Veronique also was helpful. Breakfast was just fine - fresh juice, a selection of breads and pastries, cold meats, cheese and eggs (fried, scrambled or boiled). The stairs would be a problem with heavy luggage, which thankfully I did not have. I understand that the premises are to be extended and a lift will be installed. I would suggest that a handrail along the wall would be a very helpful addition for the safety of guests, as the stairs are steep and I did ascend and descend with caution. The room was lovely - large bed, nice linen and spotlessley clean. It would be a nice touch to supply tissues and toiletries other than the supermarket brand body wash in the bathroom. I would stay there again and certainly recommed the Alegria to others. I actually wonder how much travel has been undertaken by those who commented negatively as I now see their expectations to be quite unrealistic.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Kpow
Reviewed 16 January 2008

The location of this small B&B can not be beat! It's literally a few minutes walk right into the center of town! Rooms were very clean, and not a bad size for a european B&B. Nicely decorated, though the shower is something straight out of a submarine, very small, very odd little design, but hey, who cares, you're not staying there to hang out in the shower all day! The older lady that runs it isn't the nicest person i've ever met, she could use a couple lessons in politeness, but again, who cares, you're not there to hang out with her all day. The most important info on this B&B is that the location and price can not be beat! If you're driving there you can park in an underground parking garage just around the block, about 4 minutes walk.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bud89
Reviewed 2 October 2007

Great location! Stayed in the Chocolate Room that had a nice view out the back. We walked the city with ease, boated on a canal tour and biked to Damme. A 5 mile easy ride along the paved river trail that took us to the quaint village of Damme. Very fun. Ate at the wonderful and moderately priced Soufleur where locals go out for a special meal. Highly recommend it and the charming Fondue resturant down the street from Alegria. The Flemish stew was great and also the Swiss Fondue. Drink the local Monk made beer with every meal!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pickychick
Reviewed 19 June 2007

The first thing to realise when booking Alegria is that it is a Bed & Breakfast and NOT a hotel so you will not find bottles of expensive toiletries, swimming pools or a gym! Think about an English bed & breakfast establishment and compare it to this one! No comparison!

Secondly you need to bear in mind that it is a family run establishment and English is not their first language so again you must take this into account when making comments about the proprietors attitude! How good is your Flemish?

We have stayed at Alegria on a number of occasions and found the family to be nothing other than friendly and helpful, giving us free lifts to the station, organising golf, booking restaurants etc etc.

The rooms are nicely decorated, breakfast is fine (but not a Marriott style eat all you can buffet) and access to the town centre shops, bars and restuarants is excellent.

I am amazed to see any negative comments about this place - Set your expectations a little lower than a Brugge version of the Hotel de Crillon and you will have a very pleasant stay here!

It will be a lot cheaper too!

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank nickho
Reviewed 17 June 2007

I booked this hotel to stay with the whole family to celebrate a birthday. In general the B&B is quite nice but could be so much better if everything wasn't on the cheap side. A lot of IKEA and very little personal touch to it. Why not have some nice bath stuff in the bathrooms rather than some really cheap 1l bottle of shower gel.
We also booked the 2 car parking spaces and were told on arrival that we could only have one as one other guest needed it more urgent than we... great start.
The biggest reason not to go again would be that everything seemed to annoy the owners and was an absolute nuisance to them (which was also clearly shown) - the term service culture doesn't seem to have registered yet.
Location was brilliant though and very close to everything in town.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank londonchicken
Reviewed 6 June 2007

I am mexican. My mother and I stayed in Alegria for two nights. They made us feel like we were annoying them if we requested anything. I am allergic to cats, and they have one. When I asked, very politely to the old lady if she could take the cat out of the breakfast room she said NO. She barked at me that everyone in Brugge has cats (so I guess I shouldn't go to Brugge again). We were not offered eggs for breakfast and the next day, when we found that we could and asked about it, Veronique, the old lady's daughter said, very harshly again, that we must had been late for breakfast (which we weren't but no point arguing with this lady). One afternoon I asked if I could have some water from a bottle that was on a table and the old lady shouted NOOO. I mean, wouldn't a " this is for tomorrow's breakfast, would you mind getting a drink from the faucet in your room?' Sure madam, I will do that. But no. She is not polite, never smiles and makes you feel very unwelcome. Veronique was more concerned about we not "destroying" her property that if we were having a good time...like with the steep stairs, my mother was having a little hard time getting her carry on size suitcase down the stairs, she felt that she was going to fall down along with the suitcase, and Veronique cried "don't destroy my staircase!!!!". I hope you get the picture.
The place is very central, very clean, very nice, the father is charming but the service is all but Alegria. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family