“Lovely hotel - shame about the room!”

Hotel Bourgoensch Hof
Ranked #53 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel is in an excellent location overlooking one of the most picturesque and photographed spots and features closely in the film "In Bruges".

The dining room overlooks the canal and the Continental breakfast gave great choice and was frequently replenished with fresh meats, cheeses and speciality breads.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the ribboned box of goodies left in our room whilst we were out on New Years Eve together with a signed card from all the staff, was a lovely touch.

However, the room we had was well below par for the price we paid. Although the room and the bathroom were large, they were very dimly lit and light bulbs were missing. There was no hook for the shower spray in the bath and the glass panel was broken which made it very difficult to have either a shower or bath. The dressing table was made from a type of blockboard which had been stained by previous occupants, likewise was the bed cover on the spare bed. Although the bed was large, the bedding was in two halves which we thought slightly strange.

We would have rated the Hotel much higher, had it not been for the poor room we were given.

Room Tip: There are rooms overlooking the canal.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazel M

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Tucked away down an alleyway between the Erasmus restaurant and "another" ..ahem.! shop.. you can find this splendid hotel that overlooks one of the many canals in Brugge..this particular view is well worth a look..a well run hotel that is now joined with the Erasmus restaurant..a selection of breads and cereals, cheese and smoked ham fruit and jams awaits for breakfast...very quiet hotel with comfy rooms...what's more it's an ideal location for the Markt, Burg and more...

Room Tip: Room 27...!
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Used this hotel as an overnight stay when visiting Bruges over Christmas and had a lovely stay with my parents, brother and boyfriend! The hotel has the perfect location without charging a huge price tag; it's in the heart of Bruges, just a walk away from the Belfry and the canal, and we could see the Cathedral from our bedroom window! The room was clean and tidy and despite winter, it was also fairly warm. We had a bathroom and toilet which were separate, which I thought was a nice idea. We had breakfast overlooking the canal, which was beautiful, though there was not much choice available in the buffet so this is something that needs improving. I would definitely stay here again and I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Spent a couple of days over the Christmas break in Bruges.We have visited the city many times , however we chose this hotel because it had single rooms available. The hotel room was clean and tidy - no particularly large but had several nice touches - a fridge ( which if visiting during the summer would have been great for storing BEER! and tea/ coffee making facilities- something that we haven't had before when staying at Martins, Bruges for example. The breakfast room overlooked the canal and had plenty of character. Breakfast itself was buffet style-not a huge variety ,but enough, presented well and fresh. The location , however is great. Minutes from the Main Square and in a lovely picturesque area . It shares the same courtyard/enterence area with the more expensive Bourgoensch Cruyce Would stay there again as it was very good value.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking Wollestraat , and were initially concerned that it may be noisy. It wasn...
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed here for two nights and I totally agree with everyone else who says the location is perfect! A short walk from so many of the lovely things to see and do in Bruges.
We had a really warm welcome at reception and our room was ready before the time we were due to check in. We were given a discount card upon check in and managed to save a few euros on different tours etc.
We had a street view room on the second floor- lovely view over the street and towards the Markt. Never experienced any outside noise through the night!
Breakfast was good- the view of the canal was really nice.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a clean, tidy and quirky place to stay in the centre of Bruges.

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Firstly as other reviewers have commented, the location is excellent. That's why I chose this one, plus the fact it looked lovely and it is. Our room (324) was big enough but the view wasn't remarkable. If you strained your neck to the left, you could just see the canal.

The bathroom was unusual in that it had a frosted glass door that when you opened, banged against the toilet. One day it's going to break!! There's also a loss of privacy because when the light is on you can see the person inside.

As soon as you opened the front door, there's a step which we weren't warned about and as it was dark, we couldn't see it and had a bit of a stumble down.

Another negative was the location of the room, directly opposite the lift. I always feel sorry for people who have these rooms, so now I can empathise.

Breakfast was really nice and as there was only a few people, got a great table overlooking the canal. Food was fresh and plentiful.

One major gripe and this may stop me from returning (I'm going back next year with my sister), was the older gentleman who gave us our key. We had checked in earlier and as the room wasn't ready, we were told to come back after 3pm. We were also given a map, brochure and a 'discount card'.

So, we returned later (after the walking tour) and a really grumpy man asked for our discount card. We couldn't find it and he criticised us for not having it ready as it held 'important information'. Really?? Apparently it told us our room number. Important to whom??

He was very rude and even more so when we told him we had a bag stored. It was as if the effort was all too much. A very uncomfortable experience. We were very glad to see the first man at the desk in the morning.

It was a shame because the hotel location is excellent, room was OK and breakfast very good. Customer service let this hotel down.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I stayed here 1 night, on December 9th. I hadn't booked my hotel in advance, so I walked around Bruges until I found someplace I liked and could afford, as prices are posted outside hotels. I had planned to use the tourist office to find a hotel but they weren't all that helpful.

You just can't beat the location of this hotel, it is right on one of the canals (see photo) and minutes away from the main square/belfry. It proved to be quiet (very important to me) and the room was nice (clean, not huge but not super small either). Exactly what I would want from a hotel in a place where you would spend most of your time out exploring. Breakfast was adequate, included in the fee which was nice. Also, wifi was free and available in the rooms which is not always the case in Belgium, and there is an elevator.

Room Tip: If I went back I'd ask for a room with a view of the canal. I was on the street side, which was...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo