“Pleasant hotel, terrific location: ask for A/C room”

Hotel Bourgoensch Hof
Ranked #53 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Lucca, Italy
“Pleasant hotel, terrific location: ask for A/C room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

The Hotel Bourgoensch Hof is located 100 meters or so off of the Market Plaza. It is perfectly located for sightseeing in Bruges. Our room overlooked the street, but it was quiet at night and we slept soundly. Breakfast was good, no complaints re service or food. As mentioned in another review, the little outside eating area on the side of he hotel is the location where Ralph Fiennes shoots at Colin Farrell in the movie 'In Bruges', a dark movie filled with 4 letter words, which is a must see if you are going to Bruges. The room was fine. Unfortunately we were also there at the end of July and the room did not have A/C. I believe some rooms on the lower floors have A/C but we sweated it out with just a small fan and mid 80 degree temperatures overnight. Thus, if you go during a heat wave make sure you have A/C in your room or you will suffer. One other small complaint - the room safe was locked by a previous guest and in 2 days the staff was unable to get anyone over to open it up. They did provide a safe in the lobby area for our use, however. There is no one on duty after midnight until the early morning. The desk staff was very pleasant and helpful. In sum, we would stay at the hotel again - just not in a room without A/C if the weather should be above the norm in Bruges. jr

Room Tip: Get a room w/ A/C, and one overlooking the canal.
1 Thank jay r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Palo Alto, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was in Bruges during July 2014 when it was almost 95 degrees with very heavy humidity. There was no a/c in the room, which is fine, but I didn't know how to work the mini fan that was in my room (I had to push the restart button on bottom), and so I slept with the windows open the first night. Unfortunate decision -- I woke up with bug bites on my face, shoulder, chest -- very rare for me. If you aren't going to have a/c in the rooms, then at least get screens for the windows. That being said, the location was wonderful -- the hotel across the way is the hotel used in the film "In Bruges" and it's in the center of everything. I loved that part about it. The breakfast was good, and I enjoyed eating and watching the boats go by in the canals. My room also did not have a canal view, which was fine; I'm sure the ones with those views are lovely. The only other issue I had was that I had to check out at 6am (which I didn't think was very early) and no one was at the front desk. So I left the "Bruge-tax" on the desk in my room -- it was very weird to me that no one was working, as I think that 6am is not unusually early for a check-out. Apparently I was supposed to check-out the night before. All in all, a lovely hotel in a great location... just beware of some of these issues.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Spencer W
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

POSITION, POSITION, POSITION! I have mixed feelings about this hotel but the position is undeniably one of the best positions, if not the best, in Brugge. We had post card views from our canal view room. We had the room above the walkway between the two hotels, the view was amazing. The downside is that it was very, very noisy which did cause very disturbed sleep. One night we were woken at 2am by a very noisy woman who chose the covered walkway to shield from the rain and yell very loudly. I heard other hotel guests yelling at her to be quiet. I cannot be sure but I don't think the reception desk is manned throughout the night, having someone to quieten revellers may have helped with the noise level. The room was nicely decorated, clean and well maintained with plenty of toiletries and good towels. The shower pressure is not that good but adequate. There is a lift to carry the bags which is good. Breakfast was excellent served by a lovely lady who works hard to ensure quests are happy. The reception staff were efficient and accommodating. The wifi did not work consistently which was very frustrating. This hotel is expensive but Brugge is expensive. Staying in this hotel looking at the beautiful canal is an experience to be enjoyed at least once!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JoPMelbourne
Tunbridge Wells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel last year. Maybe it's changed hands since then. I hope so as, with different owners, it could be a terrific hotel.

On arrival, I was impressed by the gorgeous little courtyard right next to the canal - a lovely place for a drink and the chance to wallow in the atmosphere of Bruges. The restaurant attached to the hotel was good, not the most amazing place I've ever had a meal and very far from the cheapest, but if you can't be bothered to go walking about to find somewhere to eat then it will certainly be adequate.

Rooms were spotless, beds were comfortable. Nothing more I can ask or want from them. I notice some people are complaining about the bathroom doors. They have to be the most repressed people on the planet - the door is FROSTED, you cannot see anything through it. If you are really concerned that the person you are sharing a room with might be able to see you naked then don't be - they only will if you want them to.

The owners need a serious lesson in customer service. In a hotel with such friendly employees it is a shame that they are being let down so horrendously by their employers. Sitting in the breakfast room at 9am, having been in there since about half 8, we were told that we were taking too long over breakfast and to get out of the breakfast room. I could understand this if they had stopped breakfast at that time, which they hadn't and the room was half empty so they can't say that we were taking up space meant for others. All we did for the half hour we were in there was drink a couple cups of coffee and read the newspaper - we weren't even talking to each other, much less making a racket. It was rather odd.

Despite the owners, I'd probably stay again. Everything else about it was good enough to make up for them.

The only other downside was that our room overlooked the pretty little courtyard and we were woken by a bunch of school kids on a trip at about 8am as they all piled into the courtyard from the street so that they could admire the view. Can't blame them for doing that and not a big deal for me but some people might care.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Charles_Knows_Best
JAllewaert1, Manager at Hotel Bourgoensch Hof, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Charles knows Best,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear you were happy with the hotel and your room during your stay here last year.

Regarding your last paragraph where you say that you were approached by management during breakfast service, I can only say that we do not know who could have been this person. The front desk staff in the morning is either me or my mom, and we both have never (NEVER) asked anyone to leave the breakfast room. We have enough spaces to seat all our guests, so there is no need for anyone to leave early. I have furthermore double checked with the breakfast staff, and they also never ask anyone to leave, unless perhaps around 11h15, which is 45 minutes after the end of breakfast service.

So if anyone of our visitors ever experiences this again they are welcome to visit the front desk and tell us who approached them so we can unravel this mystery.

It could even have been a jealous guest who wanted to sit where you were seated.

My apologies that you experienced this, but again we would definitely not ask anyone to leave the breakfast room.

Kind regards,

Johannes
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel is clean and very comfortable. It has a beautiful view over the canal which you can enjoy from the breakfast room or from right outside the entrance. It is superbly located in the heart of the city and by taxi it should cost between 5-8 Euros to get there from the train station. The breakfast was basic but very nice. The staff were lovely and friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: We chose a small room for just one night..it was very small. If we had been staying for longer I th...
1 Thank jenny t
Bethel, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Amazing location - I felt like a princess looking out my windows onto the canal below. Simply gorgeous. We stayed here with our two kids and the room was spacious enough to accommodate all of us. The room was pretty plainly decorated, but with a view like that who needs decorations. Bathroom nicely updated. My only issue was the noise level - its right in the heart of Brugge so there were a lot of late night bar patrons out and about that we could hear late late into the night. Just keep that in mind depending on your needs. Breakfast included in our room, nice selection

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle S
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went to book this hotel but the manager was incredibly rude over room selection to the point we cancelled our stay and went elsewhere. Such a turnoff. Manager was very argumentative and started accusing us of all sorts of things. Unreal. Never seen anything like it.

2 Thank Monkster777