“Cool boutique hotel right next to the main square”
Review of Hotel Marcel

Hotel Marcel
Ranked #47 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely little boutique hotel just round the corner from the main square, and within walking distance of all the main attractions. The room was very spacious and had a huuuuge comfy bed. View of the belry from our room which was lovely to look at when lying in bed at night (although the bells every half an hour were a bit annoying after a while). We were also surprised that the TV had several UK channels (BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, CH4 and Film4) which was awesome as you're normally stuck with BBC World. Another bonus was that they had proper hairdryers in the bathrooms.

Breakfast was quite unusual but I really liked it - we were given a glass of orange juice and a brown bag filled with bread and croissants, and a wrapped portion of ham and cheese - it was like a little breakfast picnic! There were also yoghurts and hot drinks at a buffet if you wanted something extra.

Overall I really enjoyed our visit and would definitely stay here again. The only downsides were that there was no lift (although walking up 3 flights of stairs every time was good practice for the Belfry!) and the shower wasn't very powerful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed at the hotel Marcel in a triple room for just one night. Whilst our room was not spacious, it was very clean, comfortable and tastefully furnished with the most amazing decorative lit ceiling. The bathroom was fabulous, with lovely toiletries supplied. The free WiFi was fast and reliable, and we liked the fact there was a free safe in the room. The only downside was that there were no tea or coffee-making facilities in the room. The staff were friendly and helpful. Best of all, the location is great - very central and close to everything in this fabulous city.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Second time in Brugge but first at Hotel Marcel. Would stay here again. Lovely room, staff friendly and helpful and breakfast unusual and very pleasant. Hotel is in good location and a short walk from main sights and plenty of local bars. Our favourites were The Beer Wall, Cambrinus and Vino Vino. Canal trip was lovely too.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I absolutely love this hotel! I was pleasantly surprised by its modern decor when I first stepped in. The hotel staff were always friendly and helpful. The location is great too; it's just a minute's walk to the market, which is like the centre of where the action is.

My only two (minor) complaints are that the hotel has no lift and that the breakfast does not have a lot of variety (each person is only given a fixed portion of bread and ham). Other than that, I was pretty happy with the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank iceprincessnthepea
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We very much enjoyed our 3 nights. Hotel is very new, everything designed very fashionably, everything was sparklingly clean and worked very well, the beds were wonderful and soft, etc. Breakfast was extremely good, nice toiletries provided, wifi worked well. Also, props for the fabulous hairdryers! We did pay what I think was quite a good rate - average of 110E /night for a Marcel + room, which I thought was a fair price.

However, this new-ness and design is also something of a shortcoming, as the installation of an elevator appears to be coming along very slowly, there may be few communication kinks to be worked out (for example, we had a miscommunication about the inclusion of breakfast and there was no sign in the room as to whether the towels were replaced daily - they weren't) and the toilet area, as lovely as it looks, is not terribly practical - we saw the photos and understood going in, but it really would have been nice to have a toilet that was not behind a frosted glass sliding door with gaps in it.

In any event, none of that would detract from me recommending this hotel or staying again - the location could not be better, the owner was extremely pleasant, helpful and accommodating, and made a great base for Bruges.

Room Tip: No elevator at the moment, and the stairs are VERY steep and the ceilings quite high (so lots of ste...
1  Thank Shazza1Vancouver
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at hotel Marcel for just one night, which as it turns out was very fortunate. As I needed to work in the evening, the WiFi was essential, however after connecting to the WiFi I discovered there was no internet access. This can often happen and can usually be solved by restarting the WiFi router, which is quite a simple operation. I called reception to report the problem and was informed by a male voice that the WiFi was working. It does beg the question - why did he think I would report that it wasn't working, if it actually was? Did he think I took some perverse pleasure out of making false reports? Anyway, the man agreed to come to the room and when he arrived, unshaven and splendidly attired in jeans and casual shirt, showed me the WiFi indicator on his phone which showed full WiFi strength. I informed him the WiFi signal was not the issue, but that the router was blocking internet access. He dodged this bullet by saying he didn't understand what I meant since he wasn't a computer expert, although all I wanted him to do was restart the WiFi black box. I explained to him that this was important for my work and if he could not fix it, maybe he could find somebody who could, otherwise he should not expect us to pay the full room price. His semi-aggressive answer to this idea was that maybe we should leave the hotel, a truly masterful exhibition of customer service. From his shoddy appearance and accent, combined with his customer service skills, I judged him to be of eastern European extraction rather than Belgian - the Belgian lady on reception could not have been more friendly. I am amazed that a hotel would employ staff without the most basic knowledge of problem solving so i would certainly not stay here again if i need access to the Internet.

1  Thank TrevorRob
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We had high expectations for this hotel after reading many nice reviews. The location is great, the rest in our opinion does not deserve 4 stars. For 128EUR the breakfast was not included in the price. There is no lift in the hotel. Carrying two heavy suitcases on the 3rd floor was not nice. We did not like the room at first because of how the bed was made. The hotel uses linen and it's not ironed so the bed looks very untidy. The bathroom is more like a wet room, so when you are having a shower the water goes all over the bathroom floor which is rather unpleasant.
The WiFi did not work and when we complained at the reception the person was not able to understand how to restart the WiFi and just told us in not very good English that he is not an IT specialist and if we are not happy we should leave. We had a good sleep and the girl at the reception in the morning was friendly so in the end we decided not to complaint to the manager.
It's an average hotel in the good location.

1  Thank TrevoraLena