“Great chocolates!”

64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Great chocolates!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Marleen is friendly and helpful.
This little shop is a gem. Variety of chocolates, candies, cookies (also sugar free) in a box or a tin of your choosing.
Definitely try the homemade chocolates who come in a variety of flavors! Loved the herb ones!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Food L

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“terrible experience”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The woman who waited on us was incredibly rude. She rushed me and did not let me pick the chocolates I wanted. She told me the tins were empty and to pick a tin, then then chocolates, but then the tins turned out to have waffles and other stuff in them that I didn't want. She then tried to shove other things that we didn't want on us. All I wanted was a painted tin filled with chocolates. I left with a tin that she scratched when she scraped the price off it (which I didn't realize), and ended up with a bunch of stuff I didn't want. It was a terrible experience. We went to other places during our trip to Bruges where the people were much nicer and the chocolates better and we didn't feel like we were ripped off. She was too busy to wait on us and had some other guy pick out chocolates for us that we didn't even want. It was horrible. Not recommended at all.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Liz P
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We found this place about 10 years ago when we stumbled onto this fine chocolaterie. The lady who owns it is very passionate and has lots of different varieties to try.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank Al S
Nashville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Loved Chocolaterie de Burg”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Unlike the previous review, I had an excellent experience at Chocolaterie de Burg. I walked in at 7:00, as the store was closing and the owner stayed open late to allow me and my friend to shop and to sample chocolates. I visited many Chocolateries in Brugge, and this was one of the few that had samples, which was a big plus. The owner engaged us in conversation, told us about her family business and took extra care to wrap up the chocolates I bought. I also found her prices for chocolates to be one of the least expensive in Brugge (and Brussesls and Ypres for that matter). A box of mixed filled chocolates was 4.75 Euros for 250 grams. That was definitely on the low end of what I paid. At another chocolaterie in Brugge, I paid 7.75 for chocolates of the same weight and they were not as good. Did I mention the quality of the chocolates? I sampled much chocolate in my trip to Belgium and this was hands down the best chocolate I ate. As I have given chocolates to friends on my return home, they also agreed that these, as one friend stated, were the "best chocolates" they have ever eaten. Whitman's Sampler, move over. I highly recommend this shop. It's a family run business, it's been in Brugge for a long time and most importantly, the chocolates are delightful. I wouldn't miss this store if you are in Brugge!

Visited October 2013
2 Thank JennyOstermiller
Palermo
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Grumpy owner, awkward cashier, high prices: keep far!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

This "chocolaterie" is located in one of the main squares in the city centre, just steps away from the Markt. What to say about? My experience was absolutely negative.
I was there with my wife to buy a couple of gift confections of chocolates. On a counter there was a degustation plate with small pieces of scrambled chocolates, in different flavours. Before buying, my wife tasted one or two pieces, in order to chose her favourite flavours but when the owner (I think she was the owner, a not young lady, anyway) realized I was approaching my wife, fearing I was there to taste the chocolate too, she abruptly took away the plate...(so stingy!)
Another hitch at the moment to pay: I should have paid 15 euros for two small confections, so I gave a 50 euros banknote to the cashier and she gave me 25 euros as change. Probably she was very weak in Maths because when I claimed 10 euros back, instead of mending his mistake and begging pardon, she looked perplexed and called the older lady who, finally, gave me back my ten euros, in a very rude way...(rather than to say "sorry" she shouted at me: DO YOU UNDERSTAND?)
The last "incident": before going away, my wife took a small business card from a pile on the cash desk; obviously, she thought it was free, it should be a sort of advert for the shop, but, unexpectedly, the old lady stopped my wife and asked 30 cents for the card: unbelievable!!
Last but not least, walking around the city, soon after our purchases, we realized, unfortunately too late, the other shops of chocolate were absolutely cheaper!

Visited July 2013