Hotel Martin's Relais
US$189
US$178
  • Room Service
US$227
Hotel Bourgoensch Hof(Bruges)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$196
  • Restaurant
US$69
1,032 results
All reviewscanal viewthe main squarelovely hotelold buildingoverlooking the gardenthe ground floorcobbled streetsmoked salmonantique furnitureold world charmspacious roomreception stafflarge windowschampagne breakfastlots of characterhotel is situatedhigh ceilings
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Lovely hotel and kind and friendly staff. Had what I thought at first was a very special room - it was reached through the courtyard and was unique on two levels. The bottom level was a small hall with bathroom and loo and the via a curving staircase the bedroom - all great. But then a late night trip to the loo resulted in a slip down the stairs and a broken big toe and little toe! Staff at the hotel were very kind and after I came back from hospital on crutches with my foot in plaster they had moved me to another room. I then discovered it was a most unsuitable hotel for anyone with a disability - no hand rails for steps out of the hotel. As I said all staff were kind and sympathetic and I was impressed by the kindness of strangers. But I was a little surprised that the manager of the hotel didn't contact me...another trip to Bruges ever? Not sure!

Room Tip: Don't agree to going in room 52
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Sofie G, General Manager at Hotel Martin's Relais, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Joyofjoys,

Thank you for the time you made to write a review on Martin's Relais. Our guests opinions are extremely important when improving our service on a daily basses.

Due to the historical character of our building it isn't possible for us to make our hotel suitable for people with a disability without compromising the original architecture and features. When booking our hotel online or through our partners it is always stated that our hotel is not suitable for people with a disability. This is a conscious choice we made. However we would like to express our most sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced regarding this matter.

As general manager of Martin's Relais I was fully aware of the unfortunate event that happened to you during your stay and of the efforts my team made to provide you with a more accessible room on your return from the hospital.

I would like to wish you a quick and full recovery and hope that, if you do decide to visit Bruges again in the future, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Martin's Relais.

Sofie Goossens

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am so pleased that I chose this hotel. I booked it as part of a package deal through Eurostar so I got a fairly reasonable rate.

In my opinion the hotel is situated on the nicest stretch of canal in the city, about a 5 minute walk away from the main market square. The room was quite grand and the bathroom was enormous! The bed was also incredibly comfortable and the hotel staff were all helpful and friendly. I chose a canal view room which was nice but you could hear the cars drive past on the cobbles outside - however this stopped by amount midnight so didn't really disturb my sleep. I would absolutely stay here again as the hotel had bags of character and was probably the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: I think the garden view rooms would probably be a bit quieter but I still loved the canal side room.
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We booked through Eurostar and got a very good deal.
I paid a bit extra for a canal view room. It was large, comfortable and well equipped. Large bed, tv, safe, mimi-bar, good lighting, curtains which block out the light well. Bath, shower, etc worked well. All spotlessly clean. Air con if you need it. Although there is a road by the canal the traffic did not disturb us, we slept very well.
The public rooms are lovely. The buffet breakfast is pretty good, varied and replenished quite regularly, even the hot sausages are decent, fairly unusual in my experience on mainland Europe.
There were knowledgeable people available at Reception who could advise and all staff were pleasant and welcoming.
If you're coming by train the bus from the station stops 20 metres away, in Jan Van Eyck Plein

Dear 23RUN,

Thank you for your words of praise regarding your stay at Martin’s Relais.

When working in the hotel business it is ones goal to provide a good night’s sleep and a spotless service in each department of the hotel. Satisfied guests are a good reference for us and an encouragement for our team to keep up the good work!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Bruges sometime in the future!

Sofie Goossens

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights for our wedding anniversary. It is in a fantastic location and we had a room overlooking the canal. The room was spacious with a lovely bathroom. We had 2 large windows overlooking the canal and the view was great. Breakfast was good but not exceptional. Buffet food was a good selection but very limited hot food that was left in warmers and quite dry. Only minor complaints were that there were no towel hooks or rails in the bathroom and there was a wheel missing off one of the arm chairs so it rocked! Needs a bit more attention to detail but otherwise it was great and we'd recommend it.

Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Great location for those of us who like to walk about. Room and bathroom with really high ceilings were both spacious. Little problem working out how to take a shower but, resolved that issue. One sitting chair was worn all the way to the stuffing on the arm. Two lights were burned out, they replaced the one in the bathroom. TV was fine for no more than we watched it. Staff was friendly and helpful. Wi-Fi was too weak for me to use anywhere in the hotel. Bed , pillows and linens were very comfortable. Skip the overpriced breakfast buffet if it isn't included in your room cost. Nice neighborhood on a canal within easy walking of the sights.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family