“Nice location but...”

Hotel Martin's Relais
Ranked #32 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
“Nice location but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

This was a lovely hotel with an excellent location. Friendly and helpful staff. Room was lovely, a good size with a fantastic bathroom.
The only thing I didn't like was the stressed looking parrot sat in a cage opposite reception. The poor bird had pulled out his stomach feathers and was nervous of people near him. It made you feel sorry to see this and I would hope he is either properly looked after or given to a good home, as it did affect my overall enjoyment of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nikki H
Sofie G, F&B Manager at Hotel Martin's Relais, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Nikki,

Following your comment I would like to take the time to give you some back ground information about my parrot named Coco.

Coco is an African grey, she was born in 1977 and hand reared by Mr. Hugo D. She lived with him for 24 years until Hugo’s age forced him to move to a nursing home. Coco then moved to his son where she stayed until Hugo passed away in 2002. At this point Coco was very sad due to the move and the lack of attention she was given, as a result she plucked here feathers until she was completely bold on here body.

As I have had a passion for birds since a young age, and feeling sorry for her, I offered to take her off his hands. In my care Coco started getting better again. The feathers came back to what they are now. My veterinarian told me that, for a parrot that was completely plucked, her feathers are in really good condition now.

About a year ago many things changed in my private life, resulting to the fact that Coco was home alone for most of the day and started to pluck herself again. This gave me the idea to place here in the hotel, where I work. Now she has lots more interaction and attention than before.

The shaking you have observed is something Coco has always done. My veterinarian says this is not unusual for an African grey and nothing to be worried about.

Coco is fed a balanced diet. I change the toys in here cage on a regular basis to give here distraction and she is also let out of her cage on a regular basis.

I hope, now you know a lot more about Coco’s history, it assures you that she is in good care with me and my colleagues at Martin’s Relais.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Turkish first
Melrose, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at the Martin's Relaise in Bruges for three nights. The location is great, in Van Eyck Square, an easy walk to the main square and anything you want to see in Bruges. We arrived by train and it is a 15 minute bus ride from the train station to the hotel, but once you are there you can walk to everything. The hotel is in a very old, typically Bruges building but beautifullly clean and well appointed. We were given the only room in the basement (or -1 floor as they call it). At first, we weren't sure we would want this room, but it was very large, with a beautifully large new bathroom, and though the windows were high and overlooking the back garden there was enough light. The back garden was lovely, with tables for relaxing or bringing a bottle of wine and food at the end of a long day of sight seeing. We were the only ones using it so it was very private and quiet. There is a 10 euro fee for breakfast, but a lovely boulangerie a short walk away with croissants, quiches and lots of other delicious choice to bring back. Definitely would reccomend this hotel for a stay in Bruges.

Room Tip: Room 99 is in the lower level of the hotel, facing the garden. Reading other reviews it seems this r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bostontraveler8479
Sofie G, General Manager at Hotel Martin's Relais, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Bostontraveler8479,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive report on your stay in Martin’s Relais.
Our hotel is located in 5 existing mansions which are now interconnected, it is full of level differences, and also (due to the rich history of the building) vaulted basements. Room 99 used to be one of these ‘basements’, which is actually only half under, half above the street level. In the late middle ages, these basements were used for stocking the incoming goods (mostly wool) when being delivered over the canals.

For some people the location of this room might look a little strange, but I am glad you gave it a chance and enjoyed it so much!

Yours Sincerely,
Sofie Goossens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a trip for our wedding anniversary via Eurostar and chose this hotel based on its location. We were not disappointed!

We were given room 25 which is 2nd floor garden view with gorgeous little decked balcony. Unfortunately, the room safe wasn't working and although the hotel offered us the use of hotel safe, we asked if we could move rooms. Within five minutes we were in room 30! A fantastic room with the most amazing bed and bathroom.

We didn't hear any of the noise mentioned in other comments. Breakfast was in a basement room that overlooked the canal and the cava breakfast buffet was the most wonderful start to each day we spent in Bruges. The buffet was plentiful and tasty.

All of the staff were friendly and polite and I can't thank reception enough for so swiftly changing our room when we requested it without any fuss.

This really is an ideal place to stay when in Bruges.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Portola Valley, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

the hotel is run down and in need of updating. I appreciate its history but new carpet, paint, bedding are dearly needed. It is in a lovely location in Bruges, walking distance to everything you would want to do. I would suggest getting a room faced the inner courtyard if you want quiet. This hotel has huge potential.

Room Tip: Room looking at the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lisaleslie
Sofie G, General Manager at Hotel Martin's Relais, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Lisaleslie,

Thank you for the time you took to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

I am glad to read that –even though you did not like every aspect of the hotel- you have appreciated the history of our building and its location.

As our building is a classified monument, we are not allowed to do big renovation works. We can only try –which we do so every single day- to keep everything clean and in good condition, whilst keeping the authentic character intact. On a regular bases we try to renovate rooms completely, including painting and carpet.

Hopefully we may welcome you another time in the future!

Warm regards

Sofie Goossens
Surrey, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Quick trip to Bruges, which is a lovely place well preserved and charming. The Hotel Martin's - hmmmmm, lets see. I did not book this one, I had business nearby and some associates booked this hotel for me. Very nice location, quiet, central

Minor annoyance at check in as my name was wrong on the reservation which meant the wifi did not work and I was in a hurry so this was just an unnecessary hold up.

A colleague had stayed in this hotel previously and had a lovely canalside or riverside room which I did not get so that was annoying (and pathetic, I know!).

After a business dinner, I spent a very convivial evening in the hotel bar / lounge / library which had a very decent selection of beers and whisky

The hotel amenities were fine, slightly dated but everything in working order

Breakfast room very pleasant and a full selection of drinks, juices, and all types of food for breakfast. Service in the breakfast room was a bit slack but overall in the hotel I found the staff friendly and attentive

The value for money box got ticked as I found the Martin's Relais good value on the company tariff I received from our business partners

So all in all, not spectacular but very nice location, well fitted out if dated, decent staff, nice bar lounge and worthy of a very good rating in my opinion

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Stephen H
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Martin's Relais is an ideal location for a visit to Brugge. It is situated a few blocks from the main square of Brugge, not too close too be noisy but not to far to walk. The atmosphere is relaxing with its old world charm. The staff is very attentive and helpful. The rooms are large and ours had a lovely view of the garden courtyard.Wifi worked great. Beds were large and comfortable. It was a nice place to return to after a long day of sightseeing. Desk and bar are open 24 hours. It is a gorgeous building that will make you feel like you are staying in your rich uncle's country house. Front and back entrances make it easier to get to your desired activity.

Room Tip: Lower floor avoids need for elevator.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

We booked a canal view double and spent 3 nights here.
Wow the room was fantastic.
Very large spacious room with huge bathroom. We had a canal view from the main room and bathroom overlooked the garden. Opening windows gave us wonderful airflow.
The bed was exceptional as was all bedding and linen.
We chose not to include breakfast as €20 each a day seemed a little too much for the amount we would actually each ( usually a pastry and coffee) but I'm sure it would have been wonderful.
Reception staff were very professional and greeted us with a warm friendly manner. We arrived before check in time and our room wasn't quite ready but storing our luggage was no problem at all.
One thing that I loved was the smell. The hotel, upon entry had a wonderful, clean and fresh smell. I would love to know what the deodoriser or cleaning product is as I just loved it. :-)
Bruges is a wonderful place and Martins Relais was a great choice for us. Location, room, sleep quality all excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends