“Excellent homely spot for Christmas”

Andre's Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #100 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at Andre's over Christmas and had a lovely time. He and his wife were very inviting, up for a chat and happy to give out their expansive local knowledge. Breakfast is very nice and the homemade jam is delicious, particularly the rhubarb. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Andre and his wife Hilde made my son and i very welcome. We were picked up and dropped at the bus station and Andre provided us with a bus card and information on best places to eat, what buses to get etc. This made our trip so much more relaxing. They were very accommodating and even helped me out when i lost my phone by helping me to retrieve it. An absolute pleasure to be there and many thanks to both Andre and Hilde. I will definetely be back.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at Andre's from 30 April - 2 May 2010. We were thrilled that we didn't have to worry about trying to find our way to the B&B after a long train journey from Charleroi Airport (we flew with RyanAir). Andre was prompt on time to collect us at the train station.

When we arrived at the house, Andre provided us all the information and suggestions re. Restaurants, bars, bus travel etc that we could possibly need. There is a bus stop only a few minutes walk from the B&B which will take you into the Old Town. Andre also provided us with a pre-paid bus ticket, where we then reimbursed him for the number of trips we had used. This meant we were able to travel on the busses for a lot less than it would have cost if we had bought the ticket on the bus ourselves.

The room was perfectly clean and adequate for a short stay. A basin is in the room, and you share a shower with one other room.

The breakfast was perfect, and the coffee devine!!! :)

Something to bear in mind when visiting Bruges is that in the evenings the busses stop running according to their particular routes. You catch the bus in the 'Old Town Square' but you need to tell the driver where to take you. Almost like taking a Taxi :) ... only cheaper. The downside to this, is that the return drive might take a fair bit longer than expected, as the bus drives around dropping other passengers off at their 'chosen' stops. We didn't find it a problem though :)

Bruges is definetely a lovely city to visit. If you are like me, and want to see the 'true Flemish draft horses' you won't find these in the Old Town Square. There are carriage rides you can get from here, however its not the true Flemish draft horses and will set you back about 30euro for a 30 minute trip. Dray rides are available with the Flemish draft horses outside just outside the old town. If my memory serves me right... it is outside the Jewish church.

When in Bruges be sure to try the waffels :) ... and my husband really enjoyed the BruggeZot beer.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jan_in_za
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Overal:Simple, pleasent.
From the first time we contacted Andre, we knew that it would a pleasent stay. Communication was fast and accurate. We didn't have to worry about finding his place because he picked us up at the train station.
Room:
Very typical of euro rooms, bed, sink, closet . . . what more do you need? Shared bathroom was clean and functional
Breakfast:
GREAT. The selection of cold food for breakfast was very good for a meat-eater(like us) or a vegitarian. This was also our introduction to Speculoos! Also, we where the only couple in the house so breakfast was when we wnated it . . . Andre was very accomidating!
Location:
Good. We enjoyed the walk into the centre of town, but have good shoes. You'll need a full 15-20 each way. It's worth every minute!(Bring a small backpack if you think you'll be shopping.)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2011

When I entered it seemed more of a house than a B & B. While my friends and I were backpacking, we were on a tight budget, but the place seemed luxurious yet homey and cosy. The family within were all very nice, polite, and happy. The rooms themselves were clean and oddly enough very colourful. The bathroom was clean as well, but seperate, which was fine as the shower more than made up for it. In the morning the breakfast was already prepared, with your choice of beverage awaiting in a steaming cup. Andre himself drove us to the train station so we could be on our way. Speaking six languages is very helpful, especially as I knew no Dutch, and Andre knew the majority of European languages including: Dutch, English, Italian (heard him speak to a couple leaving the same morning), French, Spanish, and I think the last one was German. As a whole, my time there, though short and fleeting, was one filled with only positive experiences and would very much enjoy going back. One thing I would like to point out is that he is a twenty minute walk from downtown Bruges, so it was very tiring to go there and back, but simply renting a bike for a day solves all those problems and gets you to and fro within a few minutes.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2010

I wouldn't normally choose a B&B but the hotels in Bruges were just so expensive. I shouldn't have worried as Andre's was fantastic.

OK the room was a tad small and the bathrooms were shared BUT Andre himself more than makes up for these small inconveniences.

Moments after booking through a well known hotel booking site, I received a personal email from Andre asking if I needed any assistance in finding my way to his B&B. He responded to my request with very clear and detailed driving directions from Calais.

Andre was happy for us to check in at lunch time. As soon as we arrived he provided us with maps of the city and gave us his tips on what to see and do and where is good for dinner.

Andre's B&B has plenty of free on street parking and is an easy 25 minute walk into the city centre. Alternatively it is a 5 minute drive down a straight road to a free car park yards from the city.

The breakfast was first class with plenty to eat and featured several jams home made by his wife.

All in all factor in Andre, the easy location, free parking, great breakfast and reasonable price and you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple