“Terrific Place to Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Perth Australia
“Terrific Place to Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

What a delightful little hotel. It’s cosy, comfy, inviting, quiet and exceptional value for money.
Check in was painless, when I arrived back from a stroll I found my bags already in my room. A point to note here might be that there is NO lift so if mobility is a problem, maybe a ground floor room might be advisable.
The tiny, elegant, hotel foyer separates the secure guest area. The key for your room also gains you access to this area as well as the front door if you arrive home after the reception has closed.
I had room 3, up one flight of stairs and tucked behind a door with a corridor making it very private and quiet, the only noise (not loud), I heard was from the person in the next room when they return home.
The room was very large by European standards. It had 2 single (I think king singles) pushed together making a queen bed. The linen was crisp and clean. The pillows were comfortable.
Also in the room was a small dining table, 2 dining chairs, a large comfy leather single seater chair, good sized wardrobe (some clothes hangers included) with lots of shelves. Added extras included a safe, hairdyer, TV (I never got around to turning it on so I’m not sure about the variety of channels available), tea & coffee making facilities (topped up daily), clock and phone. Also the room had quite a number of power points.
I noticed that some reviewers commented on the colour of the decor. I loved it! It made a nice change from the usual neutral colours of hotel rooms. The floors are wood, great for allergy sufferers.
I had no problems writing or reading by the lights provided.
My only suggestion to improve this lovely place would be the inclusion of a fan, as in summer the rooms can be a bit stuffy. The room does have a large window, alas no flyscreens so the mossies might be a problem.
The bathroom was clean with body/shampoo gel provided along with soap and shower cap. Towels were large and good quality, changed daily, if that’s what you want. The shower is reasonably large, there isn’t a bath though. The water was hot and plentiful. My only comment about the shower is the shower rose could do with updating as water tends to go in all directions.
The view from room 3 is above the tiny walled courtyard where they serve afternoon tea (something else I never quite got around to trying).
The included breakfast, down the stairs in the 16C cellar, had a nice selection, not vast but more than adequate. They had 3 or 4 different cereals, a couple of juices, 4/5 different yogurts, fruit, eggs (you boil your own), breads, rolls, cheese, a couple of cold cuts and a selection of crackers and sweet breads plus tea and coffee. More than enough to provide steam for an energetic day’s sightseeing.
Near the breakfast room is a small lounge area with novels which can be borrowed along with local information.
This hotel is spotlessly clean and in good condition.
Situated literally about 200mt from the Burg and therefore central to everything including a large selection of restaurants, that are away from the overpriced and often very average eateries in the Burg and Markt.
There are 2 small convenience shops nearby,one on Phillipstockstraat and another on Hoogstraat .
Check out was equally painless, Frank was happy to call a taxi to get me to the train station on time.
I couldn’t fault the service that Frank, Darlene and their support staff provided and would be happy to recommend this hotel to a friend.

Room Tip: Room 3 Overlooks the courtyard, whisper quiet
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank 35yrdream

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

Was in Bruges with three of my friends, so the room was a family room, one king size bed and two separate beds. The room was missing air conditioning (AC), so we had to leave the windows open for the nights, because the weather was hot by the time of the visit. The hotel is located next to the very center of Bruges, so the street was quite noisy in the night, which was not nice when you had to sleep with windows open. The breakfast was included in the price and there was quite wide selection of stuff in the buffet and the quality was good.

Room Tip: Do not book a family room for four individual persons. There is no A/C.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank TPS1111
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Great little hotel in the heart of Bruges. If your looking for a big corporate hotel this isn't the place for you. Hotel Malleberg is a small hotel with bags of charm, only a minute's walk to the market square. Friendly helpful staff, good size room and a decent selection of foods for breakfast. Would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

We usually stay at 4 star hotels but found the prices prohibitive in Bruges. We were delighted when we arrived at the traditional Hotel Malleberg which is located centrally just yards from the Berg. The rooms are clean and spacious and the bed very comfortable. Tea making facilities were available in the room.The buffet breakfast was excellent giving a good choice of cereals, meat, cheese, breads, jams, fruit and boiled eggs.
This is not a good hotel if you have bad knees as the stairs are quite steep and breakfast is served downstairs in the beautiful vaulted cellar. We found our hosts to be friendly, informative and attentive. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor if you have difficulty climbing stairs.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol L
North Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We arrived in this beautiful little hotel two hours earlier than expected and I was gently reminded of this in the lobby when checking in. But, when you are driving...you are estimating and can't always be right bang on.

The hotel is in a great location. You walk out the door and you are immediately surrounded by canals, bridges, shops, cobblestone streets, quaint little coffee shops and restaurants. The parking is kind of annoying, we had a half hour out front to unload our stuff (and I don't think there is an elevator...at least we never found one) then drive the car a few blocks away to a an inexpensive underground parkade. The hotel is an older cozy version of a European house. It was beautifully appointed with a gorgeous little courtyard where you can sit and enjoy, if it isn't raining! Our room was massive!! High ceilings, table and chairs, big bathroom, coffee/tea makings...everything one could want. It was clean and comfortable. We were sad we could only stay one night.

Breakfast was amazing!!! It had absolutely everything you could possibly want in a breakfast. And best of all, it is served all the way downstairs in what must have been a wine cellar or brick vault of some sort. An amazing experience.

The host was most friendly and helpful. And best of all...the room, a large family room, was very inexpensive. This is definitely the place I would choose to stay again if I go back. You will love it!

2 Thank Helen m
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I was a bit worried about our reservation in Bruges. I needed to book a family suite and it seemed like there was little choice for hotel rooms of this size. I definitely worried for nothing because the family suite on the ground floor was a comfortable haven for our family after long days of sightseeing. It was huge! One very large master bedroom for myself and my husband and another room with single beds for the kids. The bathroom was very large with both a shower and a great soaking tub of which I made great use. The decor was very fresh and vibrant and it was a nice contrast to the surrounding 'old town' Bruges.
The owners, particularly Frank were very helpful during my exhaustive inquiries about local eateries.
The provided wifi worked really well and the kids found some entertaining French and Dutch TV programs :)
Breakfast was adequate. Delicious croissants, baguettes, boiled eggs, cheese, and a selection of fruit and yoghurt.
I told everyone back in Canada that we had hit the hotel jackpot and if I would not pause to recommend Hotel Malleburg to anyone planning a stay in Bruges.

Note: As per the previous review, we could not figure out a way to shower without making a huge puddle on the bathroom floor. Since the floor is also tiled this could become a problem if someone were to slip.

I miss Bruges already and I'm dreaming about all the beer I missed having at Cambrinus. I only got to try six of the 400 beers on the menu. Maybe I need to visit again?

Spangdahlem, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I just returned from a lovely stay at Hotel Malleberg in Brugge, and am already planning my next visit! My family of four (two adults, two children ages 6 and 4) stayed in the family suite, a spacious two-bedroom unit on the ground floor. The rooms were clean and well-appointed, and the vaulted ceilings added a sense of grandeur. The bathroom was adequate - separate room for the toilet, which was nice, but the shower leaked onto the floor and was slow to drain. The breakfast/lounge area downstairs was charming and cozy, and breakfast was quite good (standard assortment of breads and spreads, meats, cheese, eggs for you to boil, and fantastic pate!). I found the proprietors to be friendly and unobtrusive, and were very helpful when we had questions about navigating the local area. The location of the hotel is outstanding - a half-block from the Burg, a few more minutes to the Markt, and no more than a 15 minute walk from anywhere in the pedestrian-friendly historic area. We were very pleased with our stay, and look forward to visiting again!