“Great value for money in an amazing, but somehow expensive Brugge”
Review of Hotel Asiris

Hotel Asiris
Ranked #67 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Bucharest, Romania
“Great value for money in an amazing, but somehow expensive Brugge”
Reviewed 6 October 2010

I love Brugge! It's the most beautiful city I have ever been and I am quite a traveler. Stayed here for 4 nights in august, 2010. My second time in Brugge, so I knew what to expect. The prices of hotels close to city centre where high, so when I found this 2 stars hotel at 70 euro/room in high season I was a little bit skeptical. After reading the reviews, I decided to book it anyway, although I usually stay at 3 or 4 stars hotels. But I use the room only to take a shower and sleep, so I needed it to be clean. And I was not disappointed at all! As stated here, it was renovated, with clean rooms, big enough (both room and bathroom) for two persons. Yes, I stayed in bigger rooms, with larger bathrooms and brand new sink and tub, but this is a 2 stars hotel in Brugge, not a cheap city. It could use a curtain for the tub and better ventilation. The bed was comfortable, although at a minimum size for two normal two thin people. These aren’t bad things, just things you have to expect. I was surprised to have a LCD in the room, meaning that the family that runs the hotel cares for their guests. Being an old and classical building, it didn't have an elevator, so it's quite a problem to climb the steep stairs with a large suitcase, but you only do that twice, at arrival and leaving, so it's OK.
But by far the best thing at Asiris is their amazing breakfast, with plenty to choose from, different sorts of cheese and meat, homemade pies, eggs, cereals, and so on... Great start for a full day walk! The breakfast room was very beautiful decorated, as seen in the picture. Our hosts were very kind and helped us to reclaim our luggage, lost by Ryanair, of course... For the night, at the entry you have to use a code to get in, which is very at hand, since they don't have a 24h reception.
So, overall, a very pleasant stay at Asiris. A clean, comfortable hotel, in a classical building for medieval Brugge. Will stay here again and I recommend it. In the city centre you'll find 3 and 4 stars hotels, probably with bigger and newer rooms, but expect to pay at least 150 euro/room. Better pay 70 at Asiris and use the difference to buy lots and lots of renowned Belgian chocolate! :)

• Stayed August 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London
Reviewed 28 September 2010

But without the pretend kindness! It is nearly worth booking into this hotel just to experience the rudeness of the owner. We arrived on a thursday, after booking a small room for 65 euros, including the free use of their garage to store our bicycles. We were made feel as welcome as a heart attack from the start. The owner, a large, grumpy, rude and unfriendly character, told us we could lock our bikes outside and when we told him a lady promised a garage, he had the guts of not even believing us and went to double-check with his wife! Once confirmed, he barked that he would take us there, so, after dropping our bags in the room, we came back down, told him we were ready to store the bikes away, he then proceeds to take his bike, and off he goes, without even waiting for us. I thought we would lose him, but nope, the garage was 200 yards away. 200 yards away and he didn't even bother to walk the distance. This really gave us an idea of the sort of person he was: lazy, minimal effort. He showed us the garage, gave us the keys and off he went again, without even waiting for us. The room was small, as per description, which was fine, but very tatty, the blanket dirty. The bathroom was ok, but for the dodgy plumbing, which kept on waking my husband up. Breakfast was fine, typical Belgian, although a 'good morning, how are you' woulnd't have hurt. Oh, sorry, forgot, lazy! And to close this wonderful stay, when I went to pay, that friendly chap asks me for 75 euros, instead of 65. I inform him that I have a confirmation email saying it's 65, to which he adds that the extra 10 are for the use of the garage!!! Of course I tell him that I agreed in advance that it would have been free of charge, and after an initial pause, he gave in. All in all, I wonder why some people, who obviously have no people skills, even bother working in an industry where they have to make an effort. If you'd like to see Belgium's answer to Basil Fawlty, this is for you; if you prefer manners and good service, stay very very clear.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sabrina70
Reviewed 16 May 2010

We stayed ne night in a triple in May 2010

The hotel is a short walk away from the center of town and is much less expensive. a good trade off for me. The owner was very nice and helpful with a late switch in our reservations.
The room itself was very clean and in very good condition It was up the stairs but that is pretty common in Europe. The breakfast room was very pretty and the selection of breads, cheeses cereal was very good in my view a unexpected pleasure considering the price of the room. A very good value, I'd go back again if I was to visit Bruge in the future. Bruge was a very pleasant place to visit.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Nice hotel. Clean nicely decorated rooms. Good breakfast.

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Staines, England
Reviewed 13 January 2010

I stayed at the Asiris in January 2010 for 3 nights in a triple room.

The price was reasonable, for Bruges, and the room, whilst basic and a little dated, was clean and warm. The hotel was shutting after our stay for renovation, so the standard of the rooms may now change. A continental buffet breakfast was included.

The owners both spoke English and were generally very helpful. I didn't experience any of the problems other reviewers have mentioned.

The hotel was a short walk (10 mins) to the main squares, but I would recommend getting a bus or taxi if arriving from the train station (as the hotel and the train station are at opposite ends of the town).

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Staines27
bucks
Reviewed 24 November 2009

Myself (24) and my partner (29) stayed at the Hotel Asiris for two nights. The location was good, a 5-7 min walk from the main market square and walkable to any part of bruges really. The room we had (13) was loverly, reached though an outside courtyard with chairs and tables to sit outside. The room had a lounge area with tv a good sized bathroom and the bed was up a small staircase. The room was clean and had everything you need. The only minor downside was the bed while comfortable was a bit squeaky and the staircase up to the double bed was quite steep. The breakfast was good with the traditional bread, crossants, eggs, cheese, ham, brioche and more.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Tucked away on the northeastern edge of Bruges and just a ten minute saunter to the centre of town, this was a lovely experience. Katie was a welcoming and helpful owner who steered me in the right direction once I was settled in. The room itself was immaculate and spotless. A deeply comfortable single bed, on the third floor, which offered a great view of the Markt in the distance, was combined with a fully-equipped bathroom (much appreciated after a couple of days of showers in my Paris hotel). along with a decent TV and a clock radio which connected me to the World Service. But the real treat was the breakfast room - tastefully decorated, complete with chandeliers, it was an upmarket experience to break bread in there. The breafast itself was self service, but that was no issue - a well-stocked and generous selection of Continental petit dejeuner options were on offer. This was real value for 50 euros a night. There was an internet facility for 3 euros per 30 minutes, which was handy as Bruges is not well-stocked with internet cafes. Easily the best value of all three of my hotel options on this trip, I'd go back again if I was to visit Bruges in the future.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo