“Absolutely fantastic! Amazing value!”
Review of Great War Battlefields Tour - CLOSED

Great War Battlefields Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: An all-in bus tour starting from Bruges to explore all the most important places on the front of the First World War. An experienced guide brings you to the Trench of Death in Diksmuide and other trenches, such as Hill 60 in Zillebeke, the Canadian Memorial in Langemark, the impressive cemeteries in Boezinge and Tyne Cot Cemetery. In Ieper you will visit the In Flanders Fields Museum. The day ends by attending the Last Post ceremony.
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We were so lucky to be able to book this tour just the day before but I think we found the best one! For €69 each, we got 12 hours entertainment (it can be hefty and we were shattered by the end of the day, but why not see it all while you can?!) we were greeted by our excellent multi lingual guide Michel, the tour was in English, we started out in the 'trench of death', then onto Ypres to visit the fantastic Flanders Fields museum, off for a hot and cold buffet lunch in the Novotel included in the price with 2 drinks, next it was hill 60, followed by Tyne cots cemetery and the brooding soldier monument, the site of the writing of 'in Flanders Fields' poem, a free hour and a bit in the beautiful city of Ypres for a drink and a snack and finally the last post held in Menin gate, to stir the emotions. Very well worth doing this tour, and as the youngest couple on the tour, I would have been incredibly sad to have missed out on this important history. I can't imagine that a visit to Bruges (our base) or the surrounding area would've been complete without this tour.

1  Thank Griswoldsontour

Reviewed 30 July 2014

A very memorable, moving and poignant day out. It really brought history to life - I studied WWI at school but the guide (Frank) made it much clearer to understand. I was very impressed with his commentary and knowledge about this period in history, explained with a great deal of sensitivity. We set off promptly at 9.00 am and kept to the planned schedule all day. We visited trenches, including the Trench of Death, the Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres, the Memorial Museum and Tyne Cot Cemetery in Passchendaele, site of Lt. McCrae - the poppy poem, Canadian Memorial in Langemark-Poelkapelle. Our guide pointed out many other monuments, cemeteries and landmarks along the way. We had a very nice lunch at the Novotel in Ypres (included in the 69 euros tour) and returned there later where we had some free time before attending the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. I would advise anyone attending this ceremony who wants a good view of the proceedings to get there between 7.00 and 7.15 pm at the latest as it gets very busy and crowded. We were fortunate to see members/bands of the Army Cadet Force, Air Training Corps, Sea Cadets and various other groups. We returned to Bruges at approximately 9.30 pm. I think this tour was excellent value for money compared to others that I looked at, especially as it included the Last Post ceremony. It is difficult to call it a 'good' day out due to the obvious subject matter but I would highly recommend it to anyone, and particularly anyone with an interest in history. It was a very informative, thought-provoking and eye-opening day.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had such a fantastic day. The tour left promptly at 9:00 and we were on schedule the whole day through. I was very impressed with Patrick's knowledge and explanations of the battles and what was going on.
The stops we made were well chosen and indicative of the what happened 100 years ago. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone - great value for your money!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Although one of the guides of the tour is my father, I think I can write an objective review. In just one day I've learned much more about WWI. Everywhere we were the guide gave us an interesting and clear explanation of the situation. We visited a lot of different monuments/museums/other spots and each of those were definitely worth it!
I recommend this day trip to everyone who would like to learn more about WWI in Flanders!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

An adult ticket for the tour with the Last Post at the Menin Gate costs 69 euros including a buffet lunch at the Novotel in Ypres (the potato gratin was especially tasty!). We left Bruges at 9am and returned at about 9:30pm. Our guide Else (sp?) was very knowledgeable and friendly and spoke excellent English. The In Flanders' Fields Museum in Ypres and the museum at Passchendaele were very different but both worth visiting - the trench experience at Diksmuide was particularly eye-opening (if it's rained the night before you go, wear something more sensible than Converse). Going to Tyne Cot Cemetery and Essex Farm Cemetery really brought home the reality of war after the museum visits earlier in the day. We had a bit of free time in Ypres again to grab a bite to eat (try the Spirelli pasta place in the main square for something fairly cheap but tasty to take-away) before the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate. A piper and pipe band were present alongside the buglers - you can look at the Last Post website to see if anyone else will be playing there on the day of your visit. All in all, a very good day out, good for people who know a lot or a little about the Great War and full of respect for the soldiers involved in the conflict.