“Great place to stay”

Ranked #59 of 230 Bruges B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

This is the first time I have filled in a review, lady jane was so so good I felt I had to.
We stayed in the english room, lovely big light room, looking over the roof tops. Breakfast arrived on a tray outside the room, fresh, bread, cheeses, meat, fruit and yougurt and lots of coffee. Hugo was really helpful, helping us when we were stuck in bruges due to the rail strike. It was lovely to have a folder of recommendations for places to visit and to eat. The local resturants he recommended were really friendly and great food.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Turkish first
Vila Nova de Milfontes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

The Lady Jane is an amazing and wonderful experience. The hotel is right inside the old town and the building is in the style but well maintained. the owner couldn't be more helpful and my wife and I enjoyed our two days immensely.

Room Tip: Choose the Japanese room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

The title says it all really. This place is truly amazing! Forget all the stuff you know about B&B's this is something else. We stayed in 'Japan' thinking the same thing as perhaps you are - go to Belgium and stay in a Japanese themed room, isn't that a bit odd? Booking the place was really simple and on the confirmation email Hugo (you will have read about him already) asked if he should 'cool a bottle of champagne' this basically sums up what he's like even offering to move our car around in the daytime to avoid paying for parking (we didn't take him up on it as he had a broken foot (the point here is that even with a broken foot he was still prepared to move our car around to make our life easier)). We arrived 4 hours earlier than asked to this wasn't a problem at all, with his broken foot Hugo took us upstairs not just to a room, but an amazing room with full length windows that was huge, adorned with what looked like a personal collection of Japanese memorabilia and furniture. This room alone would have exceeded my expectations when we were shown to our private living room again huge with 2 sofas and dining table piano and lots more. The bathroom was amazing too, twin sinks, jacuzzi bath and shower and all the stuff you forgot to bring in abundance in a little cupboard next to the fluffy bath robes. The attention to details is amazing as is the lighting. On the landing there is a fridge with nice quality beer and wine (a little note says "take a bottle of wine and leave four euros in its place, if the wine is not to your taste please take another", we drank a few and they were all good!). At 8.30 in the morning a tray of home cooked breads, meats, cheese, yoghurt, milk, orange juice, chocolate milk, fruit, jam, even chocolate spread (which was quite popular) appears on the table in the living room. There is a coffee machine there too and lots of tea making facilities. With the windows wide open looking over the rooftops the breakfast was a real highlight. One of the other reviews mentions Lady Jane being nowhere near the centre and taking an hour or more to walk there - we got lost a lot but that person must have had a serious sense of direction failure! It's 5-10 mins to everywhere in the centre. If you go also take the time to walk away from town to the end of the road where there are two amazing bars overlooking the windmills. I would not normally make the effort to write a review (or even join trip advisor) but I felt this place was absolutely worth it. Moules & Frites for every meal (well except breakfast)!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon C
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Im not one to do a review but Lady Jane deserves it, after a week traveling threw europe and staying in drasticaly over priced hotels we stumbled upon the magnificant Lady Jane. We arrived early so we were willing to just drop our bags and come back later but the very chilled Hugo showed us to our amazing room "japan" i was so taken aback by the detail in this room ive stayed all over the world in many different types of accomidation this room blew me away it was also twice the size of our own bedroom back home, he then proceeded to show us our living room which was also fabulously decorated with two comfy couches dining table anf facilities and our private bathroom! The "minibar" consisted of a large selection of fab wines and beers and very very cheaply priced. He has an amazing folder made out of Brugge it has everything you could possibley need to know done in such amazing detail! We felt so comfortable and at home here its such a beautiful hidden gem of Brugge. I highly recommend staying here Partner and i have alreadin hugos never mind the fairytale town its located in! Also the 5 star breakfast worth the trip back for too :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keoghIreland
atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2011

I am well traveled and work in the travel industry. This bed and breakfast had a lot of charm and while I have stayed at many deluxe hotels that offered more comfort in some ways, this place had something maybe even more important. It was full of elements that create long lasting memories of some place special. The history of the building, the location, the sweet host Hugo, and some things you really can't describe make the inn very original. Our room, the Lady Jane rooms seemed romantic. The breakfast was great and served at exactly 830am. We had plenty of breads, meat, cheese, yogurt, fruit, juice and mile to even keep some for later. I think my memories of the place will last a lifetime as it was not a cookie cutter chain hotel that I can stay in anywhere, but a place with character and substance. I even wonder if maybe there are friendly spirits walking the place as I got a good "vibe" and felt very happy and relaxed just being there. Don't let the minor inconvenience of a shared bathroom stop you from staying. It was no worse than staying at a friends home in that regard. (Tip...bring your own soap, shampoo) There is a small fridge and microwave for use and also beer and wine to purchase at very reasonable price.

I hope to go back one day to Brugge and the Lady Jane !!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank waytogogirl
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

Really enjoyed our single night stay here. The breakfast was amazing and freshly homemade. Great value for money. The bathroom shower is a little small but

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DickandGinger
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

Like another reviewer said, I have never stayed in a place that exceeded my expectations so much. Hugo de Wolf is the owner and he has turned this old building in NE Brugges into an absolute gem (only a couple of minutes walk from Jerasulem Church). My wife and my two toddlers stayed here for 2 nights in late April, and we drove here. Hugo greeted us and offered his parking spot right in front of the building. I left my car key with him and he adjusted the blue timer parking pass so I didn't have to touch my car for the 2 nights. I booked the Japan room through booking.com, and he personally emailed me a couple of days later for confirmation. The Japan Room was beautiful. Painted red and decorated with Japanese flair, it would have been perfect for romantics. Since I had my kids, it was still perfect because it was so large! Plus we had our own bathroom with tub and a living room all to ourselves for only 90 euro a night! Too great a bargain. Hugo recommended some restaurants, and we ate at two of them (see reviews). Upon checking out, Hugo showed me the downstairs, which he is renovating into a wine bar and a garden. It's simply the best place I've ever stayed and I highly recommend it. But hurry up and book before Hugo raises the rates, as my experience there was certainly worth twice his price! Oh...free strong wi-fi too! And breakfast was ample and fresh from the market.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family