“Very Disappointed in Reservation Process/Policy”
Review of A Room with a View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bruges
A Room with a View
Ranked #107 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This is the first “negative” Tripadvisor review I have written. I tried to book a 4 night stay (Aug 18 – 22) at this establishment and am very disappointed at the way policies were applied to me, resulting in my reservation being declined even though there was availability in other rooms. I was even willing to pay the higher room rate since one of the rooms was more costly. I found this decision to decline my reservation completely illogical, and totally unacceptable!

July 22 - I sent a request from to the property owner/manager to inquire about my stay.
Reply: I received an email from the owner that stated there WAS availability in the Vanilla room, instructions to fill out the reservation form, and that she was on vacation until July 26. (I completed the reservation form on the B & B website). I received another reply that stated (quoted) “can we finalize when i am back home end this week, i keep an option for you in the meanwhile”.

Thus, I didn’t spend any more of my time searching for Bruges accommodations, since I had 9 other European cities to book for a trip beginning on August 12.

July 27- I sent the owner another email asking about finalizing my reservation, and to thank her for holding the room. (No response).

July 29 - I sent the owner another email asking to finalize the room and that it was getting to be critical for me since my travel plans were very complex.
Reply: I received a reply that stated she had extended her vacation and apologized for the delay. She informed me that a long-term guest staying in the Vanilla room was extending her stay another month, so the room was no longer available. However, the Santal room was available Aug 17, 18, & 19, and the Orchid room Aug 20+.

ISSUE: I understand that a long term guest’s extension for another month would be honored over my 4 night stay request – I agree with her decision there. But here is where I took issue – I asked if I could rent the available rooms and split my stay between the 2 open rooms due to their availability dates. I would pay the higher rate for the Santal room for the first 2 nights, and then move to the Orchid room for the last 2 nights = 4 nights total. I thought this was a VERY REASONABLE proposal since I just lost the other room after waiting 9 days, and I would be paying MORE money for the new rooms.
Reply July 30: the owner replied that I could NOT rent the AVAILABLE rooms since the Santal room would be left un-rented on Aug 17 as I was only taking Aug 18 & 19 (even though I was also taking another room for an additional 2 nights).
There is a 3 night minimum in the more expensive Santal room, but again, my stay was FOUR nights long and I have no control over which rooms are open or not at this point. After losing my original room to another guest, I was absolutely shocked that I could not be accommodated in the OPEN rooms. She offered to try to find me other accommodations (not what I wanted).

One night un-rented gaps must occur ALL the time, based on customer booking dates in B & B/hotel world. If this is the policy – adhering to 3 night minimum stays PER ROOM, so as to not to create one night vacancies, then that raises an interesting booking scenario where even if policies are followed, one night un-rented gaps would be created all the time – it is inevitable!

Common Scenario: would Customer B’s reservation be honored???
Customer A books the nights of December 1 – 7.
Customer B books the nights of December 8, 9, & 10.
December 8 is un-rented.
Both customers complied with the 3 night minimum rule for their respective rooms.
Customer B’s 3 night reservation created an un-rented room on December 8.
Comparing this to me, my 4 night reservation created an un-rented room but was rejected. That doesn’t even make business sense!

Alas, this is a private house, and the owner can accept and reject bookings at will. My advice – book at your own risk, and make sure you have a back up plan. I travel all over the world (including Europe), and have never experienced this before. PS - I have the email trail to share (upon request) if there is any contest to the facts above.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Tamara954
There are newer reviews for A Room with a View

Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at this charming B&B from the 17.05.12 for 3 nights and it was much more than we expected. The continental breakfast was good with more than enough to choose from.
The room was well equipped which over looked the garden where we had use of a small terrace which was lovely as the weather was quite mild when we were there.

Corine is really friendly and very helpful suggesting restaurants while we were in Bruges and is very proud of her hostings skills which makes the accomodation what it is, excellant. . Room with a View is about 10-15mins walk from the centre and is situated in a very quite residential area which is excellant for getting that all important good nights sleep when you are on an hectic weekend away.

All in all Room with a View is an excellant place to stay and we will definatley be returning to this charming B & B.

Room Tip: Vanilla Room has the use of the terrace
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Archie3103
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the Vanilla room. The location was excellent, the view of the garden was amazing, a small green paradise. Our host was very kind and very helpful, the location just 10 minutes on foot from the center (and a lot less with the bikes available to use whenever you want) in a very quiet neighborhood. This B&B exceeded our expectations

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

What a beautiful B&B in such a charming neighbourhood. Corrine (our host) could not have done enough to accommodate us and was able to recommended the best of Bruges bars, restaurants and attractions. We stayed in the Vanilla room, which was warm and homely with a door for direct access to a large terrace with seating. The B&B had free use of bikes, which was a great way to see the city.

Bruges is a fantastic city and A Room With A View is a wonderful place to stay.

Recommended restaurant: Refter

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We made a last minute decision to go to Bruges for a night and struggled to find anywhere to stay. The tourist information office suggested we try A Room With A View and it turned out to be perfect. As previous reviewers have said it is slightly unusual as guests have their own kitchen to use which suited us. The location is lovely and quiet and having bikes to use to explore further afield is a brilliant touch. We used the "Vanilla" room which was lovely with its own terrace. We were able to look in the other rooms as we were the only guests that night and the "Santal" room would be great for a longer stay or with family. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Just returned from a week-long trip to Belgium and the Netherlands (March 16-23). Stayed four nights at A Room With A View in Bruges and loved it.

Highlights:
1) Location away from the main hustle and bustle of the tourist areas...sounds were of doves cooing and mellow church bells; one morning a group of school children walked by and that was as noisy as it got. Neighbors were Bruges' regular residents and not tourists or shopkeepers. Two beautiful parks within eyesight of the inn, and the canal with windmills just 2 minutes away by bike. The location is also convenient to the Markt and main tourist areas...an easy 10 minute walk (other folks are saying it takes longer, but we must walk fast!), or 5 minute bike ride (bikes come free!). Upon arrival at the train station, we took an hour to walk through town and then to Room With A View, with our backpacks on the whole time. Had we not been detouring for the sights the whole way in, it would have taken less time. We walked to the train station on our last morning...that took 35 minutes and we stopped in the Markt to see the morning market (flowers, cheese, meat, veggies).

2) Bikes that come for free with the rooms (6 bikes for 3 rooms, all with keyed locks). The bikes made it super easy to see many of the nooks and crannies of Bruges that we might have missed otherwise. We biked around the whole area...along the canal to Damme, around the outside of Bruges (windmills and canal), and through the sleepy-winding streets and tourist-filled areas closer to the center. Biking was easy and no-stress except in the super-touristy areas with more automobile traffic. The bikes were fabulous to have and it was lovely to have them on a whim. It is easy to rent bikes in Bruges...but not easy to rent them for 5 minutes here, 30 minutes there, and 3 hours later on. Having them whenever we wanted them was a huge perk.

3). Housekeeping. Room With a View is maybe more like a rental than a bed & breakfast. There is not a breakfast prepared for you each morning that you eat with your host. Instead, the rooms are set up with their own kitchenettes and supplies. Santal room is set up with its own kitchenette and Vanille and Orchide share a similar kitchenette (with a delightful deck that overlooks the backyard and is currently srrounded with blooming jasmine). We had Santal. Corinne, the owner, supplied us with what I will call free starter food...coffee, tea, creamers, milk, orange juice, oranges, a loaf of bread, museli (with Belgian choclate chips in it!), cereal, pastries, butter, cheese, spices (salt, pepper, garlic), chocolates, and more. Non-free food/drink provided included a couple of bottles of local beer and a bottle of wine, and a jar of Belgian beef stew; all came at a very minimal price. This "starter food" covered the "breakfast" portion of the B&B, and some of the "lunch" and "dinner" portions as well! We were able to eat whenever we wanted and we were also able to go to the market and buy pasta, pesto, lunch meats, and a little more. Pots and pans, plates, bowls, silverware, cups, glasses, etc. were provided. Alternating cheap at-home meals allowed us to splurge a little at some of the local restaurants, which we really appreciated.

4). Host. Corinne was always available in case we had questions or needed things we had forgotten at home (like an alarm clock!). Our room had a phone that we could use to call her (she lives next door) and that we could use to make free local calls for things like restaurant reservations and tour reservations (our cell phones are ancient and don't work in Europe and we didn't care to upgrade them before we came). Corinne was also a good source of local information and she had a wealth of flyers from local attractions ready at hand so we didn't need to go to the local tourist information center for those types of things (also she had a Bruges map for our room and parking permit, which we didn't need to use since we came via train from Brussels).

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Biblia
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I along with friends drove to Bruge and stayed at this nice bed and breakfast. We choose the Vanilla room with an incredible view from our terrace. The room was quite romantic (think candle light) and we loved the fact that we could use the bicycles for free. Talk about sore legs the next day, but we loved it, and there are pubs with the best beer (cherry beer for ladies).

Only thing is there wasn't much of a breakfast, but there are many restaurants within walking distance so no biggie.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends