“A trip to Bruges”
Review of A Room with a View

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bruges
A Room with a View
Ranked #113 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2012

After having studied a few years ago in Bruges, my boyfriend and I decided to come back to this magical city for a couple of days this summer. Initially we wanted to stay in another bed and breakfast. However when we arrived there seemed to have been a misunderstanding, there was an over booking; due to the unavailability we had to find a last minute solution and the owner suggested to us to try a Room With a View.
Luckily for us the landlord Corine was so nice that she accepted to take us for a last minute reservation. We had the opportunity to stay in a very tastefully decorated and comfortable room. In fact we were happily surprised with our unexpected accommodation since it was away from the busy touristic center.
This b&b is located in a very calm neighborhood (perfect for a good night sleep) of the historical center from which you could reach the center by walking only 10 minutes or by using the bikes provided by Corine which will take you only 3 minutes. As the name of the B&B mentions we enjoyed the opportunity to savor an amazing view as well as the access to a beautiful terrace and garden. Moreover we could definitely count on our host for suggesting quality restaurants and pubs.
The kindness of our host, the cleanliness of the rooms, the relaxing atmosphere, the proximity to the center, the romantic city, the bike trips are the reasons for which I will definitely come again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ray427

Reviewed 5 August 2012

We shared the room with a view B & B with our friends and had a wonderful time. Our host was friendly and helpful. Location to bike trails and downtown core was perfect, rooms were cozy and distinctive. It was lovely to have a kitchen and sunny deck to sit on and enjoy the churchbells and cooing doves.Best of all was the excellent bikes provided for the duration of our 3 day stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank susan l
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This is the first “negative” Tripadvisor review I have written. I tried to book a 4 night stay (Aug 18 – 22) at this establishment and am very disappointed at the way policies were applied to me, resulting in my reservation being declined even though there was availability in other rooms. I was even willing to pay the higher room rate since one of the rooms was more costly. I found this decision to decline my reservation completely illogical, and totally unacceptable!

July 22 - I sent a request from to the property owner/manager to inquire about my stay.
Reply: I received an email from the owner that stated there WAS availability in the Vanilla room, instructions to fill out the reservation form, and that she was on vacation until July 26. (I completed the reservation form on the B & B website). I received another reply that stated (quoted) “can we finalize when i am back home end this week, i keep an option for you in the meanwhile”.

Thus, I didn’t spend any more of my time searching for Bruges accommodations, since I had 9 other European cities to book for a trip beginning on August 12.

July 27- I sent the owner another email asking about finalizing my reservation, and to thank her for holding the room. (No response).

July 29 - I sent the owner another email asking to finalize the room and that it was getting to be critical for me since my travel plans were very complex.
Reply: I received a reply that stated she had extended her vacation and apologized for the delay. She informed me that a long-term guest staying in the Vanilla room was extending her stay another month, so the room was no longer available. However, the Santal room was available Aug 17, 18, & 19, and the Orchid room Aug 20+.

ISSUE: I understand that a long term guest’s extension for another month would be honored over my 4 night stay request – I agree with her decision there. But here is where I took issue – I asked if I could rent the available rooms and split my stay between the 2 open rooms due to their availability dates. I would pay the higher rate for the Santal room for the first 2 nights, and then move to the Orchid room for the last 2 nights = 4 nights total. I thought this was a VERY REASONABLE proposal since I just lost the other room after waiting 9 days, and I would be paying MORE money for the new rooms.
Reply July 30: the owner replied that I could NOT rent the AVAILABLE rooms since the Santal room would be left un-rented on Aug 17 as I was only taking Aug 18 & 19 (even though I was also taking another room for an additional 2 nights).
There is a 3 night minimum in the more expensive Santal room, but again, my stay was FOUR nights long and I have no control over which rooms are open or not at this point. After losing my original room to another guest, I was absolutely shocked that I could not be accommodated in the OPEN rooms. She offered to try to find me other accommodations (not what I wanted).

One night un-rented gaps must occur ALL the time, based on customer booking dates in B & B/hotel world. If this is the policy – adhering to 3 night minimum stays PER ROOM, so as to not to create one night vacancies, then that raises an interesting booking scenario where even if policies are followed, one night un-rented gaps would be created all the time – it is inevitable!

Common Scenario: would Customer B’s reservation be honored???
Customer A books the nights of December 1 – 7.
Customer B books the nights of December 8, 9, & 10.
December 8 is un-rented.
Both customers complied with the 3 night minimum rule for their respective rooms.
Customer B’s 3 night reservation created an un-rented room on December 8.
Comparing this to me, my 4 night reservation created an un-rented room but was rejected. That doesn’t even make business sense!

Alas, this is a private house, and the owner can accept and reject bookings at will. My advice – book at your own risk, and make sure you have a back up plan. I travel all over the world (including Europe), and have never experienced this before. PS - I have the email trail to share (upon request) if there is any contest to the facts above.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Tamara954
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at this charming B&B from the 17.05.12 for 3 nights and it was much more than we expected. The continental breakfast was good with more than enough to choose from.
The room was well equipped which over looked the garden where we had use of a small terrace which was lovely as the weather was quite mild when we were there.

Corine is really friendly and very helpful suggesting restaurants while we were in Bruges and is very proud of her hostings skills which makes the accomodation what it is, excellant. . Room with a View is about 10-15mins walk from the centre and is situated in a very quite residential area which is excellant for getting that all important good nights sleep when you are on an hectic weekend away.

All in all Room with a View is an excellant place to stay and we will definatley be returning to this charming B & B.

Room Tip: Vanilla Room has the use of the terrace
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Archie3103
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in the Vanilla room. The location was excellent, the view of the garden was amazing, a small green paradise. Our host was very kind and very helpful, the location just 10 minutes on foot from the center (and a lot less with the bikes available to use whenever you want) in a very quiet neighborhood. This B&B exceeded our expectations

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2012

What a beautiful B&B in such a charming neighbourhood. Corrine (our host) could not have done enough to accommodate us and was able to recommended the best of Bruges bars, restaurants and attractions. We stayed in the Vanilla room, which was warm and homely with a door for direct access to a large terrace with seating. The B&B had free use of bikes, which was a great way to see the city.

Bruges is a fantastic city and A Room With A View is a wonderful place to stay.

Recommended restaurant: Refter

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We made a last minute decision to go to Bruges for a night and struggled to find anywhere to stay. The tourist information office suggested we try A Room With A View and it turned out to be perfect. As previous reviewers have said it is slightly unusual as guests have their own kitchen to use which suited us. The location is lovely and quiet and having bikes to use to explore further afield is a brilliant touch. We used the "Vanilla" room which was lovely with its own terrace. We were able to look in the other rooms as we were the only guests that night and the "Santal" room would be great for a longer stay or with family. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple