Bruges harbours tons of B&B, but I would be surprised if many matched "A Room With A View", in quality, location, and service.
The house only has 3 rooms. We stayed in the largest ("Santal"), on the second floor, under the roof, which covers the entire floor plan of the house. The high roof gives an overwhelming sense of space. It is fitted with a large comfortable Queen sized bed, a large sitting area (two sofas which can be converted into sleeping bunks), a small dining table (nicely decorated with an orchid), and a fully equipped kitchen. The view on the towers of Bruges comes for free. Below, I expand on the plusses. There are very few minuses, if any.
1) Situated in a very quiet street, with no through traffic (which can be a misery elsewhere in town because of the cobblestones),within the eastern walls of the old city, 15 mins walk from the market place (less than 5 mins by bike). From the train station, it takes 15 minutes by bus (No. 6). To those objecting it is not central enough, I would reply that I'd rather have a restful night.
2) The entire house was refurbished recently, and it shows. Our room was spotless and welcoming, with ample space, and covered throughout with a wooden floor. Virtually everything comes from IKEA, but it is tastefully selected, and somehow looks better than on the pictures posted on the B&B's website. The shower room is fitted beneath an angle of the roof, and is a bit small, but ok (here is one of the few negatives I could find: the shower curtain billows in and sticks). The studio is ideal for self-catering (vitro ceramic cooktop, fridge, microwave, coffee machine, more pots and pans you need, and all basic cooking ingredients). The fridge offers a small selection of drinks (not even sold at a premium). The two other rooms a smaller and share a cooking/dining facility on the first floor.
3) Four bikes are held at the disposal of the guests, for free! Given
that the B&B can hold up to max. 9 people, there may be a run in the morning (rental shops charge 10 eur/day). Flanders being flat as an iron board, you can easily cycle to the coast or just get around town. The bikes are equipped with locks, but they come without accident or theft insurance.
4) Check-out is at a dismally early 11 o'clock (another of these places where the cleaning lady's work schedule takes precedent over the comfort of the guests). This is offset by the fact that you can leave your luggage for as long as you want (access to the house is via keycode), and freshen up and have a free coffee when you return later in the day. Facilities are on the ground floor.
The owner will only take cash (no cc), and bill is payable on arrival. Although the rate for the "Santal" studio is in the top tier by Bruges standards, I still feel that we had a bargain, because of all the goodies (self-catering facility, bikes, free coffee and tea, truffle and water on the night-table) and its unsurpassable size/volume.
Recommended at 200%, although I would rather keep this place secret. Will definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Room with a view is its name worth! This charming guesthouse is situated in the historical centre, in the heart of “Mystical Bruges”, an oasis of green, quietness and authenticity. The rooms and loft offer a stunning view of the towers of the medieval city. With a good standard of comfort (private bathroom + toilet, smart TV, WIFI), they combine successfully new and old. Terrace, garden, kitchenette and free bikes to move and feel like locals! Close a main street with off the beaten path restaurants, bars and shops. A very good address for an enjoyable stay at an affordable price in central Bruges. ... more less