“Excellent food, service a little offhand” 4 of 5 bubbles

Belle Epoque
Ranked #248 of 701 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, European, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ware, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service a little offhand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The food and wine were very good here, and the art nouveau decor is attractive. The service was just a little less friendy than at other restaurants in Bruges.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Brisbane, Australia
“Genuine Flemish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a restaurant which the locals recommend for a genuine Belgium meal, and we agree.
We shared croquettes and then I had the Flemish stew and my wife had rabbit stew.We enjoyed it all without it being ,best ever!
The Belgium beer was great ,as was the house red.
Suggest a booking is a good idea, we arrived early and by 8pm the queue was out the door.Its not cheap but most of Belgium is a little excel.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BarryJ_100
Portland, Oregon
“I Wish I Could Give It A Zero”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I don't really even know where to begin. I'll start by saying that we never actually ate here and I will explain why. We were actually staying in Ghent (myself, my Husband and my Mother) and took a day trip to Bruges. The weather was horrible, raining, cold and very windy. It was around noon and we wanted to get a light lunch and get out of the rain. Their sign says that they are a Tea House, so we thought this would be perfect and it looked very lovely. We entered the restaurant, which had many other patrons already dining, but there were several empty tables. The gentleman (I use this term very loosely) greeted us at the door extremely rude and asked if we had a reservation. When we said no, he seemed very put out and told us to wait a minute (we were the only people waiting for a table). He came back minutes later and directed us to the table directly in front of us. We sat down and my husband excused himself to use the restroom while my Mother and I looked over the menu. As their menu items appeared to be more heavy than what we wanted for lunch, we decided that we would try another restaurant once my Husband returned to the table. The time frame so far was about 5 minutes. Upon my Husband's return, we got up to leave and informed the same "gentleman" that this was not for us. The "gentleman" immediately demanded payment for the restroom use and stated that "I know your kind." Shocked, we tried to explain to him that we just wanted something light for lunch and some tea (which was no on the menu) and he continued to say that "I know your kind." He demanded .50 Euros for using the restroom, my Husband only had a 5 Euro bill on him, so he asked for change. The "gentleman" brought the change, we paid for the use of the restroom and started to leave. As my Mother and I were exiting the door (into the rain and wind), the "gentleman" grabbed my Husband by the arm and shoved towards the door. My Husband tried again to explain our reason for leaving and again the "gentleman" just said "I know your kind." We exited the restaurant and closed the door. The "gentleman" then came out of the restaurant and began yelling at us that we slammed his door, which we did not. When we told him that we were already out of his restaurant and to please let us be, he began yelling that we were in his country and to behave ourselves. We did not want to have any issues, especially with someone who is clearly disturbed, so we walked back to our car and returned to Ghent where everyone we encountered were incredibly kind and welcoming.

The food here may be wonderful, we don't know, but the man with the grey ponytail is not a very nice person and clearly needs to learn some manners. We have no idea what he meant by "I know your kind," but we just thought that anyone looking up restaurants in this area should know what happened to us.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank DMJacobs2014
Houston
“Tourist trap”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were directed here by our hotel (which is how most people heard of it...don't fall for that recommendation). Upon arrival around 8pm on a Monday, we found the restaurant to be half full and were promptly seated. And then we waited. And waited. Finally, we were able to flag one of the three (not terribly busy) waiters down so we could order wine. Slightly past 8:30, we were finally approached, welcomed, and asked our order. As it turns out, the prix fixe menu ends at 8:30 and everything goes to a la carte from there. The manager was quite adamant that we were not able to order from that menu, despite the ridiculous wait time and lack of service.

I will say that the Flemish stew was good (thanks for the recommendations of those before us). If you enjoy eating with dignity, however, this is probably not your place. The environment was tacky. Ignore your hotel recommendation and go elsewhere.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Our hotel recommended this restaurant as typically Belgian. It was a very enjoyable experience, lovely food and efficient but not rushed service. The decor and background music were a little dated, but it didn't take away from the visit.

Visited June 2014