“Service with a smile” 4 of 5 bubbles

De Brugse Hanze
Price range: US$3 - US$33
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Service with a smile”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

We found this restaurant to be modestly priced despite it's location on a prominent square in Bruges. The food was very good and the service excellent. Our waiter was extremely helpful and showed a great sense of humour despite being very busy. I would recommend this restaurant anytime.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gerard D

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beware the broken card machine”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

Nice enough start but croque Monsieur was a very thin cheese and ham sandwich and fish soup reheated with rubbery bits. Bread was delivered when soup nearly finished. As previous reviewer indicated the card machine mysteriously had just broken even though the special threshold of €25 has been exceeded, server was upset when reminded we were not born yesterday.
Enter at your peril.
(He didn't care that tripadvisors would be warned of the tactics and quality).

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank holidaysinthesun12
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Limited knowledge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Called in here late one morning on a very cold and wet December day. All we wanted was to sit somewhere warm for a half hour and all we wanted was a mug of hot chocolate each. Although it was nearly lunchtime we had warm and friendly service despite our small order and we were not under any pressure to hurry out.
I obviously cannot comment on the quality of the food but our first impressions were good.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Peeceecee
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A place to re-visit-”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

The De-Hanze was my idea of a place to enjoy your meal and a tipple plus a great welcome from the staff and THE young Man (about 5 years old)trainee I suspect.All very pleasant and helpful
The food was first class and service excellent YOU MAY NOT PRINT THIS DUE TO BEING IN DIRECT CONFLICT WITH "SKYGOTRAVELLER"
I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT WAS THE SAME PLACE(ask:malvernian)

• Visited November 2012
Malvern, United Kingdom
“Excellent and Inexpensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

We visited Bruges on the way home from our holiday in Northern Italy. As it was raining heavily when we arrived in the city, we sought out a warm restaurant to have a quick and warming lunch. This restaurant offered a "menu of the day" which looked to be good value, so in we went. 12 euros for a meal consisting of a large bowl of hot vegetable soup with bread (delicious), a good-sized grilled steak with salad (very good indeed), and coffee to follow. My wife chose to have Vegetable Lasagna (11 euros), which she thoroughly enjoyed.

The waiter (owner?) spoke very good English and was helpful in every way. He even helped me to find a good garage nearby so that I could get the flat tyre on my car fixed - and offered to phone ahead to give the garage time to prepare for my arrival. As it happened, I didn't need to use the garage (the "flat tyre" wasn't caused by a puncture - I just had to re-inflate it), but the point here is that he was more than happy to help out a stranger in difficulty. I really couldn't ask for more.

I would recommend this restaurant for a good value lunch.

• Visited June 2012