“great ambiance, so so food”
Review of Rock Fort

Rock Fort
Ranked #61 of 733 Restaurants in Bruges
Price range: US$30 - US$119
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is the place to be for hip Bruggelingen.
There is a good vibe in the place and they serve great cocktails.
The food is good but you come here for the scene, if you want to have a culinary experience, there are a lot of other places to go to (one is right next door)
For a night out with friends this is the right spot.

There are newer reviews for Rock Fort

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were looking for a place to eat for lunch during our visit to Bruges and we came across Rock Fort. The interior looks clean and modern. I ordered the Mar y Muntanya and it was delicious. It came in a little cast iron skillet and you could tell all the seafood was incredibly fresh. There was a good briney-ness about the dish that made it taste like the ocean, in a good way. My friends got other dishes (ravioli which was deconstructed a bit, the salmon small plate, and the fish lunch special) and they were all incredibly good. The regular menu items were a tad pricey, but the lunch special was a very good deal. Highly recommended when in Bruges.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

This restaurant is considered one of the best of Brugges and we went there for my birthday dinner. The menu has strong influences from Catalan/Spanish cuisine and being Catalans, we know what we are talking about.

- Mar i Muntanya: you can blame us for choosing this know knowing what Mar i Muntanya really is (Sea and Mountain, a dish that combines meat, normally chicken, and seafood, typically, langoustines)and reading that they were doing rice with clams and chorizo....still, the rice wasnt good (clams had been cooked aside, not sharing any taste from the rest)....

- Beef tartare: really, how difficult is that? it was over condimented. When you look at the plate, you dont see the meat colour but a melting pot of color. The meat taste totally killed...

- RIP risotto: I loved the presentation and I liked the taste. My partner hated it because he doesnt like lemon and they had already squeezes a lemon for juice on top of the fried calamari. In Spain, lemon is left aside for customer to decide.

I only can speak nicely about the desert, a coulant, again, a piece of cake for a rest that claim to be the best...

Lets continue with the wine. Normally I have a rule that use to work, expensive rest cant afford bad wine in their list, so even if you dont know the wine, you can take the risk. Wrong this time. One of the wines has a lovely name for Spanish standards (La Bruja Averia) but the taste was awful, specially if you charge 8euros a glass (yes, it is not a typo).

About service, it is true that you can see the chefs around but after tasting the food, I wonder if they shouldnt be in the kitchen checking the food....One of the guys looked friendly but the other truly made you feel you werent good enough for them. We mentioned it was my birthday in the reservation, not a single mention or attention....

Still very surprised to read so many excellence reviews...maybe we werent lucky...in anycase I recommend you all to come to Spain to visit the real cuisine with the real taste and for the real cost...

3  Thank Amsterdam14
Reviewed 4 September 2013

One of the best places to go in Bruges, def. a must!!! It also has a great bar with tappas called Bar Salon. Awesome young dynamic personel. A great food experience,
enjoy!

1  Thank bartricardo
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My wife and I had dinner in the Rock Fort in Bruges on a monday evening. Expecting it to be a quiet night, we found it to be fully booked, but luckily found ourselves two comfortable stools at the bar. We decided to go for the tapas menu and ordered some white wines. The cod carpaccio was extraordinary, the tempura shrimp was excellent, and the toast with smoked eel and the salmon carpaccio were succulent. The vibrant ambiance, created by mostly local people, was very pleasant.
Service was very pleasant and knowledgeable and price was albeit reasonable. We had 7 tapas and 6 glasses of wine and paid 72 euros, which in Bruges is very reasonable and by any standard, considering the quality of the food and the service, is reasonable anywhere in Belgium.
The Rock Fort operates a registered cash register, so my check/bill was valid as a VAT deductible, which in Belgium is a plus for your taxes.
Kudos for the Rock Fort!