“great find in brugge”

Sans Cravate
Ranked #244 of 761 Restaurants in Bruges
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: A restaurant with character and personality
Reviewed 9 April 2013

quality service, fantastic Michelin star food, great presentation, freindly staff, we were lucky enough to get a table next to the open kitchen amazing to see the experts at work!

Reviewed 30 March 2013

I like the interiors and, contrary to other reviewers, I found the service quite OK.
The food: one course was excellent (duck breast) one quite OK (ravioli with chicken and shrimps) and the rest was just edible, but did not leave a great impression in the two of us.
What is kind of disappointing is that I had booked via dining with the stars, which should mean a menu at a very good price. Indeed, at 44 euros for 4 courses (56 with an additional course) it's sort of a bargain. But when you add up two flutes of champagne at 13 euros each, in-house treated water at 4.5 euros and coffe at 8 euros, then what you get is not worth what you pay. And the champagne we got was NOT a premium cuvee, rather the opposite. So I felt that what they discount in terms of food, they more than make up with the prices of the "optional".

5  Thank apalmero
Reviewed 24 February 2013

While in town for the Brugge Bierfest my husband and I decided to treat ourselves and try Sans Cravatte, one of the up and coming restaurants in Brugge. We selected Sans Cravatte out of the pack of Michelin-star restaurants based on the "innovative" and "fresh" nature of the food. We dined on Saturday evening so we had the tasting menu. All of the dishes and combinations were indeed innovative and fresh takes on my Belgian/French classics. We were particularly impressed by the desert - a citrus ice cream with a saffron sauce - one of the best dishes we've ever had. However, we were somewhat disappointed with our main - the chicken. It was overcooked and bordering on dry. Something I wouldn't expect from a Michelin quality restaurant. While the service was good there are points for improvement. As the dishes were presented a member of the chef's team would describe the ingredients and preparation which was greatly appreciated however the sous chefs level of English was substandard. Also, when seated the hostess tried to seat us directly across from the kitchen. When I explained that we preferred the table in the corner, she was clearly irritated that we didn't want that particular seat. Once we finished we had to wait more than 30 minutes for our bill to arrive. It was only when I got up and took my own coat from the hangers did the hostess come running with the bill. While our choice of table was much better we didn't feel the need to sit and wait. While I can't say we would go back, perhaps after the staff has had a chance to improve the service we'll return.

2  Thank cmadisong
Reviewed 7 February 2013

We had dinner on a Saturday in February. I agree with the previous reviews. Great food at how food at a Michelin star should be but compared with other Michelin star restaurants in Belgium (and in & around Bruges...) overpriced.
Not because of the quality and presentation of the dishes but because of irritating things like :
- No warm welcome
- Unfriendly staff (including the chef's spouse)
- Understaffed to provide good service / during the first half hour you had the impression that you had to finish the 6 course dinner in < 2 hours. We asked to keep some more time between the dishes...For 1 course the wine was served after the dishes were served - unacceptable for a Michelin Star restaurant.
- Cold interior / no flowers / some seats are véry close to the kitchen
- 1 Toilet

Be aware that if you book on Saturday you have to pick 1 of the menu's (no option to go à la carte) and we would like to warn you that in case you pick the wine arrangement you will only get 1 glass of wine/dish. Although this is not marked on the menu it was communicated in a direct way when we asked for a refill. (First time we had this in a Michelin star restaurant). I am also missing a sommelier ; the way the 'maitre' (same wife as above) was presenting the wine selection, was worse than you see in a standard restaurant with EU kitchen. Water bottles are just put oin the table & you have to serve yourself. And if you pick the 'cheese' instead of the sweet dessert (supplement required) don't expect that they will overwhelm you with a wide variation of Belgian & Dutch cheeses....just 1 dessert with some warm cheese inside.
Nice thing : dishes are served & presented by the chef and his team. They deserve the credits!
Conclusion : if you're in Belgium (and Bruges) and you have some money left to spend at a Michelin star restaurant, there are other places where you get a better value for money. It's dissapointing to conclude that the service and overall behavior of the staff is below average, NOT the food.

2  Thank Frank-Ilse
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We don't dine at Michelin-star restaurants often, so when we do it's a bit of an event. We were welcomed by the owners and seated next to the kitchen. At first we were afraid it would be too noisy but our fears were unfounded. On the contrary: it was fun to peek into the kitchen for time to time.

We visited on a Saturday and on Saturdays there is only one menu, with the option of ordering matching wines with each course. The wines were presented with little to no background information. That was a bit disappointing, even if most of the info would've gone over my head. I just like to think it's all part of the luxury you pay for.

The food was exquisite, although I realize we don't visit fancy restaurants enough to consider ourselves experts. Each course came with a short introduction by the waiter and the staff was very friendly throughout.

By the time we left several hours later we were more than satisfied. Next time we're in Brugge we're likely to return.