“Don't bother”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 28 May 2011

If you are expecting 5 star hotel quality think again. The pool water is cloudy. My daughter cut her foot on the mouldy decking round the pool. The room was okay then one day we came back from town and there was water pouring through the ceiling due to faulty air conditioning. Luckily none of our belongings were damaged. Then in the middle of the night I heard sparking and discovered the tap which was leaking and had been flooding the wash area all visit was now dripping onto electrics under the sink. We were able to turn the electricity supply off to the room but i was unable to sleep with worry about what next. When we checked out and requested they consider a discount considering what we had endured I was told it was up to me to inform them of problems, they took no responsibility! I was told these things happen in ones home, it is normal, em, actually I don't have water dripping on electrics in my home AND I don't charge people to stay in my home.
We left with the understanding that the director would call us to discuss. When we returned home they had charged the full amount to my card. If this hotel had been in my own country I would be taking legal action.

Bruges is a lovely place, the people are lovely. Try a different hotel - don't stay here.

• Stayed: April 2011
8  Thank Rmackay
Write a ReviewReviews (2,944)

Reviewed 26 May 2011

As usual prior to a trip I checked the reviews on this hotel..it is everything that you all have said, wonderful place and the food was to die for...Apart from being woken on a Sunday morning at 7am to a TV that had automatically turned itself on 'full blast' 3 TIMES!!

One of the reviewers mentioned how shocked they were to be asked to pay, for one night, 30 euro on departure for parking! I called the hotel in advance and asked was this still the case and they assured me not. On departure paying the bill, there was a 30 euro charge for guess what...parking!

Surely when you pay 200-500 euro for a room (breakfast not incl.) you can not be expected to pay for parking your car! Finally for a 5* hotel I would have considered it good customer service not to charge the 30 euro as an apology for the early wake up calls!!

1  Thank bxl_redrobin
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Took a taxi from the Brugges train station and was dropped off in the gates at the Palace! Very regal entrance and pulling up in a Mercedes SUV into the forecourt was quite lux!

Check in was rather smooth and I liked they way you sit at the desk while check in is arranged. Definately see this being a little frustrating as there are only two staff on at the desk at any given time! This may be the cause of long waits if there are many guests checking in at one time or having questions for the concierge! Fortunately we never experienced a delay at anytime during our three night stay.

We were placed in a deluxe room although from the room I thought we were getting and the room we actually got, I think we were upgraded! We were on the top floor of the building with views of the back garden and the "red dog"! Room 516! The room had a large foyer with a wall of closets, safe, ironing board, etc.... The foyer had a frosted wall which seperated the very large bathroom with seperate shower and bathtube. The living area had a king bed plus a full on living room with three sets of french balconies. Great entertainment system and I loved the speaker in the washroom that played what was playing on the TV. That was a first for me! I don't get excited over phones in washrooms anymore as I have yet to actually use one! The speaker system was cool!

Of course the service in the hotel was amazing. No complaints there. The pool, gym and sauna and steam room where a nice touch as well!

My only complaint during our stay was on Thursday night there was a large group of hotel guests out on the back patio making quite a bit of noise well after midnight! The windows were far from soundproof and I had to call the desk to ask them to ask the guests to keep the noise down! The front desk sounded shocked of this request but the group did make less noise after this! I am suprise no other guests on lower floors just about the patio were not complaining!

We also had room service breakfast and it was very delicious and hot! Worth the splurge!

We had arranged with the taxi driver who drove us to the hotel to drive us to the Brussels airport on checkout! Her rate was 175 euro which was much cheaper than the hotel was offering! Definately shop around if you want to save upwards of 50 euro!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I am so glad i choose this Hotel for my stay in Brugge.

When i first arrive at the train station, the taxi driver that picked us up already let us know that where we are going ( the hotel) is the best they got there in Brugge. Well he was not wrong at all. From the moment we arrived there the place was simply perfection. People where friendly and 100% professional. Had dinner at their wonderful restaurant at night and went for drinks later at the lounge outside.

The hotel gives you a very good vibe and people working there will help you with everything. I asked from them to even book me a good restaurant in the city which they were more than glad to help me on this request.

Room was very big with all facilities drawn down to the last detail. Very nicely decorated, clean with very big bed and plasma t.v. I also liked one of their "offers" - paying an amount and getting all movies unlocked , high-speed internet and all calls(national - international ) free for 24 hours. Surely saved some money there since i didn't have to use my phone.
Spa was excellent clean and stuff very friendly.

Will definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 11 May 2011

I have to admit that I was afraid that the Kempinski Hotel Line would not live up to its name, but the whole experience was a beautiful surprise. The hotel is absolutely 5 stars, beautifully located in the historic center of Bruges, amazing building (it was really a Duke's Palace), modern well-equiped spacious rooms, luxurious bathroom, efficient channel selection, adequate breakfast, indoors swimming pool, sauna, hammam and fitness center, spa, great staff, the internet however once again in Belgium not free (I really don't get this) but not so expensive 5 euros for one day for the basic connection.

1  Thank babyili
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We stayed in a Superior Double and paid £208 through Last Minute.com which was roughly half price compared to booking direct.

Positives - Very Clean / Super Central Location / Relaxing Garden and bar area

Negatives - Expensive at £208 let alone £400+ / charge additional 30 Euros for 24 hour parking / 5 Euro charge for WiFi / despite booking a double we were given a twin and upon complaining there merely pushed the beds together

Overall entirely pleasant stay,but there was nothing exceptional about it for the money.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2011

a beautiful hotel, the rooms were large and very nice, large bathrooms...the staff was excellent...loved our stay there...

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family