“I would have stayed longer in Brugges”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
“I would have stayed longer in Brugges”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I just came back from a trip to Europe with my wife and I must say that
Brugges is a beautiful fairy tale city and the Kempinski Hotel is the perfect complement, Old world outside and renovated with all the modern luxuries
of a five star hotel inside. The staff is very friendly and elegant specially
Mathias and Muriel who always helped us with a smile.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oxforshire
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We loved our stay at the Kempinski, If you want great service, extremely helpful staff, great ambiance then this is the place for you, only one thing I would do differently, please, please change the reception structure, it’s almost like sitting in front of the head master, not sure who the guy was, but he was like a machine. Very efficient, but just machine like.
On our arrival we booked 2 massages in the spa, for Sunday PM. We arranged our day around this, so you can imagine how disappointed we were when we turned up and they knew nothing about it.
Not sure how this happened but it did and it spoilt our day.
Also asked for some tissues for the bathroom, they never turned up.
Stay there again? Yes probably.

Köln
Reviewed 26 June 2011

'We travelled to Bruges to celebrate my wife`s birthday and booke a suite at the Kempinski Hotel Duke´s palace. Arrival was perfect, hotel really beautiful and staff at the reception really nice and helpful (as wished they arranged a two floor suite for us - as we were travelling with our son). The suite itself nice and cosy.....so far everything fine!
When we returned from our birthday dinner the trouble began: I was not sure whether our reservation included breakfast or not, therefore I asked the receptionist and he confirmed that breakfast was included in the room rate. Happy we sank into our comfortable bed, only to notice after a couple of minutes that the entire room was full of moskitos.....After two hours of trying to ignore them, which did not work with about 10 different bites, I decided at 03.00 am to take on the battle, various spots on the walls suggested that I was not the first to do so. After almost 3 hours, half a liter of blood loss and over a dozen killed moskitos I finally found some 2,5 hours of sleep.
When we did the checkout after the breakfast buffet (normal type of buffet), I first was told that the breakfast was not included in the room rate and will be charged and after having been asked how by stay was my answer "sleepless in a room full of moskitos" was absolutely ignored.
So all in all I was charged 520 EUR for one night at a lovely hotel, but wit almost no sleep and a service attitude, which I did not experience from Kempinski before.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Choroni94
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2011

A perfect location matched with a delightful historical residence makes the Kempinski a real treat. The rooms are generous in size and the whole establishment exudes a wonderful warmth and charm.If you want the best in location surrounded by obliging service and well heeled patrons, this hotel delivers.

2 Thank Lynden K
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The arrival through the gated entrance is most impressive, the welcome once inside, a little less so. The receptionists were rather unfriendly and slow with their various paperwork. Both my wife and I had to show some indentification, and that's a first for me. Finaly we were taken to our room, a deluxe suite, by a very nice dorman.

The deluxe suite in the old part of the building was in fact a very large rectangular room, nicely decorated with high quality materials, though no antiques or special features as their website photo might suggest.
But it was a very comfortable room, well furnished, impeccably clean, and a wonderfully large bed with high quality bedding. Nice marble bathroom, with an array of Molton Brown products.
However, I completely fail to understand why, oh why, do many new hotels feel the need to have a glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom?! The glass was smoked, so at least you can get a little privacy, some hotels have actually got totally transparent glass; (why even bother to put a glass wall then?) But the thing is, even with smoked glass, if someone ever needed to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, they will wake up their parteners as the bathroom's light will shine right through to the bedroom.

And then I was in for a nasty surprise as I descended into the lobby; the duty manager walked up to me and told me, rather embarassed, that the person who took my car to the hotel's underground car-park had problems parking it. He then took me to the car-park, and there was the car, with large and deep dents and scratches on the side of its front bumper.

What was extremely surprising is that the car itself is quite small, and the car-park is vast, with lots of lights and many free spaces. My shortsighted grandmother could have easily parked here.. So what did actually happen, why did the person who drove the car hit an isolated pillar? The manager gave some confused explanations. Quite simply, he was not at all convincing.
I was then told the next day by the dorman that due to a big shortage in staff, a woman -assistant/receptionist was told to park the car.
Clearly she could only ride a bicycle.
This to me is bad management, more than anything else, and that for a hotel of this high price and standard, this should simply not happen.

The hotel did accept full responsability, and filled all the inssurance forms. They also gave us a bottle of champagne for the trouble, which is not hugely generous as I am now having to cope with inssurance paperwork and garage appointments, very tedious and time consuming.

I do hope that the Kempinski will improve, especially on the management side of things, as it could be then the best hotel in Bruges.
In the meantime, if you do go, just a couple of advices. One, take a torch for the bathroom, or bring some eyeshades, and two : park your own car!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travellingKoalas
London, UK
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Just back from a weekend staying here, we were very pleased that we'd chosen this hotel. We loved everything about it, the room was great, our bathroom was enormous, the staff were very pleasant and cheerful, we slept very well in the large, comfy bed. We appreciated the blackout curtains and sound proofing too, didn't hear anything from anybody all night. Great location, right in the centre but away from the noise. The swimming pool is small but lovely for unwinding after a long journey.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2011

W stayed from June 16th to 19 an had a great time at the hotel. Staff were friendly and welcominng and everything was perfect. The knowledge and enthusiasm of our waiter at dinner regarding the wines and food was great. We really liked the Spa and visited every afternoon to refresh from the day's walking in preparation for the evening.