“Amazing Hotel!”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 6 September 2008

We just came back from a 3 night stay at the Kempinski - Duke's Palace. It was an amazing place: beatifully decorated, beautiful large rooms, excellent location, excellent food and friendly and helpful staff. Not cheap but definitely worth it!
Will definitely love to go back.

Reviewed 3 September 2008

Fabulous hotel - very centrally located and convenient for the sights of Bruges. All rooms are individually decorated (although it's really only the suites that vary considerably in lay-out and size, the standard rooms are quite similar) very tastefully done and a good size. Some suites are historically listed and have original features in (might be artwork, or a fireplace, etc). Bathrooms are quite spacious (massive in most of the suites which also seem to have Molton Brown toiletries rather than the standard hotel-own in the standard rooms) and fully equipped. Rooms either have slight city views of the Spires (not the best as slightly over a flat roof that wasn't particularly inspiring) or over the gardens which are filled with modern artwork. Beds are very comfortable, but although I tried two different pillows on the pillow menu, they both seemed to be the same - a little soft for my liking, but I still had a good night's sleep.

A fabulous Champagne breakfast with a huge variety - definitely recommended! The restaurant at the hotel was superb too - the food was of a very high standard and absolutely delicious. The bread was fantastic - I recommend the slightly aniseedy one that looked like a bullet. My scallop starter was cooked to perfection. I found the meal size to be perfect - not too big but not too small (although be careful about filling up on the bread - they came around repeatedly and it was so damn tasty it was hard to say no!). Cocktails in the bar were reportedly delicious.

Spa was very nice too - I believe it's the only hotel-spa in Bruges. There's an indoor swimming pool (it was being utilised on our tour so I couldn't accurately gauge size as we didn't go in).

We also dined at the Breydel de Coninc restaurant www.breydel-deconinc.be (a short walk away from the hotel - well, most things are in Bruges!) which was wonderful - I shared a lobster with a friend and (predictably for Belgium) the frites were fabulous. The dessert (meringue with raspberry coulis and ice cream) was also fantastic and I really enjoyed it. Other members of our group recommended the mussels wholeheartedly. Decor was very light and airy - quite modern, and definitely classy (but not in an obstrusive or stuffy way). I'd definitely return here.

On our last day we had lunch at the De Koetse (www.dekoetse-brugge.be) which was also very good, although a lot darker and more wintry in decor (I guess you'd call it traditional). Food was of a high standard and they cook their meat over an open flame. I had a steak which was quite good - being pregnant I had to have it well done (ugh!) but I had a sneaky taste of my friend's medium steak which was superb. The ubiquitous mussels, oysters and lobsters were also on offer, along with the frites - again, all of a very good standard.

A great little chocolate shop that I've been going to for years is the Chocolatier Dumon, just around the corner from the hotel on the way to the main square. For something a little different I'd recommend the dark chocolate-covered marshmallows - the best I've ever eaten, and a lovely, lighter way to enjoy delicious Belgian chocolate. They have two shops in Bruges at Walstraat 6 [-] and Eiermarkt 6 [-].

Bruges is a fabulous destination for a quick weekend break and Eurostar is definitely the easiest way to get there. Your ticket to Brussels is valid for travel to any onward destination in Belgium within 24 hours of arrival (or departure for the return journey). On arrival in Brussels Midi-Zuid, just check one of the screens for the next Bruges departure and head to the platform. If you're travelling in Leisure Select or Business Premier, you'll be able to travel in first class on the domestic rail which is worth noting. Train times are available on www.brail.be and the service takes approx. 1 hour and departs around every half hour.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank BeeTheTravelAgent
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I hold high expectations on the Kempinski Duke's Palace hotel in Bruge.
Yet the overall experience is great but with a slight disappointment.

The location is close to shops and sights, while Bruges is a small town within walking distance. Taxi fare from the train station is 12.50Euro, but it's cheaper from the hotel to the train station, the meter showed 5.50 Euro, we were told by the driver of 8 Euro.

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of tourist information esp in English from the Hotel. may be it's low season, there isn't a concierge in the hotel. The front desk is small but friendly.
We didn't get tourist info after getting off the train, assuming Kempinki group would have more info on Bruges for us. To the contrary we were given one map and a booklet in French.

I booked a superior Junior suite and I was told it's an upgrade while I don't think so. We were put on a first floor overlooking the so called garden backyard which seems like a playground of a subdivision neighborhood. Throughout this Europe trip, we were told we ve got an upgrade in the room in the majority of the hotel. I guess these are gimmic strategy to make house guests feel good only. The hotel seemed very low in occupancy.

The room is filled with renaissance period pictures and moulding ceiling which I wasn't very fond of. Lighting was a bit insufficient, The bed was comfy, An excellent choice of amenities in the bathroom - Molton Brown, The bed is comfortable and mind all North American & Asian travellers, there is no coffe/tea making facilities in the room.
The design of the room is not practical, the closet is next to the bed near the bedroom door . It should be place in the small area right in front of the bath room door.

The restaurant Manuscript is excellent, we enjoyed the intricate gourmet dinner there. The Chef was professional enough to visit with each table.

It might be low season, i have to agree with other posters that the hotel lack warmth and character, rather boring.

Bruges is picturesque, Don't miss the boat ride.
I

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank yrtx4e
Reviewed 24 August 2008

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in August 2008.

It is a clean, beautiful, stylish and comfortable hotel - albeit expensive. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is close to everything.

The layout of the hotel isn't that great - the reception desk at the front entrance doesn't really 'work'. However, the staff were friendly. We found this hotel slightly boring. There isn't much of an atmosphere. However, if you want a discreet and quiet hotel then this is it.

The bedroom was very clean and the bed was so comfortable. The maid service and turn down service was very efficient. The bathroom was stylish but the walk-in shower wasn't that great. The water went from hot to cold all the time and the showerhead wasn't powerful.

The only negative design flaw regarding the bathroom was the window (with a blind) between the bedroom and bathroom. I thought it was slightly tacky ...and a completely pointless design feature. Also, we had an ugly view of a brick wall out of our window (in other words ...no view).

We didn't have breakfast or dinner at the hotel since we thought it was really overpriced. The bar was very civilised and there is an excellent garden / terrace out back. We enjoyed our nightcaps at this bar.

When we checked out of the hotel the receptionist presented us with a bill for the mini-bar in our room - which we never used. However, she cancelled the charges and apologised for the mistake.

I doubt we would stay at this hotel again - but maybe...

1  Thank Reader
Reviewed 4 August 2008

The Kempinski Hotel in Bruges is really fabulous. It's a lovely mixture of the old and new. The rooms are spacious, luxurious and extremely comfortable - the lighting is great too. Fantastic location, friendly staff - especially in the dining room at breakfast. Quiet and after just one night there we felt like we'd had a weeks holiday. Perfect for a romantic getaway to see this beautiful city.

Reviewed 17 June 2008

Elegance and luxury abound. Exceptional value as we were able to get an introductory rate given the May '08 recent opening. The top of the line furnishings, linens, and decor. The staff could not have been nicer and more solicitous. Every restaurant recommendation was superb. Our rate had breakfast included...and what a breakfast it was. One I will always remember.
We also loved the Quasimodo bike tour.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 2 June 2008

The hotel was in a fantastic location- very quiet but off the main street. For a new hotel there were a few minor issues- hairdryer blew up when I first tried to use it, swimming pool was freezing and toilet started blocking up!

Dukes breakfast complete with a glass of Moet, omelette, pastries, smoked salmon, fresh juice is a fantastic treat- so much food and great room service.

Overall a fantastic stay and a good value- I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple