“Most luxurious hotel we've ever been to”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
London
“Most luxurious hotel we've ever been to”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

First off - an admission - we would never have been able to afford this hotel if it hadn't been for Secret Escapes (thank you SE!) We don't normally stay in 5* hotels, so this may factor into this review :)

However I know good service when I see it and a business that is well run with the customer in front of mind.

We had great service from all of the staff from the chambermaids who remembered I'd asked for extra shampoo and put extra everything in our room, to the concierge and someone who could've only been a manager personally picking up the chocolate I accidentally dropped at breakfast.

The breakfast was phenomenal with a huge array of choices and the icing on the cake being bubbly and chocolate served too! Best bit was the generous serving time (7:30-10:30) compared to many UK hotels who stop serving at 9.

The bed was unbelievably comfy and it was a real heartache to get up every morning - even if it was to go to Brugge! Loved the fact that you could see the TV through the window in the bathroom although I will say instructions on how to close the blinds on the window would've been much prefered for the rest of the time! Only "negative" thing I could say really.

Very knowledgeable bar staff, recommended some lovely local beer for us to try and FoH staff helped us book our travel home really easily.

Overall I can't thank the staff enough for an amazing trip. I wish I could live here!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed here on 11th August for 2 nights and it is truly a 5 star experience. From the moment you walk through the door the staff are courteous, helpful and professional. The rooms are luxurious, spacious and clean. It is located in the centre of Bruges close to all the sites. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel. In fact this hotel is a good reason to visit Bruges.

Room Tip: Just book. This hotel is perfection.
1 Thank John V
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here for four nights at the beginning of August and had a great time!

First day we arrived we had been travelling since the very early morning so at night took advantage of room service which was very prompt in arriving. The only criticism we had was that the menu is limited, the food that we had, however was very good. Two of the evenings we spoke with reception about the type of food we wanted and for restaurant recommendations. They were really helpful booking a table for us and the recommendations were absolutely spot on. In fact, we thought the reception staff were fantastic.

We tried the Spa, It wasn't busy at all, which is fortunate becuase there are only four loungers to relax on, and we were disappointed that there was no longer a swimming pool at the hotel, but the facilities that are there are ok.

The public areas/lounges are very well looked after and clean, clean, clean. We were fortunate enough to have some sunshine and the outside patio from the bar is a lovely quiet place to lounge in the comfy chairs and have a relaxing drink.

We had a room with a city view and to hear the church bells in the early evening was lovely. The room was very clean, comfortable and the bathroom was immaculate and very well maintained with lots of nice L'occitane toiletries. Loved the walk in shower and the underfloor heating! All in all really comfortable and we would definately stay here again. Our only disappointment with the room was the fact that we had twin beds, that said the beds themselves were extremely comfortable but not what we are used to with our lovely big superking bed at home!

What we will also remember is the breakfast - it is awesome!

1 Thank Deanostraat
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

I arrived late to check into the hotel greeted by rude staff who act bothered with my questions. I was juggling several bags and not even one offer to help with my injured leg which clearly had a cast. Which at a real 5 star would never happen. Ok brushed that off I'm on holiday! Then as I check into my room it looked pretty average nothing like a 5 star which I've been to plenty. I really had wished it was better since I'm going to be celebrating my birthday here and wasn't cheap :( I guess suck it up and make the most of it in this beautiful city but what a disappointment

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Krnblondii
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Approaching up to this hotel you have to say it has the wow effect!But when you start the process of checking in and then going to your room and start searching through your room to see what you have then things start to change.
We stayed there in July and had an up-grade to a de-luxe suite,the reception staff are very nice but some have a certain arrogance about them,the interior of the hotel looks amazing but then you get to the room which was don't get me it was pretty amazing but it was one of those rooms where you know that the room had just been dumped there because there was nothing else to put there,the coffee machine was not working(which i have say was a real effort to get it changed at €600 per night there really shouldn't be any discussion),the carpet was coming apart and the room was dusty and just let down,i mean where are the floor checks which should be done the floor manager.
Moving onto breakfast,the buffet was amazing but not enough staff and definitely not enough managers tables full of dirty plates(it looked like a free for all),and the sugar bowls its not done by topping them up with fresh crystal sugar you have to empty them now and again so the sugar on the bottom doesn't all stick together.
Seen these types of hotels before,they think because they have 5* they are un-touchable and then they begin to lose their goal then the standards start to slip!!
Would I stay there again!maybe but not worth the prices they charge.

Room Tip: Dont have a corner suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We stayed in a family suite for 2 nights in August. The building is great - beautiful old façade, modernised and furnished sympathetically. The location is perfect, right in the centre of town near all the main attractions and shopping streets. The hotel has its own car park which whilst pricey at €25 a day is well worth it given the lack of parking around! The suite worked well for us with plenty of space. Basic wifi was provided which seemed plenty fast enough. We ate out on both days we were there as there are so many great bistros to choose from or even coffee shops for breakfast within 2 or 3 minutes walk. (and €25 euros per person for breakfast in the hotel is pricey). I'm not sure this is quite the 5 star hotel I expected - the maid didn't really tidy the room in the way you find in other 5 star hotels, evening 'turndown' literally involved turning over the corner of the duvet, not even closing curtains, etc and there were a few issues with our Aircon which they tried to solve but then didn't check back to see whether they had fixed it. (and they hadn't!!) that said it is a lovely building in a great location so worth visiting.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I have been travelling an average of 200 days a year for the past 15 years and typically stay in 5 star hotels. My family and I stayed here in July and we were totally disappointed. We stayed at the most expensive room 600 plus USD a night, and it was a fiasco. The primary reason for that room was their well advertised in-room Jacuzzi. After spending over 30 minutes trying to start the Jacuzzi, i decided to dress up and head down to the reception again only to be told: "Sorry but it does not work" and they should have told you at check in time, which of course they never did. In fact, when we were escorted to our room, no one gave us a tour of the room showing us the thermostat, phone, wifi instructions, etc, as is customary in all 4 star and up hotels. Moreover, the hotel restaurant closed very early and the room service menu was by far the skimpiest selection almost resembling a kids menu at your average neighborhood restaurant. I found this totally ridiculous in a city like Brugge which is visited by a world of nationalities with different body clocks and customs. The hotel staff for the most part was rather arrogant to the point where one felt as if they were doing us a favor. Finally, when the time came to check out, no one in their staff offered to assist us with our luggage even though we had in excess of 6 pieces, and so we ended carrying it all ourselves to the hotel parking lot after traversing two flight of stairs. We will never ever stay there or come near it again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family