“Luxury, at a price”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Let me start by saying the hotel was very nice, bordering on posh, starting with the first impression: an entry down a side street, into a courtyard and then into the 'lobby,' which is more like a large alcove than the impersonal registration desks at most hotels. Our room - including the bathroom - was spacious and well decorated.

If you are in Bruges and want a luxurious stay, this is the hotel - just be prepared to pay for it. For example, they charge 20 euros for internet service and even charge for use of the computers in the business center - at a time when almost all hotels offer both for free. Breakfast was 30 euros per person. However, the hotel is centrally located and within a five minute walk you can find a large number of cafes where, for 40 euros four of us had our fill of coffee, croissants and scrambled eggs.

Overall, the experience was positive and we'd recommend a stay there, particularly if you can find a good price on the internet.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,982)

Reviewed 26 August 2010

An absolutely amazing hotel featuring classic luxury with flawless service. The perfect place to relax and be spoiled for a few days. The rooms are posh, quiet, and wonderfully comfortable with every ammenity available, including heated tile bathroom floors, and reasonably priced internet. They offer 2 internet plans - one for only 5 euros - this plan is more than enough bandwidth. I even made calls with skype. I can't imagine a reason anyone would need the higher priced service unless they're using video.

The hotels location is perfect for shopping and exploring. Right off one of the main shopping streets you're a 2 minute walk from Market Square and between the hotel and Market Square are numerous cafes, bistros, restuarants, and tea rooms. There's also a grocery store a minute walk from the hotel.

The spa facilities are also wonderful - and I highly recommend the relaxation massage. It was just what I needed after a long plane flight. I can't comment on the restaurant, I didn't eat at the hotel, but the capuccino in the bar is wonderful.

I was lucky enough to catch the first snow of the year, it happened during my first night at the hotel and thanks to jet lag I was up before dawn to enjoy it in peace and quiet. After dawn, but before the town gets humming, I went out an explored - absolutely magical, especially the area around the cloisters.

I'll definately be back.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We stayed at this beautiful and romantic hotel for 3 nights and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff is so welcoming and knowledgable. The elegant rooms are luxurious, the hotel is architecturally stunning and in a quiet courtyard away from the busy tourist crowds of Brugges. Absolutely the best service and hotel in Brugge and perhaps all of Belgium!

1  Thank curatedguide
Reviewed 24 August 2010

.. Having scrutinised trip advisor before booking , I had my fingers well and truly crossed.... the building was beautiful and the staff were friendly and professional.... however, I was really disappointed.
Despite being a 5 star hotel (which was well overrated), there was no tea and coffee in the room, the breakfast was €30 pp (and it looked awful) and the room was basic (apart from being full of creepy pictures).... It was a birthday treat for my boyfriend and I wished i'd booked somewhere else.. He said it was fine.. which it was.. but for that amount, I expected exceptional, not fine!.. they also left me an electric wire (off a plug) caught up in the towel, which cut me.. and they did nothing about it.... lastly - WIFI was €25 per day!! what a rip off

Reviewed 18 August 2010

From the moment our Satnav (very glad we had it) took us down the lane that leads to the Kempinski the hotel was exemplary.
The delightful doorman whisked our car away. The handsome reception person took us to our light and airy junior suite in the new building. Super king (super comfortable) bed, decent seating area, Molton Brown in the bathroom and the now ubiquitous but always welcome Espresso machine in the mini bar. As an overnight stop this was ideal.
The bar area had indoor and outdoor options and was a pleasant and comfortable area for pre dinner drinks. The house sparkling wine at 7 Euros for a generous glass went down well. We enjoyed dinner at Manuscript restaurant – delicious oysters and a well cooked and perfectly presented Dover sole. Being critical it slightly lacked atmosphere – i.e. it was a bit ‘hotel dining room’ rather than ‘fine dining restaurant’ but that is picky.
We don’t eat much breakfast so ordered one continental breakfast which was brought to our room within 20 minutes of phoning. This was more than enough food (we left most) for two of us to start our day sightseeing. We found the hotel to be admirably located to this end.
Worthy of note is the large garden to the rear of the building offering an oasis in the centre of this busy town. Excellent stay. Would return if back in Bruges.

1  Thank Fleetcat
Reviewed 13 August 2010

The hotel has great kerb appeal - and was without a doubt the most attractive looking hotel that we saw. It is beautifully presented throughout and very well maintained. Check-in was welcoming and efficient, we were provided with a map of Bruges and had the main attractions/shopping areas explained to us. We were also provided with some excellent and throughtful restaurant recommendations - which was appreciated. Our room (a superior room) was situated in the new part of the hotel, and was exceptionally well presented, spacious and modern - the bathroom was excellent, the bed very comfortable, and it was very clean. However, we did discover that the connecting door between our room and the one next-door was left unlocked - this was apparent when the guest next door popped their head into our room for a look! Although reception did arrange for the door to be locked immediately, this was an unwelcome surprise.

At turndown service each of us had a complementary bottle of mineral water on the bedside table - we found this a nice touch. Although, turndown was very early 2/3 nights we stayed (7.20-7.30) which was inconvienient when getting ready for dinner. On our second night we had a drink in the bar (the service was friendly and efficient) and then dinner in the restaurant. The dinner was exceptional and the service was fantastic.

Unfortunately on the third day/evening we found a few more niggles with the hotel - when we returned to our room although housekeeping had been, they had done a very poor job - the bed was poorly made, the tiled floor in the bathroom and entrance to the room did not appear to have been swept or cleaned and the bins had not been emptied - not the standard that you would expect from a 5* hotel. During drinks and dinner in the bar - the water made two mistakes with our orders and at one point during the evening we had to wait 30-40 mins before a member of staff came to take our orders (the bar was not busy at the time).

Overall - we had a lovely stay and would definatiely consider staying at the Duke's palace again if we were to go to Bruges... just a shame that a few little things spoilt our impression on the last day.

Reviewed 6 August 2010

I have struggled with this review. To me, there was something missing in this hotel but it is hard to define.
This hotel is very well-placed - it's easy to walk to all the sites but set back in a quiet little street.
We had an enjoyable one night stay here, staying in one of the signature suites on several levels. I hadn't realised until we arrived that our suite was not in the main building, but in an annexe. The ceilings were rather low but the bathroom was excellent (plus a guest half bathroom) and the beds were extremely comfortable.
All of our needs were met politely by the staff, but a couple of times I found service rather slow: sitting in the garden having a drink for example; it was quite hard to attract someone's attention to order. Breakfast was ordinary and I found the display of different foods on tables or in cupboards around the dining room and upstairs a bit irritating - the layout just didn't work for breakfasts.
If I returned to Bruges I would be happy to stay there again and it is comfortable but this isn't a hotel I would rave over.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family